Videos Of Me Pitching! (Please Look)

Here are some videos I took of me pitching yesterday (Sunday). I was pitching from 60’ 6". I threw 3 fastballs and a 12-6 curveball. The ball I was using was very old and very very slick. So my curveball doesn’t break nearly as much as it usually does plus the grass was very slick (throwing in tennis shoes). Also the video of me on the side view for some reason youtube doesn’t show the whole thing (anyone know how to fix this please post). Oh well I hope you guys like the videos and any tips or comments you have would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qn0yFT1HEAA Fastball (Side View) ending is messed up…
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB9h3g1hCpA Fastball (Batters View)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL80D7hWMRM Fastball 2 (Batters View Low & Inside)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOZAvm45fZ0 Curveball 12-6 (I really wish I had a good newer ball that was in good shape to throw that with the ball was so old and slick and this is my best pitch probably and I usually get a huge break on it but oh well)

Tell me what you think… Hope you guys enjoy…

I plan to get a newer ball this week and post some more videos that hopefully will be better this weekend if weather permits.

I will definantly get a better ball and video for the curve, these were my first videos though. I will put more effort into it next time.

btw I think the fastball 2 is the best for judging my fastball…

Judging from your fastball you look to throw about low 70’s. On a mound you may be able to pick up +2-3mph. So you could hit probably 75-78mph on a mound with cleats. Fastball looks nice and straight for a 4-seamer. As for the 12-6 it looks good. A nice solid break. Looks low 60’s-high 50’s. That’s good for a highschool curveball. I would like to see more pitches from you in the future. I love to watch others pitch. Every pitcher is unique. No two pitchers can throw the same pitch.

Nice job. WhiteSox101 :wink:

the first one is really messed up. the second and last one are looking better. here’s a trick for you that you can or can’t take in consideration wether you care or not. your pitching arm should always be hidden behind your body. i know a lot of people don’t do that but that can help your fastball to explod out of your hand. that won’t add you any mph but just is a psychologic thing. again, it can or can’t work for you. the big deal about it is that the batter cannot follow your arm. just think hitting balls from a pitching machine when you don’t know when the ball’s gonna pop out of it.

Generally, i like 2 pitches pitchers. not that i hate pitchers that can throw 4-5 different pitches but i like when you can concentrate on control with 2 pitches and work sometimes on a third one just for some surprise effect. I don’t know how effective your curveball is, for me, it looks like a groundball producer more then a strike out pitch (could be wrong). your motion, good or bad, helps to hide the curveball a little bit. i think it’s the fact that you throw your fastball from a really high slot. you can’t throw a lot of pitches effectively from that slot but a real spike curve would give you some sweeping movement to compliment your actual curveball. there’s a couple other pitches you could throw like a diving change-up since the high arm slots are giving natural heaviness to the ball.

well thanks for the reply 4 pie, I get a lot of strikeouts with it. I couldn’t get it to do right i had a very slick ball and it was old, I should have put more effort into the videos (maybe wear cleats and some better shoes than the tennis shoes I had on)

Whitesox101 looked at my 1st video (youtube seemed to cut the ending off the side view) I sent him the whole video and he calculated it to 76mph here is what he wrote in the email.

“I checked it out and it turns out you were throwing 76mph. Off of a mound with 100% effort I think you could hit 80-81mph mabey more. No problem. Any more you wish to send let me know. Later :)”

btw thanks whitesox101, I really appreciate you taking your time to get an estimate of pitch speed. Please feel free to post more opinions…

I would be very suspicious of these kinds of calculations of pitch speed. Very suspicious.

well he was just trying to do an estimate… He was just helping me to get an idea… I 've never been clocked but I pitch for my varsity team and I usually strike out a lot of hitters (not saying speed strikes everyone out) what do you think of the videos though?

