weight lifting

i used to bench press before i started pitching; i stopped because i heard that it can hinder your velocity, especially if u keep increasing the weight you do , is this true?

Your gonna get a bunch of different ansewers.

yeah i figured lol

If you choose to just do exercises to improve only one area of your body and neglect the other areas, I can definitely see it hindering mechanics.

Nah, it’s not going to effect your mechanics … but it’s important to balance out the pressing with pulling exercises, preferably 2-1. In other words, do two scap exercises (pull) for every bench exercise (push). But if the goal is to gain velocity … just benching ain’t going to cut it. What are you doing for your lower body and core?

DB Bench is a good alternative too. It works a greater Range of Motion than Barbell.

Yeah thats what I would recomend you do, I like to use a swiss ball when I do them to also focus on stability.

to steve, lower body i just run, hop one on leg up and down the stairs, jumprope, calf raises. for upper body i do pullups, jumping pullups, and pushups. sometimes for my lowerback i do one minute planks, this of course in addition to throwing around five times a week, and one time at a 100% with a radar gun.

[quote=“vee”]to steve, lower body i just run, hop one on leg up and down the stairs, jumprope, calf raises. for upper body i do pullups, jumping pullups, and pushups. sometimes for my lowerback i do one minute planks, this of course in addition to throwing around five times a week, and one time at a 100% with a radar gun.[/quote]I recommend working in some dumbell rows and some lat pulldowns, and maybe even some barbell squatting for your legs.

Bench work is excellent for upper body development and when part of a balanced strength and conditioning program can keep you in top shape.

HOWEVER …

There are a host of other things that you want to compliment your bench work with (program) to include a nutrition plan, body-ready/body-cool down period, hot shower after workout, rest period, a reasonable sleep itinerary, and charting your progress with all of the above.

Weigh-in record daily, blood pressure recordings before and after workout, keep warm and covered, and hydrate (water) during your workouts.

Now here’s something that a lot of youngsters overlook when doing bench work - SPOTTER. If your doing a weight or routine that requires a lot of exertion on your part - get a spotter.

Coach B.