Video camera question - good one for mechanical analysis

Off topic but what is a quality camera for slow motion replay and easy upload/ dvd burn? I have a sony dvd burner so probably looking for a sony, just wasnt sure on the HD video and optic zoom levels.

You can’t beat the Casio Exilim models if you want high-speed replay.

re: “You can’t beat the Casio Exilim models”

–That is no longer necessarily true. Casio EX-F1, was for several years the best consumer-level camera for high speed video/slo-mo; however, Casio discontinued the EX-F1 years ago. Casio then followed the EX-F1 with several generations of cheaper cameras that would still do acceptable slo-mo, but at successively lower pixel resolution values and somewhat slower frame rates. As far as I am aware, the only Casio Exilim model that will still do slo-mo is Casio EX-ZR100 (caveat emptor: there are many other different models that fall under the Casio sobriquet “Exilim”–and there is no description of any high speed capability in the specs for most of them.)

The important issue here is what you are willing/able to pay versus what pixel resolution you want (and, in general you should always want the highest resolution possible…whether you can afford it or not is a question for your individual circumstances).

The Casio EX-ZR100 costs <$200. It will do 240fps video @ 432 x 320 pixels resolution. At very small screen dimensions, that resolution may look acceptable, but the image quality will degrade very significantly if you try to view your video at “full screen” size on any typical computer.

The EX-F1 takes 300 fps vid @ 512 x 380 pixels (again, no longer manufactured, although you can apparently buy 'em on E-Bay for 30-40% more than the original cost)… So, if you do the math the pixel resolution of the EX-F1 is about 40% better than the currently available ZR100.

There is now a JVC hybrid, the JVC-GC-PX10, priced at about $800-$900, that takes 300 fps video @ 640 x 360 pixel resolution–that’s nearly 70% better resolution compared to the best that Casio now offers in the ZR100.

So, the answer is complex and may be more related to what you can afford than what you want…but in terms of resolution, which controls picture quality at larger screen sizes, you definitely get what you pay for.

Unfortunately, to get into the range of truly stunning HiDef resolution standards at high frame rates like 500 - 1000 fps, you need think about a second mortgage on your house.

Let’s not even talk about the 10,000 FPS cameras out there that shoot 1000 FPS at near-VGA quality! Unbelievable. I can only hope the price comes down.

The EX-F1 being OVER cost is pretty absurd. I was hoping I could get 4 of them at 30% off the original cost since they are software controllable, and write my own drivers/software to control them for lab purposes. That would be perfect. Sadly, I have to use my EX-FH25’s (which you also can find for 30-50% markup!).

At any rate, the ZR-100 will be good enough at 210 FPS for most sports lovers out there.

re: “ZR-100 will be good enough at 210 FPS for most sports lovers out there.”

Well, maybe. But. it’s not the 210 fps frame rate that will irritate people who may spend money on what could turn out to be “the wrong choice”.

For the velocity range of most human motions, 210 fps is probably good enough.

However, the OP said he wants to burn DVDs, presumably for viewing on large-screen devices. Playing back a 432 x 320 pixel image at any screen size greater than about 5" by 3" may be surprisingly disappointing.

That’s why the JVC, at 640 x 360 pixels, 300 fps, may be a reasonably accessible option for those who want the best affordable resolution.

for the slo mo portion, it will only be viewed on my computer. The burning portion is for when I want to archive his games, I dont think we would be watching it in slow motion anytime later once it gets to that point.

I have a panasonic right now that does ok in slow mo, its just a pain in the rear to burn the contents since its not a sony to my sony stand alone dvd burner.

You can’t beat the value.

Can shoot at 30, 240-1000 FPS. 240 FPS is quite good.

Also this model has 12.5X zoom and 12.1 MP.

Has instant playback everything goes to SD card

I bought package which included mini tripod, cleaning kit, carrying case and 8GB SD card for $220 including shipping on Amazon.

Ed

Don’t know about the other EXILIM models but my EX-F1 records directly in .MOV format which is readily played using QuickTime. So, it would be very easy to write the .MOV files to a CD or DVD as data files instead of in DVD format.

just got around to looking at these cameras, are these digital cameras instead of video cameras?

They are digital cameras and record to a memory card.

I think Radio Shack sells them for you to take a look.

As mentioned I have the XR 100 and couldn’t be happier.

It has 12x zoom and 12MP. Can record at 30 FPS as well as 240-100FPS.

If you’re recording at 240+ indoors and the lighting is fluorescent the lights will flicker because they are - fluorescent lights are ‘cycling’ with the power. The current is alternating - reversing polarity 60 times a second so if the recording is 240 times a second its faster than the lighting.

I don’t think you’ll be disappointed if you get the XR 100.

As mentioned I got a package thru Amazon which came with case, cleaning kit, tripod, charger and 8GB memory card. All for $220.

Good luck,

Ed

Cameras with MANUAL exposure control are most desirable for high speed video analysis. With MANUAL shutter speed control you can set a fast shutter and minimize motion blur. Other cameras have AUTO exposure control and AUTO usually does not select the fastest shutter speed. AUTO control cameras will have more motion blur.

The Casio cameras that were manufactured with MANUAL exposure control were the F1 (2008), FH20, FH25, and last the FH100 (2010). For example, you can select a shutter speed down to 1/40,000sec in the FH100. The cost of these Casio cameras used is now higher than when new. Casio did not sell enough of these high performance cameras with full MANUAL control and, unfortunately, they ceased making them in 2010. I believe that all other affordable high speed video cameras now offered are AUTO.

A site that lists high speed cameras - you can select speed (240fps is a very good frame rate for athletics), camera type, etc. -

http://snapsort.com/explore/best-compacts/240fps-highspeed-movies-24-months-recent?page=2

See also

Kinovea Thread - Basic High Speed Video Camera Considerations

http://www.kinovea.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?id=435

dpreview - Casio Talk Forum

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1015

Golfers have been the largest group of users of Casio cameras -

I was checking prices for used or new Casio Ex FH100 cameras and was surprised to find some new ones from a Japanese company. I don’t know the company. $349!

http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Casio-High-Speed-EXILIM-EX-FH100-10-1-MP-Digital-Camera-Silver-/100162917

This camera has manual exposure control and a very fast shutter (1 /40,000 sec). I don’t know if these are left over from the last production run or what. ?

I have no experience with Eye Fi SD cards. In the Casio FH100 Eye Fi cards use a wireless Wi Fi type communication to download the camera files to a computer. This type card can also download to an iPad but I have not tried myself.