Varsity ball

I’m just wondering, what does (D1) varsity ball look for in a pitcher? My team lost its 3 inning eating starters and need pitching. I’m hoping to be one who helps fill that gap.

There’s only one player who played varsity as a sophomore, he’s a senior now, and has been the best player in the state for 3 consecutive years - so my school isn’t big on underclass men there, so i really will need to blow away my coach to show I’m ready.

As of now, it looks like my pitch Arsenal will be sinker, breaking ball (I slurve slider variations, and I can throw a curve), a change up, and I guess I’ll include the natural cutter I can throw.

What do I need in terms of velo? My best guess is a sinker 81-83?
Movement?
Control?

While I know there is no true cookie cutter answer, what is it typically?

Im not sure what you mean when your asking for (d1) varsity ball. Do you mean what will you have to do in highschool to get on a D1 college team or are you asking what will you have to do to play varsity ball at your highschool.

Ill try to answer both
for making varsity at your school, your velocity sounds descent (definitely enough to make the team but your not gonna blow anyone away). From a pitching standpoint I would really focus on command and developing your change-up. If you throw your sinker as your main fastball I would recommend working on a 2 seam change up so it has similar rotation and movement to your sinker so make it more deceptive. On an aside our team leader in ERA on my Juco team threw mid to high 70’s but his change up was impossible to distinguish from fb.

Your biggest component moving forward though especially if you want to play varsity ball is getting bigger, stronger, faster. essentially as athletic as possible and get your velocity up. Most D1 schools are looking for guys that are atleast high 80’s. I don’t know what your already doing but I would recommend you start a lifting program really focusing on leg lifting (front squat, back squat, deadlift) and do some speed training (i have had good success doing a plyometric vertical jump program. Like you said there is no cookie cutter answer but the biggest things moving forward are from a pitching perspective demonstrate you can throw strikes and change speeds then try and develop as much as possible athletically,

Thanks. My state divides high school teams into D1, D2, and D3 with D1 being the best, obviously. The decider of what division you’ll be in depends on how the team fairs the year before, and if the team gained/lost lots of players.

Agree with what @Trebeck said. I play I’m the second highest class in my state which is divided into 8 classes I think based on school size. I sat high 70’s running it into the 80’s and threw the heck out of the change up. I threw the fastball change up mix well enough to make plenty of hitters, including some big time program D1 commits, look silly. In high school ball you don’t need a wipeout breaking ball, it doesn’t even need to be good for that matter, if you can keep the hitter off balance. My advice is to hit the weights and put on some muscle and throw long toss and develop the change up. Good luck!

Could you show how you threw your change up? Curious to see it

good advice. I’d also look to go with your best 3 pitches and save those other pitches if you need them the 3rd time around the batting order.

I turn the ball so that the seems look like a C when I look at it then circle it. I’ll try to get you a picture at a better time for me. It’s all about preference mess with it and most importantly throw it!