Velocity Development Program @ Driveline Baseball

I’ve been pretty busy over the last few weeks/months with the facility, which has been going well! Lots of people have asked how it’s going and what we do there, so instead of writing a few hundred (thousand?) words on the topic that no one will read, I decided to take a bunch of video and demonstrate what we do with our pitchers.

I’m writing a series of blog posts detailing our Velocity Development Program that our pitchers go through if they’re in our Semi-Private Training groups (which is filling fast and is a pretty good deal if you ask me :)), and I’m publishing the first one tomorrow morning.

The first post details the Throwing portion of our training program - not pitching, but throwing. Weighted baseballs, medicine balls, wrist weight work, and so forth.

By the time most of you read this, the post will be live. It should be going up around 7:30 AM on Friday morning.

There’s a bunch of videos on that blog post, but if you want more, you can find them at our YouTube channel here:

But to give you a bit of a preview, I’ve embedded a video of yours truly throwing underweight (3 oz) baseballs at max intensity. If the intent to throw hard is what’s important, there aren’t a lot of guys at my facility that beat me at that :slight_smile: I’ll let my grunts be the judge of all that.

and if you’re interested in training hard to add 5-7 MPH on your fastball,

ARE YOU KIDDING ME… you are going to add 5-7mph on some kids fastball by going to a training session with you LMFAO…

Dude it takes probaly a good year of proper nutrition, sleep, training sessions, and weight lifting for most kids to even gain 3mph on their fastball let alone 5-7mph.

But you guarantee this in one training session. Wow. Bull crap

You do realize majority of pro coaches disagree with weighted baseball training because it screws up pitchers arms you know that right.

No, I don’t. And if you read the article (or my blog), you’d know that.

I’ll not be responding to you, as it is plainly obvious that you are just a troll and need to be removed from the site.

not a troll. Just went to bodybuilding.com and have learned more on that site and gained much more muscle than i would listening to you, lankth lefty, and other guys who think they know their stuff.

It says add 5-7mph on your fastball. how can you say this. It takes over a year to gain that kind of mph on your fastball. You aren’t going to do that by working out even for a month at your facility

And weighted balls omg. You are just asking to screw up pitchers arms.

Just to make sure everyone knows that fireball999 hasn’t done any research on weighted balls and is just parroting general nonsense, I highly recommend everyone check out the following publications:

[quote]Coop DeRenne, Barton P. Buxton, Ronald K. Hetzler and Kwok W. Ho. 1994: Effects of Under- and Overweighted Implement Training on Pitching Velocity. The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research: Vol. 8, No. 4, pp. 247–250.

Coop DeRenne, Kwok Ho and Alan Blitzblau. 1990: Effects of Weighted Implement Training on Throwing Velocity. The Journal of Applied Sport Science Research, 4, 16-19.

DeRenne, C., Tracy, R., and Dunn-Rankin, P. 1985: Increasing Throwing velocity. Athletic Journal, April, 36 - 39.[/quote]

There are many others, but this is a good start. Weighted ball throwing can indeed “screw up pitchers arms” if applied improperly, but fortunately for those who are interested in doing actual research, people have published quite a bit of information on this subject.

bodybuilding.com has its fair share of informative and smart posters. Alan Aragon is one of them; a man I quote quite frequently with regard to nutritional advice. Mark Rippetoe is another person held in high regard there; I have read all of his books. EliteFTS is an organization praised by most people there - I own many of their training aids and have read many of their publications.

Again, I am not interested in having a dialogue with you, fireball999. You’re immature and haven’t done much research besides browse a forum and make inconclusive statements about my work.

To be honest, 3 mph is something that at the middle/high school level, you can almost promise in one session. Why? Because most kids don’t understand the fundamentals, and they don’t use their bodies to pitch, they try and use their arms!

Pitchers at a younger level don’t stride far enough, don’t have a high leg lift, etc. I know a guy back in Colorado that teaches arm health, not velocity. Let it be told that he consistently shows pitchers how to throw harder by fixing their mechanics to supplement their arms. They then throw with their whole body and put on around 3 mph.

Not to mention the fact that most people do not have the physical strength to threw well off of a mound, and strength training when used properly will greatly increase your velocity!