How suspicious? I use a video program that shows time in mili-seconds. Ex. 4.2sec, 5.67sec, 1.281sec. All I do is play the video using the program go frame by frame untill release of the ball, note the time of release, then frame by frame untill impact on the pitching net, subtract the time from release to impact, put the time into this website:

http://www.csgnetwork.com/baseballpitchspdcalc.html

And it will effectively tell speed, since using a stopwatch is so unconventional and inaccurate. If you put it into a video and watch carefully you can see exactly when the ball was released and caught or impacted on if using a net.

I used this on my pitch that I recorded with my friends dads radar gun and it was right within 1mph. The 2-seam/“slurve” video I did a week ago was clocked at 80mph by radar gun. I used this method on the computer by watching release and impact in slow-mo noting time and subtracting and entering in the website above and I came up with a time of .51sec for my 2-seamer. My “slurve” was clocked at 74. I noted the time at .55 using the method above. Trust it on not. I find this method very effective when calculating speed, providing you have a good angle to see release and impact.

This is one way to be “sneaky fast”.

It’s hard for me to comment, since the camera is so far away from you. I’d be able to say more if you moved the camera closer.

"Hey
I looked at those videos this morning. First off, the videos are much too far away to see detail. Secondly, Youtube doesn’t allow us to step through the clips one frame at a time. Both of these are critical to any of us being able to give you advice.

You really would be doing yourself a favor if you were to get video from a closer vantage point and also make them in mov, avi, mpg or mpeg formats. The beauty of these formats is that Quicktime reads them and allows us to step, frame by frame. If you get video in one of those formats, send them to me at: dm-59@hotmail.com

Now, having said all of that, what I think I see out of what you posted is:

1. The front foot should point downward at knee lift. This sounds like a trivial thing but it sets the tone for the foot not turning toward the plate too early, which it looks like you do. That will open the hips far too early, robbing you of the energy you want to transfer to the torso.

2. It looks, from viewing the front view, like you’re swinging your throwing arm down and back BEHIND your body, not just toward 2nd base. It’s a “long arm” swing, which Chris likes but I typically don’t. It can be done but it’s easier if you bend the elbow while lifting the ball up, rather than swinging it in a large arc, down, back and up. Very few swing and sling. It’s not wrong, just a bit more tricky. Dropping down, swing the ball back toward second, just a bit, then bending the elbow and lifting the ball up is what 95% of the major leaguers do. It takes a while to change or improve arm action but I’d suggest it.

3. When your front foot lands, you look like you’re shifting and leaning your upper body and head toward your back, or first base a lot. Has someone told you that you should throw “over the top”? Leaning back and throwing over the top seem to be connected to “longarming”. Longarming is when you never really get a bend in the elbow throughout the entire delivery and you kind of toss the ball, like when throwing a hand grenade.

You need to stay more upright when the shoulders turn. Your head can go to the left just as you go into release but don’t lean that way early. It tends to be because your mind is saying that you want to get your head out of the way so you can throw over the top.

Give me your email address and I’ll send a couple of examples.

Now, those comments are REAL GUESSES because the videos aren’t really the best. Get some better ones and send them to me.

Later. "

That’s a PM I recieved from dm59, I really appreciate him analyzing my videos. I know I should have put more effort in the videos as far as getting a better view of myself. I’m sorry and I will correct them next time. Does anyone have anything to add to this? I don’t think he will get upset for me posting his advice so I went ahead. Thanks So Much dm59 I really apppreciate it…

Not too surprising that you can throw a big breaking curve when you’re on. You’re throwing nearly straight overhand.

I’d recommend working with a pitching coach. Your motion looks a bit awkward and I don’t like your arm action, and I agree with DM, too much like someone lobbing a hand grenade, but it is similar in some ways to Jim Palmer’s and he didn’t do too badly.

(Not surprisingly,) I don’t have a big problem with your arm action or arm slot. It reminds me of Sandy Koufax and Jim Palmer. One of the reasons Koufax’s curveball was so effective was due to his high arm slot.

Have you seen my breakdown of Jim Palmer…

One thing to keep in mind, and one reason to lower your arm slot slightly (to 3/4 or high 3/4), is that Palmer had back problems. I believe that was due in part to his high arm slot.

