Walk-On Tryouts

I’m in my Freshmen year of college, and tried to walk on this year at UBC in Vancouver, BC. Unfortunately I didn’t make it, so I wanted to keep this log to keep track of my progress for next year’s tryouts. I’m originally from Oregon, and I’m up in BC until the end of April at which point I will go home and play on an 19U team during the summer. So this winter and fall are purposed towards gaining velocity as that is the main reason I didn’t make the team. My control is good with all my pitches, except for those off days. Over the past two years I’ve tried focusing on lowering my BF% which I realize now was probably only hurting my gains. So now my goal is to gain strength specific towards pitching, primarily using the Tuff Cuff workout.

Velocity(9/6/2011): 78-79
Height: 6’ 2”
Weight: 210lbs
Pitching Arsenal: 4-seam fastball (w/ 2-seam tail), curveball, changeup, and cutter

Goals:
• Increase velocity to 85-86
• Develop a stronger lower body
• Increase overall strength
• Improve conditioning

How will I achieve these goals:
• Following the workouts in Tuff Cuff
• Eating healthy but eating 3,500 calories and increase with weight gain
• Follow the 90-day throwing program in Tuff Cuff with changing bits in pieces to incorporate the Jaeger Long Toss program and weighted ball program from Tuff Cuff.

I threw for the first time in a month. Went out to 90 ft, nice and easy with a little arc. The arm felt good, but I tried not to push it to soon before I was ready. I stretched using Eric Cressey post-throwing stretching routine and noticed my shoulder was very sore from the over the head warrior stretch. But it feels fine now, but we will see when I throw tomorrow.

Yesterday I threw the first day of the weighted ball program from the Tuff Cuff workout manual. My arm felt good, but it is a little tired today. I also lifted Workout #1 Phase 1 Week 6. The lifts felt a lot easier this time around, I will increase every lift, except for lunges as those still are more difficult to increase. The conditioning also went well, once again a lot easier compared to last week. I haven’t been as healthy as I want to the past few days, but not too bad. When I weighed in at the beginning of the program I weighed 210 and I’m now 216 which I’m sure isn’t all muscle but I’m not going to focus on eating less just making sure what going into my body isn’t bad for it.

I did upper body the other day, and while it went well I didn’t see as much of an improvement as my legs but I’m okay with that because my legs need the most catching up. I will probably keep the lifts the same for upper body for next week. Also I threw yesterday, just out to 90ft for 5min, the arm felt good still, I didn’t throw all my balls with an arc like the Tuff Cuff manual says so I should try and do that rather then rushing my arm before its ready. I’m throwing the weighted ball program today, and then a rotator cuff and ab workout later.

Sorry to hear you didn’t make the walk on tryouts. Hope you continue working hard to make it.

Thank you LTadrian for the support.

I threw weighted balls yesterday and then threw light toss to 90ft today. I also did the Week 6 optional workout today. I’m going to start long tossing this week and I’m also going to start taking creatine before workouts, after 6 weeks of following my workout plan. Watched the World Series Game 4 today and a game it was. Great performance by Derek Holland.

This week I started long toss, I went out to about 150ft nice arc throws and then came back in with the pull down phase. I also lifted legs yesterday which went well. I did however postpone the creatine because I feel like my diet can still be improved. I’ve also been just researching for fun some more stuff about the Jeager long toss program, as well as, Trevor Bauer. I find it funny how there are so many way to approach the same goal. Bauer with the limited weight room work put explosive short exercises to match pitching time. And then the majority lifting weights. It makes you wonder if there is one set training for everyone or is it really just a guessing game to find out what works for you, and so far through my own experience I think it’s the latter. Making mastering pitching to the point of collegiate, semi-pro, and pro just that much harder.

Today I did upper body primarily, along with running and abs. I also did the weighted ball session. One problem I have noticed when throwing lately is I’ve been shortening my arm circle. This might be because my lower body is out of sync with my upper body or some other cause. I did manage to focus on it during the weighted ball throws though and got it to where I want it to be after sailing a few of the 6 oz throws. In regards to my workout, I have yet to really make gains on the upper body portion, but I guess that’s okay when my dumbbell press is 90 lbs/single arm row as well, and my squats are 105 lbs. But I’m still make progress with the legs, which is they main goal. I weighed in at 216 today this is from 210 when I first got to college, chances are more of it is freshmen 15 rather then muscle but hopefully not too much. My diet the past couple of days have gone really well so hopefully that keeps more muscle growth rather then fat.

