Weight lifting vs other methods

Hello everyone my high has got me doing things like cleans and other things like squats and stuff and i was wondering if its ok for me, a pitcher, to do. check out the workout at http://www.letstalkpitching.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4716

this will show you what i do in the class

Here are some additional exercises, descriptions and pics:
http://www.thecompletepitcher.com/pitching_exercises.htm

should i do this with my workout i plan on getting tuff cuff should i do tuff cuff workout after i do school workout? like when i get home i plan on doing tuffcuff but in school i do class workout. would that be too much?

If you’ve got a workout plan that works, by all means do it. What makes TUFFCUFF unique is that it lays out a daily workout plan, which is something most pitchers don’t have.

You have to be careful, too, about doing too much. So I’d stick with one or the other.

yes i understand but all this class is is weight lifting like cleans, squats, wrists rollers, abs, core, biceps, triceps and stuff like that im afraid i wont benefit from it it is a classic weight lifting class what do u think? I heard tuff cuff is really good and my friend RIstar told me i shouldnt be doing that weight lifting stuff.

Yes the cleans and stuff in my oppion are not helping you and there is no explosive med-ball in that clase so you are between a rock and a hard place.
Steven please check your Pm or Email that I sent you.

Oh god please don’t start the weightlifting debate again, we all know where RIstar stands in those regards…

My only suggestion wuld be if you are doing heavy leg workouts, make sure to stick to basic compound workouts, not the silly isolation machines that some pitchers workout on.

Proper Squats>Any other leg workout you can find
Weighted Lunges>Quad Machines
Stiff Leg Deadlifts>Hamstring Machines

Include explosive work as well, and eat plenty of food to gain

Where are the deadlifts? :frowning:

And RIStar, medball is just one part of program design. Mixing all three varieties (explosive, maximal, and speed) or strength is the best way to improve athletic performance. Steven has also mentioned here a couple times that back when he was playing he’d do heavy squats (405 I think) with Kyle Farnsworth. Both guys bring some serious heat to the party.

But, I digress. If you are lifting 5 days a week (that was the impression I got from your original post) then I would avoid doing heavy strength work every day. You’ll need to figure something out that will work for you. There are some different options available. DeFranco works on a modified conjugate style and his WS4SB program looks great.
Check it out: http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/articles.htm

Kc i’ve been doing hw some and was wondering about what exercises are good for maximal Strength.

My only little problem would be upper body maximal exercises I think just because it would stress the upper body muscles that need to not be pushed to a limit because you are working rotationall in baseball and that’s different forces {straight up and down vs left or right rotational}.

So what are some good maximal lower body exercises?

Deadlifts, squats, bulgarian split squats, glute ham raises, one leg squats (aka pistols), calf raises.

There are quite a few that I’m forgetting. Hopefully someone else can add a few.

How much weight should I use when doing a one legged squat or calf raise or One legged romanian Deadlift?

no its in school so sometimes 3 days a week then sometimes its 2 days a week never more or never less. We do squats but we dont do deadlifts and we do do lunges and abs and core do u think i can gain mph?

Pistols involve a great deal of balance, not to mention leg strength, so I’d stick with just bodyweight until you get comfortable with the movement. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEBol54EjVE

One you can bang out sets of 10 with bodyweight, then you can add some weight.

For calf raises, it can vary a lot. I’d start low (100 pounds or so) and see how it feels. When I was lifting regularly, I was doing sets with 250-260. If you use the calf raise machine, then you’ll likely be able to do more (the standup machine, not the seated one).

For the one legged RD, I’d start with 25 lb dumbbells in each hand and work from there.

no its in school so sometimes 3 days a week then sometimes its 2 days a week never more or never less. We do squats but we dont do deadlifts and we do do lunges and abs and core do u think i can gain mph kc?

You can definitely gain some mph through increases in strength, but like I said your program design will have a large impact on how successful you are. You can’t just focus on a single aspect of strength development. But since you are in the weight room 2-3 days a week, I would use those days to focus on max and explosive strength, then go 1-2 days with plyo/ speed strength.

plyo/speed strenght could you give me some recommendations on how to go about that? and is what im doing right now explosive?

Plyos would be mostly unweighted movements that require short bursts. Box jumps, broad jumps, clap pushups, Med ball, etc.

I wouldnt call your workout explosive. Aside from the cleans, there is really nothing explosive. (And just to clarify, explosive strength is defined as the ability to express significant muscular tension in minimal time.) Plyometrics are a specific variety of explosive strength, so adding plyos is a good place to start. I’d also look into dropping some of the machine exercises in favor of bodyweight or free weights. So instead of bicep curls, do chinups. Instead of tricep pulldowns, do diamond pushups. I might even drop the cleans in favor of high pulls since they are easier on the shoulder and give you nearly as much benefit.

I’d look into this book eventually, since Ross is much better at this than I am :wink: : http://www.rosstraining.com/infiniteintensity.html

ya we do med ball like we did russian twists today in class but ya i hope to be throwing mid 80’s by next summer

[quote=“RIstar”]Kc i’ve been doing hw some and was wondering about what exercises are good for maximal Strength.

My only little problem would be upper body maximal exercises I think just because it would stress the upper body muscles that need to not be pushed to a limit because you are working rotationall in baseball and that’s different forces {straight up and down vs left or right rotational}.

So what are some good maximal lower body exercises?[/quote]

Any variation of the squat or deadlift qualifies as a great maximal effort exercise. I don’t just say lower, because they will develop strength all over.

Back Squat
Front Squat
Box Squat

Straight Bar Deadlift
Trap Bar Deadlift
Rack Pulls
Romanian Deadlift

I think all the single leg exercises are AWESOME, but I see them as more of a supplemental exercise. I do my single leg work immediately after I do my Max Effort lift.

The most challenging an utterly brutal deadlift variation is without a doubt in my mind, snatch grip deadlift while on a platform.
Puts the body through a high range of motion, requires great grip strength, works the upper back like crazy.

When one says max effort, what you generally do is warmup sets of lighter weights until you build up to your maximum effort lift.

Until you have truly sweet spotted the exercises (can do the form perfectly every time, it’s absolutely natural) do max efforts of 4, 5, and 6 reps. More so at 5 and 6 reps.

Don’t worry about the weights your moving, beginners will add poundage quickly and well getting injured would be the worst thing possible

I tend to lay away from the majority of genuine upper body max effort lifts. I do pulling lifts (rows, pullups) as my max effort lift.
I avoid pushing exercises at maximum effort as those tend to be more stressful on the rotator cuff, something that is not necessary when one is actively throwing.

I glad you are starting to see the value of training the body in all aspects, you won’t regret it!

ya i knew weight lifting was good for somethin i always felt that plyo’s and tuff cuff were good but you hvev to be strong all around and weight lifting is one of the best ways to do it