If you’ve got the drive and the desire to be in the coaching ranks, perhaps you’d better brush up on a few other skills that might come in handy. Just a thought.
A friend of mine read a posting that I made on another topic, and suggested that I might want to list my other jobs while coaching. Now this is not at the Major’s level or at their farm clubs - so here it goes:
- equipment manager
- ticket taker and ticket counter
- cashier and night bank deposit runner
- accounts payable clerk
- payroll clerk
- purchasing agent
- advance travel and accommodations planner
- light bulb changer, plumber, laundry
- bug and rodent exterminator
- semi security guard
- keeper of the keys, combination locks, automatic garage door openers
- hash slinger, grill, dishwasher
- cotton candy operator ( nearly got my arm ripped off on that one)
- announcer and scoreboard operator ( those number are heavy!!)
- bus driver/truck driver (CDL)
- detective (self appointed)
- GED tutor
- character witness - bail bonds rep
- mother-confessor, good listener
- father figure, just someone to talk to.
And somehow, I managed to get in a pitching coach/bullpen coach.