Video Analysis for my 18 year old

My son is 11 months out from Tommy John and were working on getting him ready for his senior season…any input on his mechanics would be most appreciated…thanks in advance.

I’m replying, but not to give advice. I want to see if what I’m seeing is what those with vastly superior knowledge see.

1. posting and balancing rather than starting f/w hip movement as the lift leg comes up and reaches its peak
  2. collapsing the front leg as he lands.
  3. points the ball at second (bad for arm health)

OK, done. Let’s see those who know respond.

Good luck with your son!!!

Thank you sir…i appreciate your comment.

Don’t thank me until someone that knows what they’re talking about chimes in!

Not bad @2022dad, his posting isn’t really all that bad and pointing the ball toward the second baseman is not necessarily bad since he rotates his torso that far as well, so in my opinion he stays connected there.
I think his bigger problem is the spongy landing leg. He’s not firming up on it. It’s absorbing energy rather than transferring energy up through the body. Being this low also is limiting on trunk flexion.
My son was throwing low 70’s with this flaw he developed when he was 12/13 pitching off his first 60/90 field. I still think he developed it as a compensation for the ever-present landing pit or as I also call it–the forward foxhole. As soon as we firmed up his landing, he was able to vault into the upper 70’s. Two years after fixing it, he’s 16 and in the low 80’s.
I mention my son because this year he is a child-possessed about his workouts. He really worked on his squats, forward and lateral lunges, and he has been planking and doing hundreds of quality sit ups each day to strengthen his core and improve his dynamic balance. He also has very strong arms since he can rip off 35-40 pull ups at a time. He knows how fast I throw still and he really wants mid 80’s this spring. If he hits that he’ll pass where I was as a HS Senior while he’ll be in his Junior year. I think this is the year he will pass me in velocity (I still have a low to mid 80’s 4-seamer).

I think, for Zach, he needs to work on his conditioning to take the next step. It worked for me, it’s working for my son, too.

Thanks CoachPaul…during his recovery he was limited in his workouts etc but since he has really worked hard…we will work on that land leg and hopefully that wil get him a little more…currently hes throwing mid to upper 80s and working hard to reach his goal of mid 90s…again thanks for your input…im still pitching at 45 and reaching 80-83…but he has surpassed my high school max and he has much more ability than i ever had…good luck to your son as well :slight_smile:

Your son looks very solid. A couple of small suggestions:

1. I’m a big advocate of taking a much smaller/shorter rocker step straight back or at a 45 angle, as opposed to the side. I think taking a big step directly to the side, slows down a pitcher’s motion and prohibits the ability to start generating momentum early in the delivery, which leads to my second suggestion…

2. I’d like to see him move faster down the mound so that when he releases the baseball, his chin is out in front of his stride/plant foot toes, instead of directly over it or behind it. Pitchers that move fast correctly start drifting slightly toward home plate at the apex of their leg lift – and then that momentum then continues throughout the entire rest of the delivery.

Thanks Mr Ellis…we will work on this in his next bullpen.

Your abducting your arm above your shoulder at front foot strike. A healthier pitcher’s elbow is below the shoulder until shoulder rotation. This may be the cause of your TJ surgery. You also need to work on getting more linear and more explosive. Keep up the work.

Hey Coach Ellis…recently my son has been having arm pains when he throws , around the top side of his forearm elbow area. Originally it was in his bicep and now it seems to have moved . We think its tendonitis as his Dr. that performed his TJ surgery couldn’t see any ligament or muscle damage. Zach says its a throbbing pain in his arm that makes his arm shake after throwing. He is working with his school trainer now to determine the best treatment plan for this. Do you have any experience with these kind of pains in your arm and if so whats the best treatment? Thanks for your time.

I’m sorry I don’t have a good solution for you. I’d check back with your doc or PT and see if they can set up a recovery plan. Could be overuse, but also could be muscle imbalances with your son’s bi’s and tri’s.

Looking at the original videos, what jumps out at me is it looks like he pulls his glove back and to the side instead of stabilizing it over the front foot and bringing his torso to the glove. Pulling the glove almost always results in early shoulder rotation and that leaves the throwing arm dragging behind causing it to play catch-up. And that’s extra wear and tear on the elbow.

Nolan Ryan glove stabilized in front of torso.

Given your son’s past elbow issues, timing (especially that of shoulder rotation) should be a primary focus.

Will do, thanks Coach.

Thank you sir! Will work on this…

It may be his lack of external rotation. This may be because of poor elbow mobility. Basically since the arm can’t lay back all the way it takes on all the torque putting a lot of stress on the elbow. You would want to ha e 180 degrees of external rotation but it seems he only has 110 around. This is probably a mobility problem.

His elbow also pushes out in front of his face. There have been many case studies proving it increases the valgus torque on the elbow. If he pulls down on the ball, tell him to stop!

[quote=“GreenMonster08, post:16, topic:18199, full:true”]
It may be his lack of external rotation. This may be because of poor elbow mobility.[/quote]
External rotation happens in the shoulder - not the elbow. The elbow is a stable joint - do NOT try to make it be mobile!

If it’s the shoulder, then why is it the elbow that is getting pushed back? The shoulder isn’t externally rotating. I used to have poor inch external rotation yet my shoulders were very mobile and I could ply jump rope with my arms by clasping my hands together and bringing them behind my body without letting go. Yet my external rotation wasn’t amazing. I worked on the movement of external rotation unitil finally my elbow was mobile enough to lay back 180 degrees

External rotation (and internal rotation) refers to rotation of the humerus (upper arm) in the shoulder socket.

Joints in the body are alternatingly stabile or mobile:

Ankle - mobile
Knee - stabile
Hip - mobile
Lumbar spine - stabile
Thoracic spine - mobile
Scapula - stabile
Shoulder - mobile
Elbow - stabile
Wrist - mobile

When you try to use a stabile joint as a mobile joint (or vice versa), you risk injury. This is one reason why not to play through pain.