Weak

im a very weak kid… like i can just BARELY get by curling 30 pounds :expressionless:

i no that has nothing to do with pitching but thats just to give u an idea

yet i still throw 68-75 MPH with all these mechanical problems [collapsing leg mainly]

if i were to get stronger would this make me throw harder?

[i have a bet with coach] :slight_smile:

Nope it wouldn’t help you throw harder and maybe make you slower then you are now because it will be harder to work on speed of the muscles. Focus on being stable and flexible that’s it ok.

Nope it wouldn’t make you throw harder but i can positively and without any doubt say that it will make you better at trigonometry and also give you x-ray vision.

Yes, getting stronger would bring a rise in velocity if all else is equal. Dont mind RIStar’s retarded rhetoric, he knows absolutely nothing about the subject of strength and how it applies to pitching. “Speed of the muscles”? Good Lord, do you even read what you type? US Olympic Gold Medalist sprinter Micheal Johnson could squat 600 pounds. Are you going to tell me that sprinters dont know how to train for speed? Get out of here with that nonsense.

Sorry Pheen. First off, how old are you, height, weight, etc.? Let me know what facilities and equipment you have access to and I will try to help you out.

Kc yes strength to a point but that will not help you throw harder it’s about mechanics. As a pitcher if the mechanics aren’t there or even if they are weight training will not increase the velocity. Look at the post that said a pitcher lost velocity by weight training.

There is to much weight training in a sport that doesn’t need that much just needs to be able to stabilize the body with good mechanics.

15, 5’8, 130 pounds

just a room and dumbells pretty much

different weights but im only working with 5 pounds per dumbell so i dont bulk up

There is no way to get real strength gains if you only use 5 pound DB’s. As far as “bulking up,” there is about a 10% gain in muscle mass for every 30% gained in strength. That being said, you wont end up looking like a bodybuilder unless you start training like a bodybuilder. Look at any boxer, kickboxer, or MMA fighter. Those guys are insanely strong without being bulky (in fact, it would be counterproductive for them to put on weight because of weight divisions).

If you are really serious about getting stronger, then I would buy Infinite Intensity by Ross Enamait (focuses on dumbbells, as well as a few other things). One of the cool things about buying from Ross is that he will answer any questions you have about his books and how to apply them to a particular sport.

[quote=“RIstar”]Kc yes strength to a point but that will not help you throw harder it’s about mechanics. As a pitcher if the mechanics aren’t there or even if they are weight training will not increase the velocity. Look at the post that said a pitcher lost velocity by weight training.

There is to much weight training in a sport that doesn’t need that much just needs to be able to stabilize the body with good mechanics.[/quote]
Nope, wrong again. If you take two pitchers with the exact same mechanics. Exactly the same. Same size, weight etc. The stronger one will throw harder. This is true with basically anything - sprinting, jumping, etc.

Now, mechanics are certainly important, but without strength it makes no difference. You can have the best mechanics in the world, but if you are a 95 pound weakling you will never throw 90+. There are plenty of strong guys with crappy mechanics that can throw in the 90’s though. My stance would be to work on both, they do not interfere with one another. I can strength train three times a week and still have plenty of time to do skill work in a sport. In fact, every pro athlete is doing this.

P.S. Show me this post with a person losing velocity from strength training.

i used the exact same idea to explain the same thing in another post a while ago :smiley:

Yes if one has a strong base and the other doesn’t one will throw harder. But to weight lift for more then just a strong base which you do if you weight lift alot in the offseason and any inseason weight lifting then you will decrease performance.

Strong base thats all you need. After that work on baseball skills that you are going to need to be able to use in a game.

[quote=“RIstar”]Yes if one has a strong base and the other doesn’t one will throw harder. But to weight lift for more then just a strong base which you do if you weight lift alot in the offseason and any inseason weight lifting then you will decrease performance.

Strong base thats all you need. After that work on baseball skills that you are going to need to be able to use in a game.[/quote]

Do you honestly think anyone can throw 90 by just having a foundation and pitching a lot?

How about the extremely skinny kid, or the kid that’s still got to much fat on him to be an athlete?

When I mean a strong base I mean someone that he pretty good strength in them and has had a good amount of training. After so much training you can’t get better you have to work on other things

This is getting ridiculous. :roll:

I would write an argument, but I feel it would fall on deaf ears (and everyone else has heard enough of my rants against RIStar’s lack of logic).

Oh yeah, and Pheen I’ll work on a basic dumbbell circuit over the next couple of days and get it posted here so you can get started with something. I would definitely recommend using heavier DB’s for some of the exercises, but you should base it off of how much effort it takes to complete the exercise.

Kc, go to my web site and go to the workout section ok then see my point of view ok. Im not saying no weight lifting just till you get strong and stable.

www.pitching101.50megs.com

[quote=“RIstar”]Kc, go to my web site and go to the workout section ok then see my point of view ok. Im not saying no weight lifting just till you get strong and stable.

www.pitching101.50megs.com[/quote]
I’ve seen your opinions many, many times. You state them every time someone asks about strength training. Repetition does not make something correct.

The problem here is that you have no facts to back yourself up. Plyometrics should probably only be done 1-2 times a week, and I would hesitate about basing my program on plyo’s and medball work simply because of the heavy strain you are putting on the body. Not to mention the fact that the gains on such a program will not be very good. Maximal strength is not addressed, neither is speed strength or strength endurance. The balance exercises you list are fine, but they wont help strength or velocity. So, you are basically giving people a routine that might help them balance better when they stride to the plate. Nothing more. If you tell people as much, then I would have no problem with your posts. “RIStar’s Guide to balance and flexibility.” Go for it. But when you tell people that medball and plyos are the only things they need to do, then you are lying to them. And I have a problem with that.

A strength program should encompass max strength, explosive strength, speed strength, and strength endurance.

Ahh stop with the arguing how many times are we gonna have this same argument. Just stop seriously no more about this we’ve already had topics about it. Each express what you opinions are on pitching stenth to Pheen not to each other. I’m sure he’s mature enough to decide what he wants to do on his own as long as you give him a basis to work off of.

That’s not my conditioning all the way. It’s just some little things I picked out ok. I have a 12 week program and wouldn’t want to write that out lol. and the heaviest weight I ever pick up is 10 lbs. But It is still hard and challenging because the way it’s set up ok.