Weekend Warrior's Potential?

Hey everyone, I’ve always enjoyed reading posts on this website and find you guys to be extremely well versed in sharing your knowledge effectively.

I’m not exactly an athletically talented guy, but my friend seems pretty set in trying to make baseball his career at age 24. That being said I’ve been trying to help him practice any way i could. Catching for him, trying to hit is pitches, fielding, batting practice, etc. I’ve always loved pitching even though I’m not that into baseball as a whole lol. Now that I’ve been playing baseball much more, he’s been helping me learn some basics of pitching.

Above being said, what kind of potential do you expect from pitchers at a recreational level? I’m not saying my goal is to be average, but my friend say’s I might only be throwing 40-50 mph even after warm ups (with almost zero command lol).

What are your opinions on a non-experienced or recreational players potential in a non coached environment? How far do people like me usually make it? Though I doubt that many of you guys pay attention to regional adult teams.

I just would get a general description of what I’m expected to accomplish or a base skill level I should reach for.

I don’t really like how I’ve written this post, but I’ll leave it up for the moment while I study for my CA Life Agent Exam haha.

It all depends on ho much you practice. If you can find fair mechanics and bullpen twice a week you should do well.

Above being said, what kind of potential do you expect from pitchers at a recreational level? I’m not saying my goal is to be average, but my friend say’s I might only be throwing 40-50 mph even after warm ups (with almost zero command lol).

Your potential is pretty much dictated by your comments in the paragraph that followed:
"… a non-experienced or recreational player…"

That pretty much sums it up. You enjoy recreation for the sake of having a good time, and you’re learning about the game at the same time…with pitching being the gateway of that education. Now regardless of how hard you’re throwing or your level of command, you seem to be out there, again, having a good time. From what I can gather from your wording here - how you composed your expressions regardless how well you like your composition, I think you did a good job expressing yourself.

What are your opinions on a non-experienced or recreational players potential in a non coached environment? How far do people like me usually make it? Though I doubt that many of you guys pay attention to regional adult teams.

My opinion on a non-experienced or recreational player’s potential is really a question with it’s own answer … you’re a recreational player with the potential to develop friendships, socialize and enjoy the game for what it can provide you with. Remember, you wanted to help your friend - your experiences are now showing signs of a new perspective on things. Pitch for the sake of using this opportunity to develop of new side of you that heretofore never showed itself (or so I interpreted from your comments.)

With respect to adult regional teams and yourself - you can have an opportunity or opportunities to the extent that your teammates will allow. Adult regional amateur baseball can be fairly intense and competitive. From what I’ve seen, these guys don’t like to show up knowing they’re going to be on the short end of the stick because some guy wants to pitch - but can’t. So, depending on all that - …"" doesn’t put you in the driver’s seat, it puts someone else in this sport, especially pitchers.

Enjoy the game for what it is … a game, and games are suppose to be fun.

Post some video of yourself and a team photo.

Thanks Coach. I appreciate the sentiments. I’ve been actively working on getting my potential up. Basic conditioning on days where I don’t work 2 jobs and my off time relaxing or watching you tube videos of instructions on throwing with a healthy arm swing. I have a weak rotator cuff, so I try to make sure I don’t throw out my arm with a single pitch lol.

My first goal is to find easy power and ways to get command with at least a fastball or 3. My second goal as a weekend warrior is actually to cruise at 65~ and throw a multitude of pitches. Working my way up to mid seventies would be ideal, but I need to get healthy first.

I am having a good amount of fun right now, my friend just got scouted by a "D1 Level’ travel league, the Seals, i believe… He’ll be in town for the winter, so I’ll be getting tips from him while I can. Being new to the game, my baseball IQ is horrible. Not quite tracking down all my pop fiies, taking too long to throw to first, proper base coverage, etc. The games I do pitch are friendly and fun. They say my 2 seamer has good movement when I throw it properly!

I’m currently trying to fix my curveball mechanics. I tend to lead with my elbow when I want a really good break. I know how unhealthy that is for my arm so I’m trying to get a nice sharp break from just lower body.

I might start a baseball journal on these forums since I have goals set for myself. I just need to find the time lol.

You’re willing to do all that you mentioned and yet you’re working 2 jobs!

Man, that is dedication.

I tell you what… a willingness like yours is not something to slight or to just let pass. Recreational baseball is one of the greatest ways to stay in touch with guys you know and get along with, in addition to keeping yourself in shape - just be careful of your tolerances and what’s reasonable.

At the top of this web site is a “TOPICS” bar, and along that topics bar is a topic called ARTICLES. Click on that ARTICLES topic and your screen with be directed to a ton of information sections - all free of charge and ready anytime you are to help you.

http://s216.photobucket.com/user/CoachBaker/media/letstalkpitching_zps54aef13d.jpg.html][img]http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc90/CoachBaker/letstalkpitching_zps54aef13d.jpg[/img

If you have questions relative to any of those sub-topics or just want to discuss your progress and suggestions, come back anytime, night or day, and someone here will help you - it may take a little time to get back to you the same day of your posting, but your questions will be answered.

Also, never feel that a question shouldn’t be asked. You’ll find players and coaches of all types wanting to help others enjoy this sport.