Velocity and movement

I was wondering how I can gain velocity. I am in 8th grade, 5’7"-5’8", 120. I think I saw a post somwhere saying if you throw everyday you will gain velocity because it is like lifting, you said it makes microscopic tears in the muscles for throwing the ball? I try to have a catch everyday, but when I don’t have an outdoor catch I go down my basement, get on my knees and just throw against this old cushion. Does this still make the little tears in the muscles? Right now I have a strained hip flexor, but after that I will be getting back to my regular lifting routine and we are starting to lift for the football season.

Also I have a very flat fastball, I think I posted something like this before. I try to put a lot of pressure on the index and then I try to put pressure on the middle finger. When putting pressure on the fingers, should I be holding the pressure through the release? Is there any other way? Thanks.

IF you really want to increase Mph you need to learn correct mechanics and how to create leverage and throw with full body. Then you need to learn how to workout correct and stretch like a gymnast as much as you can because flexibility is more important then strength of the muscle.

We would need to see a video of your mechanics to be able to help you correct them.

[quote=“andrewlandolfi”]I was wondering how I can gain velocity. I am in 8th grade, 5’7"-5’8", 120. I think I saw a post somwhere saying if you throw everyday you will gain velocity because it is like lifting, you said it makes microscopic tears in the muscles for throwing the ball? I try to have a catch everyday, but when I don’t have an outdoor catch I go down my basement, get on my knees and just throw against this old cushion. Does this still make the little tears in the muscles? Right now I have a strained hip flexor, but after that I will be getting back to my regular lifting routine and we are starting to lift for the football season.

Also I have a very flat fastball, I think I posted something like this before. I try to put a lot of pressure on the index and then I try to put pressure on the middle finger. When putting pressure on the fingers, should I be holding the pressure through the release? Is there any other way? Thanks.[/quote]

As far as movement goes you are not going to get much done placing pressure on a finger. This would be akin to throwing a curveball with finger pressure only. The mental approach should be that once your arm starts to launch (start of shoulder rotation), your pitch is set, whether that be your fastball, pronation from a sinker through a screwball or suppination from a cutter through a 12-6 curveball. Once the arm has started to launch, trying to suppinate/pronate or place finger pressure is too late to get much done not to mention potential injurous.

I would also like to add something never grip the ball tight. Have a loose grip and loose arm all the way through the wind-up. THat will help mph and keep strain off the arm.

i agree but pitches like the change up need a tighter grip

The change-up should not be tighter and if you have a looser grip you will take more speed off the ball because out of the hand you don’t put hard pressure on the ball.

Loose arm and a loose grip

oh? embarressed