Velocity of college pitchers

whats the average velocity of pitchers of D1 D2 and D3 colleges

D1 Id say 87-88? D2 85-86? D3 83-84? I really have no idea, but I think those sound about right.

It’s too vague of a question and you’ll never get an answer that majority of people will be happy with because of how spread out College is, you have schools all of the Sates. Some people say the West cost has ‘X’ velocity average, others will say the Florida region has ‘Y’ velocity average.

Velocity alone doesn’t dictate where you as a Pitcher can play at the Collegiate level keep that in mind.

D1: 88-93
D2: 83-88
D3: 80-83

I’ll agree with wales and jacobs

I’m a lefty, but going into college I was only 80-83 but I commanded the ball, was 6’3, and had a feel for the game, and I was able to go d1 with that. So really there are too many variables to consider when placing an average velocity for their respective levels.

I don’t think D1 AVG is 88-93. MLB avg for a RHP is right around 90, and about 87-88 for a LHP. Since we’re talking about averages, 88-93 is quite high. I agree though that it’s a very vague and broad question.

My brother topped out low 80s probably sat high 70s-80, but had a filthy hook, nasty split, a great change, good movement on all his pitches, and could locate all of them. He was a very successful D2 pitcher and had the opportunity to play D1 when entering college. I also have another friend who threw 96, but was a terrible pitcher. Had no other pitches and no control what so ever, literally could not hit the strike zone for his life. He didn’t get to play in high school because he’d throw 16 pitches and the first run would be walking home and no one would be out. So he walked on at a D3 and did terrible there, had an ERA over 4. He did get drafted after that for the velocity but the moral of the story is that velocity alone is a tough determinant, there are too many other factors that come into play.

I also don’t think 88 - 90 something is the D1 average. If I had to make a guess I would say on average, D3 is probably somewhere in the 70s, D2 high 70s - low 80s, D1 mid 80s. There’s people who throw faster & slower in all of course but thats my guess towards what the average velocity would be in each division if you actually went to each school in the country, good and bad, and actually tried find the average velocities. Thats just an absolute guess though lol.

Many people put too much emphasis on vlo, the best pitcher on my SS team this year never topped above 83 but had the nastiest change that I have ever seen! I played in a pretty big baseball conference (MVC) with Top-25 teams like Wichita State and Evansville, and I would say the average fastball that we saw was about 85-86 MPH. All of the weekend starters were 88-91 (to 94) and the relievers were like mid to upper 80s

D3 75-95
D2 75-95
DI 75-95

theres some numbers

1 Like

[quote=“MaineBall”]D3 75-95
D2 75-95
DI 75-95

theres some numbers[/quote]

Yup

I talked to a DIII coach (a school which pretty consistently is in the top 25) and he said that his ace was hitting 90 and that most of his guys where in the upper 70s-mid 80’s range. I would guess DII would be low 80s-upper 80s and DI to be mid 80s to low 90s.

[quote=“palo20”][quote=“MaineBall”]D3 75-95
D2 75-95
DI 75-95

Yup[/quote]

Thats pretty much it all around, it depends on the location of the school, what the coach is looking for, if the kid knows how to pitch, etc. Coaches know when a kid knows how to pitch and they will give him a chance because as we all know a below average fastball can still get outs just look at Maddux and Moyer. College coaches know that too.

1 Like

Speaking strictly for DIII pitchers… average velocity is probably 79-83. Usually a few guys in every league that can pump it up to 85+

[quote=“UndersizedRHP”]D3 75-95
D2 75-95
DI 75-95

Well said, Howie Kendrick.
D3 76-93
D2 80-95
D3 82-98

i dont think it matters about division as much as it does conference. I would say the NJAC is one of the best d3 conferences in the country and some of the top pitchers can sit 87-92+.

Whoever is listing velocities in such a way that D1 is the highest, D2 is in the middle, and D3 is the lowest clearly knows nothing about this. D1 pitchers generally have the highest velocity, followed by D3, then D2. Conferences like ACC, SEC, and others of that caliber will have pitchers that sit 91-95. Some might only sit 85 but be left handed and have great command. Some may even be slower than that. Slightly less competitive D1 conferences may still have guys that sit 91-95, but it is less common. It’s generally more like 85-89. Again, some guys may be slower. Some guys may be 81-84, and again, this is more common with left handers. Some may even be in the upper 70s. Furthermore, D2 is less competitive than D3 in general. D2 pitchers are generally upper 70s to low or mid 80s, with the rare exception of high 80s to low 90s. D3 guys are more consistently low to mid 80s, with a fair number able to touch 90s. Competitive D3 divisions will sometimes have guys that sit 87 to 90. That is all.

?? I think that is a very sweeping generalization and would disagree. Have you seen the guys at Tampa, Lynn, S. Arkansas, etc, etc, etc,…

Why is D2 less competitive than D3? Honest question.

Velo is all over the map in college. I went to a JC game where I live and watched Dylan Baker pump it there at 93-95. I have been to D1 games where guys were sitting lows 80s. Two friends of my sons from his high school team are moving on to pitching in college this year. One at a JC and one at an NAIA school. The kid who is going to the JC had probably the best velocity on his high school team, throwing low to mid 80s from the mound, but, his control is all over the place. He could cruise for an inning or two the start sailing them to the backstop and bouncing them in. The kid going to the NAIA school was only throwing up to 72 from the mound but has good control and can mix pitches. Both are left handed. I guess my point is using velocity as a marker of progress is fine but just because you start hitting a certain number (unless it is elite) dont expect to start hearing from coaches. Most guys that go on to play college ball have to seek out a place they fit. As a side note, the kid that was throwing 70-72 as a senior was at about 76-78 as a junior. He wanted to be low 80s as a senior and worked hard during the offseason. He did tons of cardio workouts and a lot of long distance jogging…the result? He lost about 25 lbs and (he didnt realize he was doing this) trained his body to move slowly and ended up with the opposite result. So, if you going to workout make sure your working on the right things.

All this plays right into what I’ve said all along—that too much emphasis is placed on velocity and not nearly enough on control and command of one’s stuff. You have pitchers who can throw 95 and higher—but they have no idea where the strike zone is, they just can’t find the plate, while on the other hand you have the guys who can hardly hit 85 MPH but who can make the batters look very silly. And then there was a guy named Allie Reynolds. One day, when he was in college, the baseball coach asked him to throw some batting practice to the team. You know batting practice—moderate-speed stuff over the plate so the batters could practice their hitting. Well, Reynolds took the mound—and proceeded to throw serious high cheese! The batters couldn’t even get a loud foul off him. The coach saw this and yelled at Reynolds, "Go get a uniform! You’re on the team!"
Reynolds was clocked at better than 100 miles an hour—one of the fastest pitchers in the American League. Not to mention all the other stuff he had. Now, not everyone can throw at that speed, and it is imperative to have some other good stuff at one’s disposal. Not to mention control and command. :slight_smile: 8)