Ways to shorten up arm action

if you were to increase your stride length wouldnt that, in most cases, short up you arm ation. Figure if you increase your stride, in doing that your going further and faster to the plate, and wouldnt your arm be forced to shorten up a little bit to complement your bodies actions. If not, the ball will always sail high.

I could be wrong. Just my thoughts

not necessarily. You could correct you’re timing to match the new stride too. Instead of shortening your arm action you could just speed your regular one up. Or, you could break the hands earlier as well. I wouldn’t change your arm action, doing one of the above, is much more simpler.

I was a natural sidearmer from the get-go, and I always threw with the long-arm action. My pitching coach, who had learned both the long-arm and the short-arm motions when he had been with the White Sox and had come to the Yankees in 1948, showed me how to adapt the short-arm to my sidearm delivery—he told me to simply pull my arm in closer to my body as I dellivered the pitch. Of course when you do this the pitches will be higher, and that can be useful when you want to “climb the stairs” against a good low-ball hitter and get him to chase after a high pitch. In both instances you have to be sure to complete your follow-through! This gave me twice as many pitches as I already had. :slight_smile:

This doesn’t make any sense. Your delivery is based off of timing.

[quote=“chew1109”]if you were to increase your stride length wouldnt that, in most cases, short up you arm ation. Figure if you increase your stride, in doing that your going further and faster to the plate, and wouldnt your arm be forced to shorten up a little bit to complement your bodies actions. If not, the ball will always sail high.

I could be wrong. Just my thoughts[/quote]
There are a number of variables to consider and it all depends on what you’ve done to increase your stride length. You are on the right track that the timing of your arm action needs to fit in with the overall timing of your delivery. You are also on the right track that your stride length is a result of other elements of your delivery. But lengthening your stride doesn’t automatically mean you’re moving faster. It could be that you’ve simply made a mechanical correction to improve a timing problem and now you’re staying closed longer. That will let you lengthen your stride without moving faster.

Are you trying to consciously change your arm action? If so, why?

I used to but not anymore. I recently just increased my stride length and have found that my natural arm motion is very good and “along for the ride”. When i didn’t maximize my stride length i was conscious about my arm motion and it didn’t feel at all natural. What i said in my previous post deffinatly applies to me.