Velocity for a 14 year old pitcher

My son just turned 14 last month and is 5’10" and 170 pounds. He has been clocked with his fastball at 70 mph and his change is around 60 mph, with the same arm motion as his fastball.

My questions is this: Is 70MPH average, below/above average for a 14 year old? He will be a freshman in highscholl next year and I was wondering if he needs to increase his velocity to make the team?

Don’t worry about his velocity. He is where he needs to be, and don’t forget, he probably hasn’t yet reached his full growth. He’s doing all right with a fastball and a change; just let him focus on his mechanics and his command, and let him have fun doing it. The next year or so will be time enough for him to think about increasing his speed.

For what it’s worth, I once came across a “Rule of Thumb” for gauging high-velocity-for-age (up to 18 years of age).

I don’t know if it has merit, but it seems to come close.

Here it is: Age x 5 mph = High Velocity for that Age.

Your son is 14, so 14 x 5 mph = 70 mph.

Based on this “Rule of Thumb”, your son’s 70 mph would be considered high velocity for a 14 year old.

For an 18 year old, high velocity would be 90 mph (18 x 5 mph).

Again, I don’t know how much merit this “rule” has, but it appears to at least approximate good velocity for a given age group.

I think that 70 mph for a 14 year old is pretty good. The only thing that concerns me is that he is already 5’10’’ 170lbs. Thats a pretty mature stature, but he will almost certainly keep growing. My question and trust me this is legitimate can he grow any sort of facial hair? (even peach fuzz) Thats usually a good determent of how far somebody is in puberty. I, for example, can grow it pretty uniformly on my face so I would assume that I’m likely going to not grow another foot. Maybe 1 to 2 inches or so.

If your kid wants to make the team it depends. Is it a big city where he attends school? How many kids generally try out?

I would think that a coach would take a freshman with a 70 mph fastball, especially if he has solid offspeed.

I know people who have gone from 60 mph freshman year to now throw low 80s. I also know a guy who threw 78 his freshman year and now throws 81. It really depends on physical maturity.

thats pretty high velocity for that age. not a lot that can brin the heat like that

My son is 13 and 8 months old going to 8th grade. He is 5’11 140lbs and hit 79 this summer. If this gauging system is even close, he stays healthy and works hard he will be at 95 plus as a HS senior.

It’s been two years - what is your son doing now? Does he throw in the 90s?

1 Like

Only problem is that gaining velocity is not linear. It can take 4 weeks to go from 75 to 80, but it will most likely take much longer, sometimes even years to go from 87 to 90.

19 months have passed since I posted on this topic. My son is now 15 and 5 months going into 10th grade. He is 6’1 170 lbs and hit 90 this summer and lives at 86-88.

1 Like

What kind of throwing / lifting program is he on?

This would be a perfect week for him, with tournaments and showcases it does not always work out the way we want it. Pitch counts are watched carefully and we do not use heavy ball programs at all. We prefer olympic style weight lifting. He is always doing something and has no days off.
Day 1 Pitch
Day 2: Run & Olympic Lift
Day 3: Flat Ground Throw & Lift
Day 4: Long Toss
Day5: Bullpen
Day 6: Long Toss
Day: 7 Pitch

Looks pretty solid, I would say that rest days are important though and it might be beneficial if he incorporated maybe 1 off day every 2 weeks.

I agree he does gets at least a couple days a month off. We pick our spots.