Velocity Lost Without Hip/Shoulder Separation

Hi Everybody,

Had a question about pitching velocity and how it relates to using your hips. I understand hip/shoulder separation is important for efficiency and velocity. I was curious if anybody had an idea of how much velocity would be lost without using hip/shoulder separation?

Reason why I am curious is I realized I was throwing a bullpen this past Saturday with my hips locked, basically my back leg was stiff and straight while I was leading with my hips to the target. I didn’t get any drive from by back knee nor did I get any separation. I noticed my fastball was flatter, curve didn’t break sharp and change-up wasn’t droppin’ off the table as it usually does.

The week before I was throwing with good separation and had the best bullpen of my life. The ball was jumping, my off speed pitches were sic and I didn’t even feel my arm tense up or feel like it was doing anything, it was awesome.

It was all new to me and I guess my old habits got back to me again this past Saturday. I realized the mistakes now and I’m drilling into my head on how to start out in a more athletic stance instead of being stiff legged.

There was a radar gun this past Saturday and I was hittin 77-78 mph but then realizing I didn’t have any hip/shoulder separation, how much more could I have thrown, I was thinking maybe 5 mph or maybe even up to 10 but that would seem too optimistic for me I think :wink:

Any thoughts and responses would be greatly appreciated!!

Tony

[quote=“tonyjh34”]Hi Everybody,

Had a question about pitching velocity and how it relates to using your hips. I understand hip/shoulder separation is important for efficiency and velocity. I was curious if anybody had an idea of how much velocity would be lost without using hip/shoulder separation?

Reason why I am curious is I realized I was throwing a bullpen this past Saturday with my hips locked, basically my back leg was stiff and straight while I was leading with my hips to the target. I didn’t get any drive from by back knee nor did I get any separation. I noticed my fastball was flatter, curve didn’t break sharp and change-up wasn’t droppin’ off the table as it usually does.

The week before I was throwing with good separation and had the best bullpen of my life. The ball was jumping, my off speed pitches were sic and I didn’t even feel my arm tense up or feel like it was doing anything, it was awesome.

It was all new to me and I guess my old habits got back to me again this past Saturday. I realized the mistakes now and I’m drilling into my head on how to start out in a more athletic stance instead of being stiff legged.

There was a radar gun this past Saturday and I was hittin 77-78 mph but then realizing I didn’t have any hip/shoulder separation, how much more could I have thrown, I was thinking maybe 5 mph or maybe even up to 10 but that would seem too optimistic for me I think :wink:

Any thoughts and responses would be greatly appreciated!!

Tony[/quote]Proper separation, in my thoughts, probably accounts for 5-10% of total power. So you could be looking 3-7 mph, or that is at least my best estimate. Don’t focus on what your velocity was though, focus on proper mechanics. The rest will work itself out.