Varsity and 80mph

Here are my goals for this offseason and next season.
-Make my school’s varsity team.
-Significantly improve on my numbers in the weight room.
-Reach 80mph on the gun.
-And last, but possibly most important, Make first honors every marking period at my high school.

In the past few months, i havent been updating my other log. Im trying to use this new log as a turning point in my baseball career, and with my 2008 baseball season officially over I’ve decided that there is no better time to start a new log. Overall my season was pretty good. I was easily the ace of my school’s junior high team. we hadn’t won a game in 5 years and i was setting out to change that. My coach saw me as a leader and named me captain. We ended up winning 6 games, which i was happy with. Now that i think about it, we should have been undefeated. Our losses were never because the team was better than us, but because of silly errors and mental mistakes. On an ok day we beat the division leaders 15-2, mercy ruled in 5 innings. I also had alot of time to develop my curveball, which turned into my go to pitch. i learned to throw it no matter what the count was. During the school season i saw about 40 innings, had 30 some k’s and 3 walks. at the dish i was amazing. i only had 2 strikeouts all season, and i had an extra base hit every game. about 14 doubles and 3 triples. missed a few homers by only a few feet. that season went pretty well. In summerball i was our team’s #2 guy. the teams we played there were alot better than the teams we played in school. all season i only saw 12.2 innings and had 15K’s.
Some personal achievements i can remember are:
-Averaged more than a strikeout per inning.
-Struck out a #1 seeded high school’s varsity player.
-Didnt allow any home runs.
-had a 2.14 ERA.

Im looking at this offseason to be my best so far. This winter i will be hitting the weight room hard. Also throwing alot of bullpens and video taping my mechs. To reach 80mph i will have to do all of these things. I will have 3 juniors as my workout partners, 1 of which was on my summer ball team, the others i know from just being around the baseball program at my school. 2 of them are the best pitchers on the varsity team, while the other is the starting 1st baseman. This offseason, Im looking forward to reaching new heights in my pitching career.

I believe I have found a good flexibility routine, ill perform this twice a day.

http://magazine.stack.com/TheIssue/Article/1840/flexibility_routine_with_the_florida_marlins.aspx

After reading centerfield’s progress with Charles Poliquin’s “The Super-Accumulation Program”, I have decided to try a core program utilizing his ideas in the article, mainly to see if its worth doing during the school year when i finally can get some time in the weight room. My workout routine consists of this:

Weighted sit ups with 30lb dumbell: 2 sets of 25, 1 set to failure.
Weighted Planks with 15lbs dumbell. 2 sets of 1.5 minutes, 1 set to failure
Air Bike: 2 sets of 1.5 minutes, 1 set to failure (losing total will to keep my legs the air.).
Push ups with resistance band: 2 sets of 25, 1 set to failure.
Dumbell Side bend with 30lb dumbell: 20 reps right side, 20 on left.
Weighted leg lifts with 5lb dumbell: 2 sets of 45 seconds, 1 set to failure.
Supermans: 3 sets to failure.
Stiff leg dumbell deadlift on box: 4 sets of 5
Woodchoppers with medicine ball: 3 sets of 10

This is my first real time setting up a workout. I would greatly appreciate any contradictions and tips to help me with this.

last night i felt extremely tired, probably a combination of the workout and me not meeting some nutritional needs, as it was the 4th and all. tiredness didnt hit me until my 3rd set of the pushups, where i could only go to 12 before my core just gave out. felt extremely quesy after that and took a break for about a half and hour. finished with no problems and slept decently.

was at walmart today, saw some creatine for 8 bucks and couldnt resist. hopefully its not some garbage like everything else i end up with. :smiley:

Workout went fine last night, still a little sore but thats expected. had a caffienated beverage before and had the extra energy to go a little farther on some of the reps.

my workout was so easy last night, didnt have a problem with anything. im gonna add deadlifts to it, 5 sets of 3. should be good.

lets just say that workout program was a failure. for the past 4 or 5 days i have had a really bad stomach virus type sickness. i didnt even get up for 3 days, and lost about 5 lbs. today is the first day i have had a real meal and i would say there is no way i could continue with the program and expect results. ill still keep doing it just on a more convenient schedule, 3 days a week.

had a summer bball practice tonight. getting in the weight room through basketball on thursdays and fridays and possibly monday or tuesday. my school actually has a weightlifting coach who understands everything about it too.

had a good workout today. here it is.

snatches- 9, 7, 5, 3 increasing weight each time.
power cleans- same style. keep increasing weight.
decline situps with 25lb plate- 3x20
lunges with 2 50lb dumbbells- 3 sets of 5 forward, and 5 back.
leg press- same style as the snatches and cleans.
calf raises- same style, first set was 150, 2nd 160, 3rd 180, last 200.
lat pulldowns- same style.

that was the workout the lifting coach had set up for us, but after that we did our own thing. now heres what i went intending to do:

incline bench press- 1x5
incline db bench- 3x8
bent over db row- 4x15
cable scarecrows- 3x12
barbell russian twists- 4x15

[quote=“yanksneeddice-K”]had a good workout today. here it is.

snatches- 9, 7, 5, 3 increasing weight each time.
power cleans- same style. keep increasing weight.
decline situps with 25lb plate- 3x20
lunges with 2 50lb dumbbells- 3 sets of 5 forward, and 5 back.
leg press- same style as the snatches and cleans.
calf raises- same style, first set was 150, 2nd 160, 3rd 180, last 200.
lat pulldowns- same style.

that was the workout the lifting coach had set up for us, but after that we did our own thing. now heres what i went intending to do:

incline bench press- 1x5
incline db bench- 3x8
bent over db row- 4x15
cable scarecrows- 3x12
barbell russian twists- 4x15[/quote]
Wow, at 14 doing the right type of lifting with the right idea is amazing, You are well on your way to being a great pitcher, especially with that kind of work effort. You could maybe add more substance to it but it’s definetaly a start.
But why one set of 5?

I agree you have some great stuff going. I love the olympic lifts and they’re what consum most of my time in the weight room. Do you ever do a dumbell snatch? Its a great exercise to do. It compliments your dumbell bench press very well, so do it on the same day. Its just a snatch with 1 arm and a dumbell. Since you already do snatch I could tell you a weight to start. Whats your dumbell press and snatch max’s? I know its a pain in the ass at my weightroom to grab a dumbell and move it to where i can do a snatch and if I need a heavier or lighter one. I started at around 55 in the winter and now I did 75 easily and thats the last weight in our dumbell set.

Also you can’t underestimate crunches. They’re great abb workouts google it and you will find a bunch of different onces. On abb days incorporate 3 abb workouts.

I’m trying to think of some other small exercises to do. I think those ones are the best esepcially when you discover a workout on your own you usually have an urge to do it a lot and use it. Know what I mean or no? If you don’t you should do some research and find some small workouts not time consuming that will help certain muscles.

[quote=“3and0”]
Wow, at 14 doing the right type of lifting with the right idea is amazing, You are well on your way to being a great pitcher, especially with that kind of work effort. You could maybe add more substance to it but it’s definetaly a start.
But why one set of 5?[/quote]

the one set of 5 was a typo, i meant to hit 3 instead of 1. sorry about the confusion. oh and bower, i havent tested any maxes yet for the snatches, i was doing only 50lbs just to start out. it was pretty easy. and no i havent done a dumbbell snatch at all. yesterday was just a getting oriented in the weight room, i hadnt been in that one before and i was just getting used to where everything was. i think ill test all my maxes on thursday, just to give my body some time to rest. tonight ill be testing deadlift maxes and squats, just to help set some goals for me to fulfill before the winter sports season. and i know what u mean with the one workout u discover and want to keep doing it. my advice is to keep expanding on that one workout and do the best you can to improve it. thats what your in the weight room to do right?