There are some good ideas here.

Quite true.

I just saw that you’re from Colorado. You wouldn’t be talking about Bill Peterson, would you?

You should get in touch with him if you can. He’s a great guy, a close friend, and someone who has done a lot of research on pitching and coaching pitchers.

[quote=“kyleb”]Quite true.

I just saw that you’re from Colorado. You wouldn’t be talking about Bill Peterson, would you?

You should get in touch with him if you can. He’s a great guy, a close friend, and someone who has done a lot of research on pitching and coaching pitchers.[/quote]
No, his name is Jan Sumner.

What part of Colorado is Bill from?

Colorado Springs, I think. He said in an email to me that he was 40 minutes outside of Denver.

That could be a multitude of places. Find out for me sometime and I will see if I can get out to see him over the summer. I’m always looking for a new pitching perspective.

lol 3mph in one session you guys are so stupid.

Not being rude or anything(well kind of)

But ya how many MLB pitcheres use weighted balls for their routines. Does the majority use weighted balls. F no. You know why because they don’t work. Major league coaches don’t use them because it screws up pitchers arms. You can say whatever you want, you are know where near as qualified as an MLB coach, player, or training staff. So ya i don’t care how many books you read.

Oh ya lets go to Kyle B training session and in 1 session we will gain 7mph. Damn thats sweet. So my 88mph fastball will go to 95mph. Thats awesome. Strasberg should go to you his fastball would go from 103-110.

REsearch or no research, the pros have obviously made it to the show, because they no what to do. And most of them do not use weighted balls.

period

Look buddy, you’ve been warned.
We don’t need your mouth, we don’t need your attitude…we certainly haven’t seen intelligent posting…shut up with the cussing and derisive belligerance.
If you have knowledge post it.
Do you know all pro pitchers?
How many D-1 programs use weighted balls?
If a guy has attained and maintains MLB velocity why would he need to increase?

You apparently have on read a web site and think you are smarter than the room…well let us hear all about your success, what team are you on, give us some links to the newspaper reports of your greatness…we’ve actually seen the TV reports congratulating Lanky on his dominating victory in his state championship game…if you got so much going on lets see it…while you are at it how about being brave enough to show us the video if that blazing 88 mph fb…we’ve all seen and watched both of the men you are dogging and buddy you have a long way to go before you can even hold their jock…so contribute or don’t but next smart crap out of you and you’ll be posting elsewhere. Watch me back that up :evil:

Mariano Rivera uses a weighted ball in his bullpens before going into a game. Is he a good pitcher? I don’t follow MLB much, and I’ve heard his name once or twice… :wink:

Look buddy, you’ve been warned.
We don’t need your mouth, we don’t need your attitude…we certainly haven’t seen intelligent posting…shut up with the cussing and derisive belligerance.
If you have knowledge post it.
Do you know all pro pitchers?
How many D-1 programs use weighted balls?
If a guy has attained and maintains MLB velocity why would he need to increase?

You apparently have on read a web site and think you are smarter than the room…well let us hear all about your success, what team are you on, give us some links to the newspaper reports of your greatness…we’ve actually seen the TV reports congratulating Lanky on his dominating victory in his state championship game…if you got so much going on lets see it…while you are at it how about being brave enough to show us the video if that blazing 88 mph fb…we’ve all seen and watched both of the men you are dogging and buddy you have a long way to go before you can even hold their jock…so contribute or don’t but next smart crap out of you and you’ll be posting elsewhere. Watch me back that up :evil:[/quote]
Thanks JD, well said.

Kyle,
My son went from 69MPH in May to 84 MPH in December using a similar program as you have outlined.

He deadlifts 3 sets of 3 at 80-90% his 1 rep max (PAvel’s Power to the People)and has seen his deadlift go from 250 to 385.

He also does medicine ball throws 4 pounds (50 throws each side) 3 times a week. He long tosses 5-6 days a week.

We are just starting to add in underload and overload throws as discribed by Derenne. He has played around with wrist weights but has not done much with that.

He tops it out with dynamic stretching from Cressey’s Magnificant Mobility, horizonal rows, pullups, pushups, band work and hip thrust with 300 lbs a al Bret Contrares.

