Velocity

What are the ranges (average, above average, excellent) for a 10/11 yr old’s velocity?

Probably around 20-30mph? It depends on there height, etc.

20-30?? For 10y/o? I doubt that would make it to the plate…

Some of the kids that I do pitching lessons for that are 10-12 years old are around 50 mph to low 60’s.
Try not to worry too much about speed at this age. Location Location Location!!! Changing speeds and keeping the hitter guessing!
Speed will eventually get you drafted but here is my list from most important to least:

1. Location
  2. Movement
  3. Velocity

Im 13, but my fastball only tops about 55. It might seem low, (and it is) but I mix it with a change-up and it works. :slight_smile:

I threw 25 when I was 4 at a Fan Fair…

My Son is 13 and he sometimes tops out at 62 but mostly he is in the mid 50’s. I use one of those radar glove devices, so that might explain the deference in speeds. He 5’5’’ and weighs 138 he also is a catcher. So his arm is in pretty good condition.
Now his friend who is 13 and the same size as far as height but a little thinner then my son can reach speeds in the low 70’s. So I wonder how much size plays in how hard a pitcher throws.
I have video taped both and looked at them to see if there is much difference in the mechanics. They throw pretty much the same. We use weighted balls 6oz and then the 4oz and finish with the 5oz. so there arms are getting the same workout.

Maybe it is just plain old genes on how hard someone can throw a baseball.

Luckily my son has good control and gets a lot of ground balls and pop up’s, were as his friend just blows it by kids.

Thanks Mr Ellis for this Web site. it has helped alot.

Here in central Florida, 10 year olds on competitive travel teams throw in the low to upper 50’s on average. This past Spring, I clocked about 25 9 year old pitchers and the faster ones (notice I didn’t say better, I said faster )started in the low 40’s and increased as the season progressed to the mid to upper 40’s. We recently attended 3 local tournaments and measured the 10:U teams (they moved up to the next age level as of 8/1/05). They were throwing in the upper 40’s to low 50’s. So, I suspect that by the end of the fall season (October), they will be in the mid to upper 50’s.

With that said, I agree with the previous post that all out velocity means nothing at this point. It is the change of velocity that counts. Hitting is about timing, pitching is about disrupting that timing.

Hope this helps and good luck![/i] 8)

[quote=“951DAD”]
Now his friend who is 13 and the same size as far as height but a little thinner then my son can reach speeds in the low 70’s. So I wonder how much size plays in how hard a pitcher throws.[/quote]

First off, is he pitching from little league distance or 60’?

At the little league level it is almost all upper body strength because most 10-13 year olds don’t have good mechanics. If he is in the higher leagues from the 60’ mounds, then his mechanics are probably just better and more fine tuned.

Better late than never right?

ya i didn’t really bother to check the date…

My son Turned 10 Sept 1 He has hit 53 but throws comfortable at 50 mph from 45’

I would have to agree with expropitcher on this one. Don’t worry how hard you kid is throwing, he’s too young to worry about that, his muscles aren’t developed enough yet to be over worked and trained for velocity. You should be working on control grips and mechanics. Regardless of how hard he throws right now, if you fine tune these things he will gain accuracy and consistency and a little velocity if that’s all you’re looking for.

I wouldn’t worry about speed, not at this stage of the game. As ExPro Pitcher said earlier, the important thing for the kid is location—what in my day we called “control”, putting the ball where you want it to go, and moving the ball around—high, low, inside, outside, and changing speeds on whatever pitch he’s throwing. In a couple of years he can start thinking about increasing the speed, when his arm is stronger than it is now.
And he can start thinking about developing a good changeup. I would suggest he try the palm ball, which puts no strain on the arm or shoulder. I threw one, and I used it as a change, and very effective it was too. 8)

When I was 10 i threw 45 at a camp and that was higher than most but two boys threw 52

When I was 11 I threw this:

Fastball: 51-55
Eephus Pitch: 25-35

What was cool is that I threw my eephus pitch just kile my fastball. I threw it staright in the air:)

for that age its about 40, whe trying ur hardest. im thirteen and my fastball tops out at about 50-55.

Why do we always judge pitchers on velocity vs accuracy? I can throw hard but I like the fact that I can hit spots more.

Buwhite, it seems to me that too many people have this obsession—no other word will do—with speed, speed and more speed. They can’t—or won’t—take other factors into account, and those other factors are very often more important. Have you ever noticed that there are a lot of finesse pitchers, particularly in the professional ranks, who are deadlier and more effective than a lot of the fireballers—often just because they don’t throw 95 MPH and above? They rely on control and command, the ability to throw strikes at any time and to make the batters go after THEIR pitch.
Ed Lopat was one of those finesse pitchers—one of the greatest strategic pitchers in the history of the game. He didn’t have a fast ball worthy of the name; he topped out at 86 or so, but because of his extensive repertoire and the command he had of all those pitches, when he threw that “fast ball” it looked to the batter as it if were coming at him at 106 MPH. Lopat had a favorite patsy—the Cleveland Indians, who at that time were a very good team (late 40s to mid-50s), and he consistently beat them to an unrecognizable pulp. He compiled a 40-13 lifetime record against them.
The irony was that the Indians could have had him. They could have purchased his contract from the AA Southern Association Atlanta Crackers at the end of the 1943 season, for a song. Instead, they chose to heed the words of their scouts who said that he would never make it to the majors because he did not have a fast ball; that decision came back to haunt them for the next twelve seasons! He spent four years being a good pitcher with a very lousy team (the Chicago White Sox); in 1948 he was traded to the Yankees just before spring training started, and he spent the next seven and a half years being a very, very good pitcher with a great team.
He couldn’t overpower the hitters, so he outfoxed them—as all good finesse pitchers have done over the decades. There is, as he told me once, more to pitching than just throwing the ball over the plate and daring the batter to hit it. 8)

You’re completely right Zita, but is it any wonder so many people have that view of velocity? From the very 1st organized kid pitch baseball experience on, coaches dote on the hard throwers. Why? Because the hard throwers will strike more kids out, thus not exposing the team to having to actually catch and throw a ball.

And at that low level, there’s not a lot of meaning to accuracy, and literally no meaning to horizontal movement. Why? Because the batters aren’t that sophisticated, and many will literally swing at just about anything, with a great many being not able to hit their weight. So, early on, velocity equates to successful coaching. So which kids are gonna likely be pitchers at the next level?

And that’s the way it generally goes. The result is, the pitchers with the most velocity get the most opportunities to pitch. I really believe the only thing that could break that cycle, is for more older and experienced coaches to get involved at the lower levels, but of course that’s not going to happen very often. :frowning:

velocity should be an after thought to any 10 or 11 year old KID! If your SON is interested in pitching good for him. Don’t put any emphais on how fast he throws. At this age he should only be worry about getting the ball over the plate AND whatever you do DO NOT TEACH HIM ANY BREAKING PITCHES.

putting any extra pressure on your son for increased speed or that he has to throw at xx mph is totaly unnessesary hat this age. Let him have fun at what he is doing first. When he’s 13 or 14 then start worrying how fast he is throwing.