Vid of my mechanics; not the best- please help

Haha I capsed the title so that more people would notice. :stuck_out_tongue:

I finally have a video of my mechanics. The angle isn’t that good and I didn’t feel like I was pitching that well. I was throwing REALLY slow compared to how I usually throw, which probably had to do with it being mid 40’s outside. Actually, it was so cold, I got blisters on my fingers just from warming up with a catch! My mechanics are generally like this, but today I just felt off and my mechs felt a little different. Can you tell me anything from this?

All input is appreciated, and I am giving everyone a premature/early “thank you.”

BTW I’m pretty sure that I rush and I think it causes my stride to shorten a little. Right now I’m trying to fix this.

Make sure you don’t wobble out to the side of the mound.

You want to stay in a fielder’s position.

So in case the batter hits it to you, you’ll get an easy out.

Yeah, the thing is, if you finish perfectly linear, aligned to the plate, doesn’t it sort of indicate that you’re not even trying to throw that hard? That “intent to throw” kinda thing. Many hard throwing MLBers don’t finish perfectly aligned at all (and they’re probably not good fielders).

Anything else you noticed in over 9 minutes of me pitching? :lol:

Need to get more out of legs and stride futher. Thats about all I could get from this vid. get more views so I could check other stuff. Wish I could help more. and since you said thank you I’ll say “your welcome”

Yeah, just watching this it looks like because I rush I shorten my stride.

BTW if you didn’t already read, I was throwing really slow in this clip. :cry:

What angles should I get and should I do anything to the clip like slow it down, etc.?

Noticed a couple things:

(1) Your release point doesn’t seem to be out front where I think it should be. At the same time, you seem to have a lot of momentum left in you after you release the ball as it carries you forward quite a bit after release. You need to find a way to get more of that momentum to happen behind and into the ball. I’m thinking ou could get the hips started forward a bit sooner and keep the glove up a bit longer which will help you stay closed longer and rotate the shoulders later. This should have the effect of lengthening your stride but, more importantly, it will adjust your timing and let you expend that energy before release.

(2) Start with your feet closer together when in the set position. As it is, you have a weight shift back towards 2B just to lift your knee. If I’m a runner on 1B and I see you weight shift, I’m off to the races. Also, having the front foot closer to the rubber will make it not be such a groin stretch to step off and turn and throw to 1B.

[quote=“Roger”]I’m thinking ou could get the hips started forward a bit sooner and keep the glove up a bit longer which will help you stay closed longer and rotate the shoulders later. This should have the effect of lengthening your stride but, more importantly, it will adjust your timing and let you expend that energy before release.

[/quote]

Again, Roger, you are on the money.

The glove gets tucked pretty early. This has the dual affect of retarding his weight shift and encourages early rotation, causing him to open too quickly.

He is pretty linear, which leads me to believe a good part of his energy is being expended trying to stay on line to the plate instead of throwing the ball. Also, as you said, his release point is really high. If he brings that down and forward towards the plate he should see more velocity and accuracy.

Hose

Wow, thanks, that seems like a lot to improve on!

What are some things I can do to work on my mechs?

EDIT: Hose, what can I do to improve my uh, curvilinearity? When I’m pitching I’m not thinking “control, step forward, right over” I’m thinking “throw the heck outta the ball!”

Overall, how do I improve myself?

BUMP

I really want/need help :lol:

I think the towel drill would be a great way to start making the adjustments I suggested earlier. By getting the hips going forward sooner and by keeping the glove up longer (i.e. not dropping the elbow and turning the glove over until the front foot plants), you should be able to hit the target with the towel. The target should be at a distance of your stride plus 5 of your heal-to-toe step and at about your eye level at release. Really focus on momentum, keeping the glove up, and rotating the shoulders as late as possible. Once you figure out how to put it together and can hit the target with the towel consistently, then take it to your live throwing and try to repeat those same things while throwing a ball.

Where did you say the exact correct way to do the towel drill?

Check this thread
http://letstalkpitching.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=18136#18136