Velocity-How to Gain It?

Im 15 throwin 75 as a sophmore, i turn 16 july 2011, is there a chance ill be able to throw 85 when i graduate? what can i do to get there?

There is nothing that says you won’t, I think everyone would start with your weekly workout routine. What sort of cardio do you do and additional strengthening exercises are you involved with?

right now, not very much, im going to a pitching/hitting clinic righ now and he pretty much said he sees me being a good pitcher but im too weak(muscularly), hes giving me workouts to do and until then im gonna do push ups, sit ups, and squats for the legs.

im a sinkerbaler so i only need 84-86 outta highschool, maybe a mile or two more in college, but i need to know how to gain that velocity so anything you can tell me is great.

What kind of throwing program are you on?

Here is a story of someone gaining several MPH after college by Cressey.

http://ericcressey.com/weighted-baseballs-safe-and-effective-or-stupid-and-dangerous

I STRONGLY recommend that you google “throwers 10” and do those exercises every other day 3 sets of 10. Start with 2lb weights and every two weeks go up one pound till you reach 5lbs and then just do them regularly with 5lbs after that (obviously the exercises that require hand weights). This will strengthen your shoulder and the smaller muscles in your shoulder /arm (if you used heavier then 5lb weights the larger muscles would take over and you wouldn’t work out the smaller muscles used in deceleration of the arm). This will not only help protect you from injury but should allow you to pick up some velocity to boot.

Son blew up his UCL due to a weak weak shoulder and these are the exercises used to strengthen the shoulder before TJ surgery. Had he done these prior to his injury he very likely wouldn’t have blown out his elbow at 15! So seriously…look them up and do them!!

[quote=“Slewbacca”]Here is a story of someone gaining several MPH after college by Cressey.

http://ericcressey.com/weighted-baseballs-safe-and-effective-or-stupid-and-dangerous[/quote]

If you read this, understand that weighted balls MAY be a PART of the entire puzzle. The “no magic bullet” theory still applies here.

What does the entire puzzle include? Look at the 2 of the main forum categories here at Let’s Talk Pitching

1. Mechanics
  2. Workouts and Nutrition

I’d split Workouts and Nutrition into 2 separate entities, and then add the mental part of baseball. That gives you:

1. Mechanics
  2. Workouts/Training
  3. Nutrition
  4. Mental Game

You must continue to get better at these 4 areas, and if properly conditioned, weighted balls may help contribute to the entire puzzle.

Sorry

I meant to post this article on Shawn Haviland. As Palo20 points out, there are many components to gaining velocity. Conditioning is a large part as is mechanics. My son and I were looking at video of him pitching this past spring and his mechanics then made our eyes bleed. He has made major changes in his mechanics along with getting stronger AND more flexible.

http://ericcressey.com/newsletter158html

pitcherman95, you say that your hitting instructor says you are weak, muscularly, then I would take that to heart and consider at 15 going on 16 you need a routine that works on your strength every day, some needs to be pumping iron, some needs to be cardio, running, sprinting and some needs to be throwing, it’s only going to be a combination of everything that gets you where you want to be. Even though you only want to throw 84-86 in the next 3 years its an addition of 3-4 mph each year, that won’t be easy.

im going to try and get a video up soon so i can get more help.

[quote=“palo20”]If you read this, understand that weighted balls MAY be a PART of the entire puzzle. The “no magic bullet” theory still applies here.

What does the entire puzzle include? Look at the 2 of the main forum categories here at Let’s Talk Pitching

1. Mechanics

I’d split Workouts and Nutrition into 2 separate entities, and then add the mental part of baseball. That gives you:

1. Mechanics
  2. Workouts/Training
  3. Nutrition
  4. Mental Game

You must continue to get better at these 4 areas, and if properly conditioned, weighted balls may help contribute to the entire puzzle.[/quote]

palo,

I’ve seen you make several really good posts, but that one has to be one of the simplest and at the same time most inciteful I’ve ever seen in many years of posting in forums such as this!

I bow to a master.

SK :bowdown:

[quote=“scorekeeper”][quote=“palo20”]If you read this, understand that weighted balls MAY be a PART of the entire puzzle. The “no magic bullet” theory still applies here.

1. Mechanics

1. Mechanics
  2. Workouts/Training
  3. Nutrition
  4. Mental Game

You must continue to get better at these 4 areas, and if properly conditioned, weighted balls may help contribute to the entire puzzle.[/quote]

palo,

I’ve seen you make several really good posts, but that one has to be one of the simplest and at the same time most inciteful I’ve ever seen in many years of posting in forums such as this!

I bow to a master.

SK :bowdown:[/quote]

Why thank you sir.