Velocity Progression in HS

I am interested in Velocity Progression during HS, If anyone wants to share what there son’s progression was during there HS seasons I would like to see it.

Just work on strength and fitness. The fastball will get better or it won’t. Develop the pectorals, the deltoids, the trapezius. Worked leg press hard because it works both quads and the glutes. Both of which are muscle groups that you can’t be too strong. Back muscles in the ABS are very important. Overall Fitness it was important to. I would recommend cycling with a heart rate monitor. Find short inclines two or three hundred yards and Sprint them at max heart rate and Max leg burn. Do some throwing during the off-season. You can’t train all of the muscles involved in throwing with the weight room and machines. It’s a challenge in Northern climates but find a way to do a moderate amount of throwing.

I understand wanting to create a record overtime but that’s not near as important as the stuff above.

Thanks Carboncrank I appreciate your advice. He just begun training. Going to be a freshman this spring. I need to relax and let time pass. I just get anxious with his potential.

My son went from upper 60’s - low 70’s to low-mid 80’s over his 4 year HS career.

3-5 mph per year

I have no idea how hard my son was throwing in 9th grade… but is was NOT hard. He may have thrown a handful of innings at best in “mop up” situations. He primarily played short and third base on the JV team.

In 10th grade he played varsity and was the starting third baseman… mid way through the season the #1 starter got hurt and the #2 was having a bad year. I don’t know how many innings he had but he did really well… I told him the most important thing is to throw strikes and that was his only focus. I have no idea how hard he was throwing but I would say he was probably high 70’s.

The fall of 11th grade he went to an “academic” prospect camp and was 77-81. At that camp he commented to me he was going to work on his velocity… he started hitting the weight room and focusing on nutrition. In January of his 11th grade year he was 83-86. He hurt his back diving for a ground ball in a preseason game and only pitched 10 innings that spring.

That summer he played for a very good travel team and pitched very well but his velocity was only 82-85… I don’t think he lost a game all summer and beat a couple “national” travel teams… after the travel ball season was over we tweaked his mechanics a bit and he was again focusing on getting stronger and throwing harder.

The one game they had the gun on him in the fall of his 12th grade year he was 87-89. He had a decent spring with a few complete games and some really tough losses… when he didn’t pitch he would DH… he was first team all state as a DH… further proof pitchers really can hit…

Did he play college ball?

Did he go on to play in college?

Yes… he is in his freshman year.

That is fantastic I like hearing stories of kids who work hard and go ion to play in college.At the next level with the right coaching he would be able to make some nice velocity jumps. What division/league/state is your son playing in? My son not thrown a pitch for high school yet he will start his freshman season in February 2019. He was always a pretty good hitter but lately he has been concentrating more on pitching he sits in the 82- 84 range. Hopefully they will both be able to stay healthy and progress over the next four years. TTYS

He ended up going to a D3 school… he had two offers from D1’s, one offer from a D2 and two offers from D3’s… of course, the D3’s were for “academics”. Each of the D3 schools have been to the World Series in the last two years and have strong programs. He never got caught up in the whole “D1 vs D2 vs D3 thing”… he truly focused on which school was the best fit academically. I believe it worked out for the best because he will get innings as a freshman and is getting a top notch education… we had several talks about the probabilities of actually making a living playing baseball and he fully understands that it is very low no matter what the talent level…

Very good way to look at it…your son will succeed he has his head in the right place. Wishing he has a healthy successful season.

My son was at 59-60 mph going into his freshman year as a 5’7" 120 lb LHP . He did twenty eight sessions of velocity training in a driveline type program from september to February and by the start of his hs freshman season he was at 72mph.

At the end of that summers travel season (aug) he began a dedicated arm care/throwing program 3-4x/week along with physical fitness/conditioning 2x/week.

He drinks 2-3 protein shakes a day along with 3-4 balanced meals. He’s grown to 5’10" now and tipped the scales at 138.2 tonight.

He hit 76mph the other night.

Our goal is to get him to 155 lbs and 80 mph by the time hs baseball starts in march.

His coaches think he can do it. I’m optimistic. We shall see.

That’s great…so he is a sophomores this year? Let us know how he does. My son is a freshman this year. We stay away from all weighted balls light or heavy. IMO weighted balls cause too much stress on young arms and do more harm than good. We work legs and core a lot and the rest of the body 2-3 times a week.

Yeah, he’s a sophomore, but a really young one. Doesn’t turn 16 until late June. Has to play up this year though at 16u due to his 2021 graduating class.

He’s a late bloomer/developer. Should really still be a freshman playing 15u.

He trains Tuesday (pitching) and Wednesday (strength, speed, conditioning) with his team. But since Tuesday’s workout focuses a great deal on physical conditioning, he’s actually getting fitness work both days.

He trains Monday, Thursday and Saturday with a local velocity/arm care coach. They do a lot of the regular arm care work (bands, plyoballs, weighted socks, wiggle sticks, wrist weights) plus lifting (dead lifts, squats, lat pulls, etc.) and other related fitness work (core, joint stability, etc,…) They throw once a week.

Since my guy is slight of build, this schedule is really a godsend. I’m starting to see noticeable gains in strength and overall athleticism. That’s what he really needs to move into the upper tier of kids from a velocity perspective.

Don’t do any weighted ball throwing, yet.

My guy isn’t ready for that.