I agree.

I kind of agree.

I like a long arm swing, but I don’t like the hand to go behind the body. Instead, I prefer that the hand break back toward the 2B bag and go down, out, and then up.

I kind of agree.

I actually think that a disproportionate number of long-term successes could be described as slingers. That includes guys like Jim Palmer and Juan Marichal.

I agree that this happens, but I’m not convinced that it’s bad (and think that it might be good. Again, at least Jim Palmer and Juan Marichal did it.

Bottom line is that I really wouldn’t mess with you (except for the GS foot) barring a significant problem.

[quote=“Chris O’Leary”]I don’t have a big problem with your arm action or arm slot. It reminds me of Sandy Koufax and Jim Palmer.[/quote]Acknowledging that the video is very difficult to see details in, a difference is that Jim Palmer ends up with the elbow coming forward, initiating external rotation with timing and motion pretty much the same as those who employ a horiz. W or M motion.

Wooddell89’s arm action looks like it lacks the timing and motion with the elbow coming when the shoulders turn.

Now, I qualify any of my statements because of the distance of the camera from the pitcher.

[quote=“Chris O’Leary”]I actually think that a disproportionate number of long-term successes could be described as slingers.[/quote]I don’t have stats to the contrary but I’d be curious to see some that support this statement.

I really havent read anyone’s posts on this topic so if I am repeating some things Im sorry.

What I noticed is that you kind of stop your arm when “reaching back” I think this can cause some stress on the rotator cuff in the future. We had a pitcher do this on my summer team, and he was always complaing of shoulder stiffness.

You also really fall off the mound to the side, I think that this can hinder your velocity and your accuracy when throwing, if you are moving your body side to side then you are losing vlo. Everything needs to be going North to South not East to West.

I dont like the big “rock step” to the side, it seems to me that if you take a real big step that you can easily throw your head and shoulders out of alignment and it will be hard for you to keep focused on your target with your head and shoulders moving everywhere when you are going through mechanics.

Great curve though :slight_smile:

I never have shoulder problems. I usually develop tendonitis but even that has gone way down due to me loading up on omega 3’s for the past 4 months. What do you mean you wouldn’t mess with me except for my GS foot? What is the GS foot? What am I doing wrong with it. Also comments from anyone else would be great…

[quote=“Wooddell89”] What is the GS foot? quote]

glove side foot

I noticed the following:

(1) Too much head movement and posture change. It starts with your rocker step to the side - your head moves to the 1B side. Then it moves back toward 3B. As your front knee drops after knee lift and your back leg breaks, your head and torso appear to lean sideways (toward 2B). At foot strike, you lean back toward 1B. As the shoulders come around, the backward lean becomes a sideways lean (still toward 1B).

Solution: Minimize the rocker step to the side and find a posture that allows your core strength to stablize your head through your delivery.

(2) During your stride, you appear to reach with the front foot instead of leading with the front hip. This most likely contributes to - if not causes - the above posture change toward 2B.

Solution: Start the hips forward sooner and faster.

(3) You appear to stride to the closed side (kind of hard to tell in the video). This likely contributes to the late posture change toward 1B - you bend to the left (toward 1B) at the waist as the shoulders come around and attempt to get back online with the target.

Solution: Wait and see what getting the hips going does. If this is still an issue, try starting on the left side of the rubber.

(4) Hip and shoulder separation looks good.

(5) Front side stability is non-existent. You drop your glove, open up the front shoulder early and are over-rotated at release. This causes you to throw more with just the arm which puts more stress on the arm. It also costs you some velocity and control.

Solution: Again, wait and see what getting the hips going does. These issues might take care of themselves. If not, learn to swivel glove over so palm faces your chest and bring the chest to the glove.

(6) After release, you fall off to the side and finish with your glove way behind you in a position that makes it all but impossible to use it to protect yourself against a liner hit back at you. Teams will bunt to your throwing arm side - especially with a runner on 2B.

Solution: This should fix itself by fixing the other things.