So yesterday as I was preparing to throw long toss in the rain, I noticed one of the UBC coaches in the cage. So I went up to make sure that the field was available for use. Turns out it was the pitching coach/ assistant coach. After greetings he commented on how I looked stronger and then went on to tell me that I should send him an email in two weeks so I can maybe come out and get some throwing in with the pitchers. So after this, what I consider really cool news, I threw my long toss and backed it up to what I thought was 210 but it might have been 180 and then one hopped it from 240 or 210, either way its an improvement from last time and everyday of getting my arm back in shape the ball comes out of my hand with more and more ease.

So yesterday as I was preparing to throw long toss in the rain, I noticed one of the UBC coaches in the cage. So I went up to make sure that the field was available for use. Turns out it was the pitching coach/ assistant coach. After greetings he commented on how I looked stronger and then went on to tell me that I should send him an email in two weeks so I can maybe come out and get some throwing in with the pitchers. So after this, what I consider really cool news, I threw my long toss and backed it up to what I thought was 210 but it might have been 180 and then one hopped it from 240 or 210, either way its an improvement from last time and everyday of getting my arm back in shape the ball comes out of my hand with more and more ease.

Well it’s been a week since I last posted, I got out to just under 270’ in long toss but that was my max for the entire week and I never got back to it. Lifting was good throughout the week, I’m going to try and increase all my weights for my lifts going into Phase 2 of the Tuff Cuff program. My nutrition always seems to be the week point. I really need to focus on this week of trying to eat clean so that I avoid the unwanted fat caused by fried foods and sugary sweets but it’s a lot harder to do while in college with the meal plans. I’m going to try and update this log more this week and keep track of the nutrition, lifting, and long toss.

So yesterday I lifted legs and tried to add wait in all my lifts. I squatted 125 for the designated reps and sets from Tuff Cuff week 1 of Phase 2. I was able to add wait to all my lifts. I then threw long toss today and reached an all time high of 267’. All in all a good week so far and hopefully it will keep going that way.

So it’s been awhile since my last post, mostly because I’ve been really wrapped up with school work. I have one week left and then finals begin. I took this past week off from lifting just because I was getting to get burned out but I start up again tomorrow on upper body on week 2 phase 2 in tuff cuff. My long toss has kind of peaked at 260’-270’ but I feel my arm getting stronger at 60’ so that’s good. I feel like I’m on track still so I’ll I can do is keep up the hard work and hopefully things will continue to fall into place.

I’ve been pretty busy with the end of the term and final exams. Half of my classes are fine but the other half have been a struggle for me. I head back home for two weeks Saturday, looking forward to that. I haven’t thrown during finals because its to hectic to get together with someone and throw. I’m going to try at least 3 times a week while back home. I’m continuing to build strength in all my lifts. I started taking creatine this past week and can defiantly tell the difference, a lot more endurance with lifts. I’m hoping to get my squat up to 300lbs before summer from about 215 right now. I took this past week of from lifting because I really felt the need to just focus on studying. I’m going to try to continue to update more with the end of finals. Happy Holidays to everyone!

I’ve been home for about a week I’ve only thrown long toss once while here. I have been working out and been to yoga twice this week. My weight lifting is coming along nicely and I’ve noticed yoga is helping my hips open up, the goal is to continue yoga when I return to school. I’m hoping to throw tomorrow or today. Hope everyone is having a good break.

Bad weekend. I threw long toss reached a personal best of about 280’ and figured I had more in the tank so I took it out ten more yards and as I came over my front leg I felt my kneecap dislocate. I’ve had kneecap dislocations before on my other leg and one or two on my right but as of now I’m just resting it waiting for the swelling to go down so no training for some time…

Are you planning on trying to walk on to UBC this upcoming fall again?

Just out of curiosity what made you decide to go to UBC?

Good luck I’ll be following your posts.

Yeah, I’ve been in contact with Coach Corness about next year. I decided on UBC due to its academics mainly. My college choices came down to Oregon State for school only, Clark College (a community college in Vancouver, WA) where I could I have played, and Ubc (try to walk-on) I’d been in contact with the coaches here for the past couple of years. Also I really liked how much focus was put on the pitchers, I really felt it gave me the best chance at reaching my potential.

UBC is great academically I looked at them for school and baseball when I was going through the recruiting process you really can’t go wrong there.

You’ve got a long road ahead of you I hope it works out for you its going to be hard walking on to UBC if I’m not mistaken they are ranked 12 nationally on the preseason poll. Its good that you’ve been in contact with the coaches.

Where do you plan to play your summer ball?

I’m planning on playing summer ball back in the states as I’m originally from Oregon. I’ve talked to my pitching coach back home on getting on a team and he told me he would put me on his 19u team. That way I can go home, hopefully work in the morning, play baseball in the afternoon and night.