Velocity difference

hi everyone, im a 15 year old 5’6 140 pound pitcher, and the other day just for fun i threw a couple to a radar gun at the Rogers Center in Toronto, now this was off of flat ground, i wasn’t wearing spikes, and i had not done any previous warming up, out of the 3 or 4 pitches i threw i topped out at 73 MPH, im just wondering rouighly how much faster than that i would have thrown if i wouldve A) thrown off a mound, B) been wearing spikes and C) had previously warmed up

Thanks everyone

Who knows. Didn’t the guy on the movie “The Rookie” throw 99mph cold? A good pair of shoes will help you out more than a pair of sneakers. Getting that traction, a solid grip with the ground is a must for any pitcher. You don’t want to be skating out that, I say. Also, warming up helps a ton. You need to be loose to have your body do what it needs to inorder to generate a high velocity. That, and you don’t want to injure yourself either. I’ve heard that throwing off a mound helps increase velocity as well. Basically, because of the leverage one gets while on the mound.

As far as how much, Idunno 2-3, 5-7, 8-9 mph. It’s different for everyone, honestly.

Bucky,

I think you could expect to throw the ball about 3 to 5 mph faster. If you have never done much pitching, a pitching coach could probably help develop your pitching motion resulting in you possibly throwing in the low 80s. As you are only 15, it is also possible that your velocity could increase to the mid-80s by the time you are a senior. Everyone develops differently so this is a hard question to answer. However, almost all high school players can improve their pitching speed somewhat by a solid weight training program designed for pitchers.

Hope this helps,
Jack Elliott

http://www.baseballtrainingtechniques.com/Baseball-Pitching/

thanks a bunch jack, ill definitely be checking that out