These systems work. To quote Wolforth, “When people say you can’t train velocity, they really mean that they can’t train velocity.”

House and the NPA also have a velocity program that includes weighted balls. Of course, they make sure all the other pieces (nutrition, foundation fitness, functional strength, etc) are in place first before allowing a pitcher to start the velocity program.

[quote=“Slewbacca”]Kyle,
My son went from 69MPH in May to 84 MPH in December using a similar program as you have outlined.

He deadlifts 3 sets of 3 at 80-90% his 1 rep max (PAvel’s Power to the People)and has seen his deadlift go from 250 to 385.

He also does medicine ball throws 4 pounds (50 throws each side) 3 times a week. He long tosses 5-6 days a week.

We are just starting to add in underload and overload throws as discribed by Derenne. He has played around with wrist weights but has not done much with that.

He tops it out with dynamic stretching from Cressey’s Magnificant Mobility, horizonal rows, pullups, pushups, band work and hip thrust with 300 lbs a al Bret Contrares.

These systems work. To quote Wolforth, “When people say you can’t train velocity, they really mean that they can’t train velocity.”[/quote]

Happy to hear it! Your son’s training sounds a lot like our Velocity Development Program. Maybe one of us has a clue :wink:

Our medicine ball training for youth athletes is around 4 pounds for rotational work and 6.6 lbs (3 kg) for overhead slams. The older athletes use 3 kg / 10 lbs, respectively.

Roger,

Indeed. We don’t put guys on under/overload training until they’ve been screened and are ready for it.

[quote=“fireball999”]lol 3mph in one session you guys are so stupid.

Not being rude or anything(well kind of)

But ya how many MLB pitcheres use weighted balls for their routines. Does the majority use weighted balls. F no. You know why because they don’t work. Major league coaches don’t use them because it screws up pitchers arms. You can say whatever you want, you are know where near as qualified as an MLB coach, player, or training staff. So ya i don’t care how many books you read.

Oh ya lets go to Kyle B training session and in 1 session we will gain 7mph. Damn thats sweet. So my 88mph fastball will go to 95mph. Thats awesome. Strasberg should go to you his fastball would go from 103-110.

REsearch or no research, the pros have obviously made it to the show, because they no what to do. And most of them do not use weighted balls.

period[/quote]

A few things

1. Your grammer needs work.

2. Unless you are somehow involved in a major league organization you can’t judge whether or not they use weighted balls. Rivera has stated that he uses weighted balls to warm up.

3. You need evidence to back up your claims. You can’t just come on here and rant when you don’t have evidence to back you up. Kyle, Lanky, and numerous other poster,s who you have insulted, back up their evidence.

Now back to the topic of weighted balls. From personal experience, weighted balls have helped me by cleaning up my arm action. I have a tendency to get my arm up a tad too early and the weighted balls help me throw more efficiently. Again, just what I have found. I have not done a unload/overload program but will likely attempt next offseason.

Btw, I believe that congratulations are order for Kyle.

As Dan John say “It is simple but not easy.”

please don’t kick me off the forum. I don’t mean to be rude at all. Its easy to get my point across though.

Anyways other than mariano rivera(WHO IS A CLOSER)… He pitches maybe 1 inning every other day at the most. I am not bashing him, he is a great and probaly a hall of famer, but please list me at least 10 good starters in the MLB that use weighted balls.

Cause lets face it, people are not going to get drafted purely because they can throw 1 inning.

Also how many high school kids can throw 90mph +. Well i know at least 3 kids at the age of 15 at my old school that threw 92mph. There are a ton, a ton of pitchers in the college levels that can throw 90mph plus. A ton, and you know what how many of them get to make it to the majors.

Velocity isn’t everything. Arm health is much more important. Sure you are preaching velocity, but did ever talk about pitching mechanics, arm health, or even pitching control. You can’t train velocity, you either have it or you don’t, period.

So ya not trying to be rude, just telling you that arm health, is much more important than trying to use weighted balls to make a cheap buck, and then in turn causing someone to hurt their arm.

Are you a certified pitching coach, please tell me your stats.

Where have you ever coached(in the majors, semi-pro level)

Just want to know not trying to be rude
thx