didnt max on either the deadlifts or squats :cry: cause all of my explosivness was gone after a conditioning circuit. started with a 1/2mile full run, basic dynamic stretches, alot of lunging, alot of sprints, alot of core work, and alot of plyos. then the workout set up for us in the weight room was:

Step ups on to 24" box: 4x8 with each leg. did these with 2 35lbs dumbells
Leg press: 3x15 working on exploding up.
tricep extensions on ball: 3x10 with 35lb dumbbell
hyperextensions: 3x10 with 25lbs plate.
Deadlifts:4x15 with 90 lbs just to work on form, in my opinion it was way to easy but the coach didnt want us increasing weight till he saw our form through the 15 reps.
Hammer curls with 45lb bar: 3x10

i didnt like the workout at all today. I felt it was geared towards bodybuilding with the high reps and minimum sets. i dont understand why the coach had us doing that cause he was an athlete and from what i hear an elite powerlifter, but whatever. thursday i will do my best to get my maxes in, but they may be a little low seeing as i have a speed development session before i can workout. i know ill be getting b****ed at by the track coach about my sprint form, which i already know is horrible and i can become much faster by just improving that, which im really looking forward to. tommorow i shouldnt be doing anything seeing as im going up to nyc to watch the yanks play the orioles. im looking forward to watching joba and hopefully ill be able to see rivera in there.[/code]

Yeah man the advice was to you. Keep discovering stuff like you said expanding that way you’ll find your having fun in the weightroom and showing guys some new stuff.

I did a lot of DB snatch and I workout with the football team even though I don’t play. Well the football coach must have seen me doing that and added it to the list this summer. He always has me show the new guys the olympic stuff because of my form and the DB snatch. Its a good feeling to show other guys what to do. I am up to 75lbs. on the 1 arm dumbell snatch but thats the last weight in our set so I can’t go any higher. A lot of the younger kids were amazed. I was too I can barely carry over the weight but I have those muscles built to lift it over my head.

Just have fun in there dude and take a break once in a while. I think I just realized that. Mind you I’m not on the football team and from mid winter to end of the school year I was the only kid not on the football team so I didn’t have to be there at all. Well I skipped game days for obvious reasons and I skipped 2 days for almost half of the school year getting up at 530 in the morning to workout when I never had to. I regret not taking more days off. Today was the first day I took off this summer if I didn’t have to work. I just realized that I need a day off once in a while. I love working out more than a lot of stuff. I’m sure you’ll get hooked to it becuase I sure am. But its good to take a break once in a while and don’t forget that. An extra day of healing is always good. It isn’t bad to take a day off of baseball too I throw every day so I’m gonna take a day off soon just to let my body heal and do some other stuff for a day.

Good luck with everything.

Bower

coulnt lift yesterday. i didnt have a ride to the weight room. pissed about that because my next lift day is tuesday, a long way away. ill probably throw a bullpen or 2 before that, depending on when my brother feels like catching me. and the yankee game was amazing. perfect seats and a blowout. plus i could “analyze” joba’s mechanics. its alot different seeing the players in person, they really look small on television.

finnally time to post somethin here. between school and everything else im like all messed up. anyhow, 10 more days till my fall season is over and then im in the weight room 3 times a week, maybe more. Will be starting ws4sb over again, in hopes to gain some mass for basketball and then baseball. vertical jump workouts should have an effect on my velocity. saturday ill stop at gnc and pick up some weight gainer 2200 gold. its pretty cheap with a gold card and its packed with vitamins, protein, carbs, and calories. should help me get some more mass because im on a low calorie diet with my schools lunches. probably only about 2100 per day and i dont think my mom would be happy if i ate all of the food she buys faster than usual.

i may be pitching tommorow as a fill in for my friends fall baseball team. kinda last minute seeing as im not even sure if they need me yet.

see if you can get video

didnt do my greatest. one inning but no runs. 22 pitches if im correct. felt so tired, probably only threw 55-60mph at the most. curve was there, dropped a few in the dirt for swinging strikes. i couldnt get any video, ill try my best to get my hands on a camera this week though.