video of my mechanics

finally i have one! check it out. tips, comments, concerns more than welcome

hey i noticed you dont tuck your glove and pretty much dont use your glove side at all. another thing is you run off to your glove side after you throw. you should try to go through your catcher. this one i dont know about but it seems you may have a tiny bit too short of a stride, that could be because im 6’3 tho and i have probably too long of a stride but anyway hope i was able to help

i overall like it.

there is maybe some work to do with your lifting leg to make it more constent and you seem to hook your wrist when you bring it in your back which can cause some rushing and lack of control. that hooking i’m talking about looks alot like barry zito which might explain in parts why he has some control problems. I like it though.

Ok you dont look like you explode enough. And it would be smart to pull the glove in so you can pull the torso faster. also you do hook the wrist a little control will be a problem but mostly you did great cant wait to see the next video with the new mechanics. Are you throwing at game speed?

How old are you and how fast is your fastball?

[quote=“4pie”]i overall like it.

there is maybe some work to do with your lifting leg to make it more constent and you seem to hook your wrist when you bring it in your back which can cause some rushing and lack of control. that hooking i’m talking about looks alot like barry zito which might explain in parts why he has some control problems. I like it though.[/quote]

yes i see what you mean. ill work on both.

i was thinking the same thing about my stride. id like to hear from roger, chris, dm59, chinmusic and everybody else about that to though.

[quote=“RIstar”]Ok you dont look like you explode enough. And it would be smart to pull the glove in so you can pull the torso faster. also you do hook the wrist a little control will be a problem but mostly you did great cant wait to see the next video with the new mechanics. Are you throwing at game speed?

How old are you and how fast is your fastball?[/quote]

yea i thought i wasnt being explosive too. no that was definetly not game speed. i was just going through my mechanics to get video. i had to throw a real bull pen the next day. and ive never been gunned before so i could tell any of you how hard i throw.

on a side note i threw in a preseason game tonight. 2 k’s 0 runs and no hits.

(1) You don’t appear to be getting as much out of your body as you should. I suggest leading with the hips a bit longer by getting them going sooner and faster to build up more momentum. Do no sacrifice the knee lift - force the front leg to be quicker going from apex of knee lift to foot plant. This will create more momentum that can be transferred up the chain. This may also increase your stride a bit and it should get you into foot strike quicker.

(2) You appear to sweep your glove up and around and down. The up part is similar to Andy Pettitte. But I believe Pettitte then brings his glove down in a more controlled manner to finish up and more in front than you do. (I’m going by some foggy memory of Pettitte.) I prefer a more stable glove - keeping it in front of the torso and above the belt.

(3) You appear to open up early sometimes. Getting the hips going and getting into foot strike quicker should take care of this.

(4) You appear to be over-rotated at release on your offspeed pitches. This could tip your pitches enough to let batters adjust their timing. It could also be an indicator that you’re slowing your arm down. Make sure you use the same arm speed as your fastball and let the grip and pronation reduce the ball speed. Adjust your grip and add more pronation (to your comfort level) if you feel you need to take more off the pitch.

There you go…

These guys seem to know a lot about pitching mechanics and analisyng them.
I wonder why none of them comented my last videos that I uploaded…most be 'cause of my mound :oops:

I’m with Roger on the momentum issue. The biggest thing I see with regards to this is that you definitely go to, and pause at, the dreaded “balance point”. :shock: Your step to the side, IMO, reinforces that. My suggestion is to try stepping back instead of to the side and do not stop the forward motion of your centre of gravity at the balance point. Get that c.o.g. moving.

I think you’re trying to “look like a pitcher”, rather than throw the ball. Scrap the balance point, take your rocker step back rather than to the side, keep the momentum increasing, sideways. Your stride length should lengthen if you do this and your explosiveness will hopefully improve. If you try all of this, let us know how it felt and if it helps.

On pulling the glove to help with rotation, I’m a big “believer” that this is NOT what hard throwing MLB pitchers do. There are threads here somewhere that discuss this.

