Warmups

What is the current philosophy on practice and pre-game warmups? Specifically the throwing parts. My son’s 12u team has switched to a regimented set of throwing drills as their throwing warm up. I am not a fan. And I can see the kids don’t get as loose and ready to throw hard from this than from just throwing and progressively moving back. I think this is over thinking it, but I was curious if more teams have moved toward this.

I always had my players do a complete dynamic warm-up before they even touched a ball.

“Warm up to throw, don’t throw to warm up.”

[quote=“Roger”]I always had my players do a complete dynamic warm-up before they even touched a ball.

Totally agree about the dynamic warm up and the idea of warming up the whole body before throwing. I should have been more specific, my concern/question is once the kids start throwing, are they throwing or doing different throwing drills that break down different parts of the throwing motion instead of just throwing and progressively moving away from each other and increasing their throwing effort?

Got it. I would agree with you that before a game I would prefer players to throw as they will in the game - not do throwing drills. Drills are for practice, IMHO.

I’m with you there, Roger. Never mind the drills—they serve no useful purpose and could even take away from the necessary momentum, etc. When I would warm up before a game, a few stretches, then into the bullpen and start throwing, easy at first as if in a game of catch, then harder and use all my pitches to see how they were doing. Fifteen minutes and I was ready to take the mound. That did it all the time. :baseballpitcher: