Way Over Due

After 21 years of watching and looking at prospective prospects, more than I can remember, I’ve been witness to the greatest population of belligerent, small minded adults, trying to fill the ranks of Amateur Coach.

Finally, and I do mean finally, there’s a program that’s going to air on the SPIKE TV network that gets to the very heart of why these men and women act the way they do.

If you coach, a family member that has a youngster involved in sports - watch this.

IT’S ABOUT TIME… WAY OVER DUE.

I would suggest that prospective youth coaches should study the ways of UCLA basketball coaching great John Wooden.

Roger…
I agree in regards to Wooden. A classy guy with a timeless approach.
As for the TV show I don’t know which is worse or is more an indication of the continuing spiral that is American society, the show itself, the idiots to agree to have their insane behavior documented (although I am sure it is all played up for the camera) or the fact that Ray Lewis is hosting it.

All of the above. It also could be that the participant coaches think they’re being taped for some other purpose only to have the editors back in the studio pull out the stuff that’ll make people watch.

I saw the program and the participants for what is was = hype. I saw a gathering of programing that’s of little value with the messengers- but not the message.

I’m sure somewhere, some youngster is going to point to one or more of the programs “scripts” and say, “hey, that’s like coach so-n-so, I don’t like playing for him.” And there in is the potential for the message, not the messengers.

As far as John Wooden is concerned, if there was a program that sponsored John Wooden philosophy(s), there would have been one by now, but there isn’t. So, run with what’s out there, and this happens to be it.

In the final analysis, I saw past the critics’ of the hype and the overall staging of characters. I saw past the messengers - but I didn’t pass by on the message. In that regard, it’s a good message that, hopefully, will get at least someone to ask the right questions at the right time.

Steven…
It could be. I have a little experience with this as I have a relative that works in tv/movies and I know a couple of producers. In a show that is a “reality” show people do sign away their rights as to how they are going to be presented. One example is a show that one of the people I know was editing. The director told him to cut stuff so it looked like a certain character was overly emotional (creating a good character and a bad character etc.) The crew would film for basically 24 hours straight for a couple of weeks at a time, create a situation (going to a theme park or a weekend trip) to create potential tension, then edit it into a half an hour show. Sometimes they would put sound of one thing (in the this example it was this person crying) over film of something else. So, to make this person look emotional they would show film of her going into a room and closing the door then overlay the sound of her crying. She actually cried once in the six months they followed her, they used the sound of her crying nearly every episode. Foolishness. As one of the producers told me, “We are now in the post talent era.”

Coach Baker…

You are correct in that some good may come from this display. Hopefully it will. It is just hard for me to imagine the mindset that behaves like these guys, then thinks it is just dandy to have it on public display, usually for no or little pay from the show.
As I mentioned briefly in another thread I assisted for a short period of time with a football team at the high school by my house. I was asked to not come back after refusing to put a kid back in a game that had some symptoms of concussion after take a head to head hit. I had the kid take his shoulder pads and helmet off and held his helmet.
Ironically, the kid was fine with it as he was not feeling good and his parents thanked me after the game.
It is just insanity sometimes.