WEIGHT GAIN

I am 18 years old 6’3 and weight about 170 lbs. i want to gain about 20 lbs for the season. What kinds of food should i eat to gain weight but i want it to be lean mass not fat.
please help

I’m no expert on dieting but I would say high calories and high protein and you will also have to lift weights. You have to take in more than you burn in daily exercises so I would get on a 5,000 to 6,000 calorie diet depending on how active you are. Lifting will turn the protein into lean muscle mass.

Here is two important excerpts from the link I pulled. You willl want to read it all. It is very benificial information.

“In the first installment of “How to Gain Lean Bodyweight” we discussed how to determine the optimal number of calories to consume in order to gain fat-free bodyweight. While knowing your ideal calorie requirement is important, there are other factors that must also be accounted for. All calories are not utilized in the same fashion by the body. 3200 calories of ice cream, pizza, doughnuts, potato chips and soda obviously won’t have the same effect as 3200 calories from egg whites, lean meats, fruits, rice, potatoes, vegetables, fruits and whole grains. While calories are the chief element in the muscle-gaining formula, meal ratios, meal frequency and food choices also must be factored into the equation.”

“One-third of your total daily calories or approximately 30% should come from protein. Forget about the “Recommended Daily Allowances” (RDA’s) of 12-15% of daily calories from protein. The RDA’s do not account for increased requirements for intense training and muscular weight gain. The RDA’s are merely a minimal standard for maintaining health, not for achieving optimal performance, strength and growth. A 15% protein diet may be adequate for a couch potato, but it is completely inadequate for someone who is training hard and wants to pack on the pounds.”

http://www.leehayward.com/gain_bodyweight_2.htm

5,000- 6,000 calories a day is an insane amount of food to eat. It is also probably overkill for 95% of the population. Most people burn 3500 calories or less during the course of the day. If you eat 500 calories more than you burn each day, you will gain a pound a week. Anything more than that and you have to worry about putting on too much fat and not enough muscle. Not to mention the sheer amounts bad stuff you’d have to eat to get high protein % when eating 5,000 calories (saturated fat, cholesterol).

Start keeping tabs on what you eat each day (just a ballpark, dont weigh and measure each meal). Start at 3500 calories a day and work up each week that you dont gain weight. Make sure you intake carbs right after workouts.

I went from 200 to about 245 in the course of one year (football) by following a PB&J sandwich heavy diet that was promoted by our coach. If you want an extremely simple and no frills method to weight gain, try eating 4-6 PB&J’s a day. No joke :slight_smile:

Like I said I am not and expert…which is why I added the link…lol…good to have a better opinion on this…

Yep, the link is written by a well respected bodybuilder. It’s very helpful if you want to be the next Mr. Olympia, but high level athletes are more function and less looks. The protein thing is a trap that many people, myself included fall into. I’m not sure if you have ever tried to eat a 50% protein diet, but it is absolutely no fun at all. I get very tired (only 20% carbs), my performance dropped like a rock, and eating was a chore. That only lasted a week til I had to change.

I think something like 50% carbs, 25% protein, 25% fat (or 30p, 20f) would be more optimal for an athlete to gain weight on. That way you can continue to stay active with sports. Everyone has an opinion on this, and many swear by their own percentages, but this is something that I have found through trial and error. See what works for you and your body and go from there.

Thanks a lot for all your help
would taking whey protein help me at all
also is it normal when i started to lift at the start of the off season that i lost almost ten pounds

Whey could help. I’d look to build a solid diet first, then add whey as a post workout shake.

The weight loss thing is a bit odd. Most people see a body composition change (less fat, more muscle), but changes in weight can happen. Some people pack on pounds, some lose weight. You need to remember that more muscle equals more calories burned. You just need to eat more to make up for the increased calorie burn rate.

Depending on your build, some people also lose weight by burning fat before gaining muscle. It is all relevant. Stay like “kc86” said on a solid diet, it is more important.