Nikae09.
Take heart, every now and again a video gets missed. Don’t hesitate to repost.

quote=“Roger” You don’t appear to be getting as much out of your body as you should. I suggest leading with the hips a bit longer by getting them going sooner and faster to build up more momentum. Do no sacrifice the knee lift - force the front leg to be quicker going from apex of knee lift to foot plant. This will create more momentum that can be transferred up the chain. This may also increase your stride a bit and it should get you into foot strike quicker.

(2) You appear to sweep your glove up and around and down. The up part is similar to Andy Pettitte. But I believe Pettitte then brings his glove down in a more controlled manner to finish up and more in front than you do. (I’m going by some foggy memory of Pettitte.) I prefer a more stable glove - keeping it in front of the torso and above the belt.

(3) You appear to open up early sometimes. Getting the hips going and getting into foot strike quicker should take care of this.

(4) You appear to be over-rotated at release on your offspeed pitches. This could tip your pitches enough to let batters adjust their timing. It could also be an indicator that you’re slowing your arm down. Make sure you use the same arm speed as your fastball and let the grip and pronation reduce the ball speed. Adjust your grip and add more pronation (to your comfort level) if you feel you need to take more off the pitch.[/quote]

roger thank you for your time. the one thing that stands out the most to me is getting my hips moving sooner. problem is my highschool pitching coach preaches balance point. any suggestions???

ill work on the arm speed for my off speed. thank you.

[quote=“dm59”]I’m with Roger on the momentum issue. The biggest thing I see with regards to this is that you definitely go to, and pause at, the dreaded “balance point”. :shock: Your step to the side, IMO, reinforces that. My suggestion is to try stepping back instead of to the side and do not stop the forward motion of your centre of gravity at the balance point. Get that c.o.g. moving.

I think you’re trying to “look like a pitcher”, rather than throw the ball. Scrap the balance point, take your rocker step back rather than to the side, keep the momentum increasing, sideways. Your stride length should lengthen if you do this and your explosiveness will hopefully improve. If you try all of this, let us know how it felt and if it helps.

On pulling the glove to help with rotation, I’m a big “believer” that this is NOT what hard throwing MLB pitchers do. There are threads here somewhere that discuss this.[/quote]

hey dm59, thank you. i agree with scrapping the balance point. i nhavent liked it ever since you and roger started talking about it since forever ago. My highschool pitching coach teaches it though. suggestions.

now about stepping sideways. it always felt more comfortable. but yes i believe you are right and that i should take a rocker step. it looks cooler too :slight_smile:

what do you mean about pulling the glove to help with rotation?

RIstar mentioned the following:

[quote]And it would be smart to pull the glove in so you can pull the torso faster.[/quote]This is heard often and heated threads have ensued on various boards. hsbaseballweb.com had one a couple of months ago that Roger and I both participated in. I think Chris may have posted also but I’m not sure. Anyway, I don’t subscribe to the thinking that you fuel shoulder rotation by pulling the glove or elbow back. There are plenty of videos in the Library that you can study for their glove arm action. I do not see the glove or elbow being pulled back. I’ve spent a lot of time looking at this and I don’t see it but others out there swear that it’s there. Look and see for yourself is my recommendation.

I think you look solid.

In particular, I like that you PAS elbow doesn’t get too high and that you don’t lock your GS knee.

I agree with forgetting about the balance point. I would also suggest that you always go from the Set position. Your Wind-Up isn’t gaining you anything and just makes your delivery slower and more complex.

For safety and fielding’s sake, I would prefer that your glove finished at your GS pec rather than your GS hip. I don’t care so much if you pull it in or just bring your torso to it.

so overall, what do you all believe is the most crucial thing to work on at the moment? i dont have much time until my first game and i cant just rearrange everything right away… what should i start with?

definetly start by forgeting everything about the balance point. hips going sooner is what changed my way of pitching.