Video finally

I included one of the front, back and side. I noticed I lean back when I lift my leg because I swing it up rather than just lifting. My hip/shoulder rotation could be better.
Feel free to post all your thoughts and drills I can do to fix my mechanics.

I’ll post the side video later… it’s taking a long time to be processed and get up… I’ll try to get it up in 20mins or so.

here’s the side view

Snake
You’re flailing with your throwing hand/arm. You’re swinging it back behind your back while it’s at the bottom. Then, you supinate your forearm (you turn it over to have your hand under the ball) really early. As a result of these 2 things, the ball overtakes the elbow on the way up too early.

My recommendation to you is to keep the ball pointing downward much longer and lift with a bent elbow. Don’t swing the ball behind your back at the bottom like that. Keep a bend in it, if only slightly, and lift the elbow/forearm/back of hand together as a unit. Do not turn that hand over until everything has come to shoulder height. Actually, keep the hand turned over (pronated forearm) all the way to the top. Let the whipping action of the arm as your shoulders rotate turn the hand/ball over without you thinking of doing it. So, with a bent elbow, lift the back of hand/forearm up. The forearm/back of hand continues by rotating upward and backward (toward 1st base). Shoulder rotation and forward upper torso movement will CAUSE the supination and whipping action you are close to now.

Secondly, you’re not getting your chest thrusting forward to release. You’re falling off to your left side. Bring that chest FORWARD so that, at release, your chest is out over your landing leg more. Check out your finish. You almost fall. Use more back leg extension and rotation to drive your back hip (and your centre of gravity) forward more. This should be part of your attempt to drive the centre of gravity sideways for a longer period of time in order to build up the momentum that needs to be transferred to the upper body. In short, lengthen that stride, despite what you might hear from some on this board. If you don’t believe me, give me your email address and I’ll show you video of many MLB pitchers and we can have a discussion about the stride by email (or MSN) while looking at those, rather than by words only on this board.

my email is SnakeManiac72@aol.com
Thanks a lot DM

I don’t see this at all.

He looks very pronated to me during his arm swing (fingers on top of the ball).

I saw a few things…

1. I agree that you swing your leg out rather than just lifting the knee up.

2. You do a good job of striding sideways.

3. I like how your glove-side knee stays bent the whole time.

4. Your timing looks good (e.g. no sign of rushing).

5. I think your hips rotate reasonably well ahead of your shoulders.

I see this:

(1) You take your knee to your back shoulder with decent height. This is all good. But you also lean back during your knee lift.

(2) You appear to lead with the hips reasonably well.

(3) You seem to get good separation of hips and shoulders.

(4) You don’t delay shoulder rotation as long as I think you can.

(5) I expect your stride to be longer than it is but your foot seems to plant early (in one of the side views).

(6) Your glove finishes to your side.

(7) You don’t maintain an upright spine into release.

(8) Your chest and chin are behind your front foot at release which means your release point isn’t as close to home plate as it could be.

(9) Your head veers to the left and you fall off to the left.

Ok, some good things and some not-so-good things. So, which of the not-so-good things are causes and which are symptoms?

(9) Falling off to the side is definitely a symptom. Fix the things that affect your posture and balance and this should take care of itself. Make sure you start with a posture that allows you to keep your head on line with the target as long as possible.

(8) Release point is the result of all the mechanics leading up to it so fix the other things and this will take care of itself.

(7) Not maintaining an upright spine into release is also a symptom. This is partly caused by the lean during knee lift, the glove arm finishing to your side, and possibly a lack of functional strength in your lower back.

(6) This is a cause of other problems. The glove finishing to the side is an indication that you pull the glove which can lead to opening up the shoulders early. And that can make it harder to delay shoulder rotation and it can also affect posture and balance.

(5) I feel your stride is a symptom in that it is being caused by the things that cause posture and early shoulder rotation problems.

(4) Not delaying shoulder rotation enough. This is caused by the same causes as (7). Once your posture is ruined, your body is pulled offline from the target. The causes screw up your timing such that it becomes impossible to delay the shoulders.

As you can see, a number of different symptoms are caused by the some of the same causes. In particular, posture and balance, the head and the glove have big impacts on everything.

Thanks a lot everybody. My stride length if you are wondering what it is, is just average length. It’s about 5’5" or so, and I’m 5’10.5"

That’s actually a good stride length so I don’t think it needs to be a concern.

But that’s strange, though, because it looked like you spun out to the side and that caused you to have to plant your foot sooner than it should. Tom House and the NPA have come up with a “Pitcher’s Paradox”. Part of that says that the less efficient you are with your mechanics, the quicker the weight transfers from back foot to front foot. This is what I thought I saw in your video.

well, I once did a little test to make sure my stride was appropriate in length by laying down on the mound w/ my feet on the rubber and drew a line at my head, and my stride length pretty much covered that. I think it’s just that my shoulders are already completely open by the time Im planted, and falling towards 1st base.

I think that fixing his arm action is the single most effective thing this pitcher can do right now. The rest is of very little import when compared to this arm action.

Next to that, he’s getting very little stretch out of the lower body. It’s all much too compact. I still maintain that the stride is too short. The back knee pulls forward and in, as recommended by many but is something the pros very rarely do. He needs to extend that back leg as it rotates.

Arm action first though. Biggest bang for the buck you’ll get. Yes, work on the rest but not at the expense of serious arm action work.

Snake. I’ll email you soon with my take on that.

DM,

You and I both commented on the stride length yet he says his stride length is 5.5" short of his height. Where’s the disconnect here?

[quote=“Roger”]DM, You and I both commented on the stride length yet he says his stride length is 5.5" short of his height. Where’s the disconnect here?[/quote]Good question. All I can say is that he’s much too compact with the lower body when he lands. No extension.

Agreed.