velocity

WHat do you guys think is below, normal, and above average velocity for high school players

Freshmen probally like 70, soph mid to upper 70’s, and varsity 70’s to upper 80s and ocassionaly a few 90s but not many.

I’d like to think that freshman are about mid-70s. Sophomores are upper to mid-80s. Juniors and Senior together would range from mid-80s to 90.

Post subject:
I’d like to think that freshman are about mid-70s. Sophomores are upper to mid-80s. Juniors and Senior together would range from mid-80s to 90.

If we are talking average, there is no way that this could be right. There are very few pitchers that are able to hit 85-90 by there senior year let alone as a junior. Now if your talking about above average pitchers then its a little more acceptable.

I agree about with chandler2109. Leonheart your way off in my oppinon. No way the average sophmore throws upper 80’s. If anyone is upper 80’s as a sophmore they are probablly gonna be drafted out of HS. Keep in mind that very few people even in the majors throw much more than 90 and your sayin that the AVERAGE sophmore is throwing that???

I mostly agree with this, although I’d say that most run-of-the-mill HS pitchers top out in the mid 80s. However, the guys that I see who are pro prospects cruise in the high 80s (e.g. 88+) to low 90s (e.g. 88-91).

Also, remember that cruising speed and max speed are two different things. The speed that you cruise at (that you throw most fastballs at) is much more important than your top speed. Many guys can get up into the low 90s if they really gun it, but they have to back off into the mid to high 80s to be able to hit their spots.

For example, when it comes to Tanner, I’m much more impressed by his 90 MPH cruising speed than his 93 MPH top speed.