Weight and velocity

About a month and a half ago I was a very light 141 despite being 6’1. Now I’m up to 150 and my velocity has gone from 73-75, to 78-80. This has mostly been leg and core muscle and lean arm muscle, I’d like to get up to 175 when I graduate, will this impact velocity? I’m a junior right now.

Does 9 lbs in 6 weeks = 5 mph? Who knows. But, I doubt the equation is that easy. My guess (and it is just a guess, alot more qualified people on here than I) is that while the weight gain probably helped somewhat the bump in velo probably had more to do with throwing more as tryouts and baseball season was approaching. You say you started working out alot more, that probably plays a big role too. 175 in a year is doable if you work out hard, smart and eat right…and eat alot. Getting bigger and much stronger can only help as long as you stay loose and flexable. Make sure to make foam rolling, mobility exercises and stretching a part of your workout.

Yea, I was thinking about it and I realize that the relationship probably isn’t linear (there’s enough math for today) but i think that there might me at least some correlation. And on flexibility yes, I do running, stretching, and a lot of band work.

There’s some correlation, but like you said theres not enough to be linear.

There’s no magic bullet for velocity.

All Coaches and scouts will tell you to get bigger and stronger, because that helps in gaining velocity.

But throwing, mechanics and physical attributes and ultimately genetics are all the factors that go into velocity.