Velocity

Okay here’s the deal:
RiStar and I have been discussing in the FOR PITCHERS LOOKING TO GAIN MPH topic about velocity.

1. I believe you can have good velocity on your fastball without having a quick, up tempo windup OR a windup that is up tempo.

2)RiStar believes that you MUST have a quick, up tempo windup to have maximum velocity on your fastball.

Just wanted everyone’s opinion, so please post up.

Okay heresmy opinion, there are probably an pretty even amount of pitchers who throw hard that have eihter slow or fast tempo motions. Both ways work. The hardest thrower in the bigs right now is probably verlander whos at 94-100 for the whole game, and he has an up tempo motion. The other hardest throwing pitchers are maybe rich harden whos has a semi fast motion. kyle farnesworth hits 96-100 sometimes he has an pretty slow motion windup. Josh Beckett throws 94-98 he has a semi fast motion. C.C. throws 91-96 he has a pretty controlled windup. Zumaya has a pretty slow motion hes at 96-103. I have a up tempo motion and i like it more than a slow but both ways can work. There is no one way to throw hard and there are many vaiables in a pitchers velo including height,strength,genetics,quality of mechanics.

your arm have to move fast in order to throw hard but it’s more about how fast you lift your leg and start to stride forward.

Brendan Donnelly for exemple has a pretty fast tempo and hard delivery but he doesn’t really break the 90 barrier that often.

chien-ming wang is all slow and controlled but he gets to 94-96

hideki okajima has a hard and fast delivery but he doesn’t throw hard either

while curt schilling is all slow but gets to 95-98 in a hurry.

both work

I completely agree
:smiley:

You are asking the wrong question.

The question should be to be more efficent in pitching.

DO you need to move fast

Do you need to move slow

See…
You’re so arrogant and big headed that you won’t even concede that I’m right. Now you’re trying to change the topic at hand.

I completely agree
:D[/quote] I second this

NO If you want to have a arguement on a topic fast or slow it has to be which on is more efficent then the other. Since they both work you need to know which one is more efficent.

WHAT??? Are you finally conceding that I’m right???

These were your words :arrow: [quote]Move quicker to home plate. THe tempo should be quick and explosive not CALM AND CONTROLLEd which is the bad thing to do because to throw hard you must move quick.[/quote]

:o Remember that?

RIstar you are being pretty arrogant and it’s not helping you in any way. As the velocity question applies to efficiency as well, different strokes for different folks. Wang was an 18 game winner last year with a slow windup and then there are guys like Phil Hughes who pitches well with a fast one.

I agree wholeheartedly. The most efficient tempo for a particular pitcher is dependent on several factors. Their height, weight, age, and pitching style (overhand, sidearm, submarine) all work to determine the most efficient tempo. However, they can all achieve their maximum velocity, regardless of their particular tempo.

Ok and did you know wang has had an arm injury? OO im guess not he was injured very badly and was only throwing about 85 a couple years ago.

Oo im not saying you are right. If you are more efficent you will throw harder. What is happpening here is Roger and I know mroe then you guy’s and I think you fail to realize we are using physic’s as are base not oppion.

can you please just admit that every single time you post your right and everyone else is wrong like when you use CAPS to think that your answer is more important than anyone elses

[quote=“RIstar”]Ok and did you know wang has had an arm injury? OO im guess not he was injured very badly and was only throwing about 85 a couple years ago.

Oo im not saying you are right. If you are more efficent you will throw harder. What is happpening here is Roger and I know mroe then you guy’s and I think you fail to realize we are using physic’s as are base not oppion.[/quote]

But wait… you are still changing the subject.

If you still have any faith in your theory, answer this question :arrow:

Do you have to have a quick tempo while pitching in order to throw hard?

Bwahahahaha… :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes to throw hard you need to have a good tempo. OR you will be throwing with more arm then is needed. Tempo is on reason why pitchers at the high school level throw slow. And going quick will help you throw with the body.

Granted, some MLB pitchers move slow and still have good velocity doesn’t mean it is mechanically right. You want to throw hard then move fast. It’s a simple thing that you don’t understand.

[quote=“RIstar”]Yes to throw hard you need to have a good tempo. OR you will be throwing with more arm then is needed. Tempo is on reason why pitchers at the high school level throw slow. And going quick will help you throw with the body.

Granted, some MLB pitchers move slow and still have good velocity doesn’t mean it is mechanically right. You want to throw hard then move fast. It’s a simple thing that you don’t understand.[/quote]

But, you don’t have to move fast to throw hard. That’s a simple thing you don’t understand.

Ok face it, you are wrong it’s better to move fast and is more efficent then going slow. The faster you go sideway’s the harder you will throw because you will be able to rotate fast.

[quote=“RIstar”]Yes to throw hard you need to have a good tempo. OR you will be throwing with more arm then is needed. Tempo is on reason why pitchers at the high school level throw slow. And going quick will help you throw with the body.

Granted, some MLB pitchers move slow and still have good velocity doesn’t mean it is mechanically right. You want to throw hard then move fast. It’s a simple thing that you don’t understand.[/quote]

Says who?

Says who?
you say this is on fact, so I want to hear these facts.