Using Small Weights

Hello , Today i experienced using little 1lb Weights and going through my mechanics using them , and i noticed a much fast speed within my arm right after using it.

Not sure if this is a smart drill to do , but i did in fact notice a difference when i had the ball in my hand.

So if you know anything about this please let me know what the results are , if any. Thank you

Same concept as weighted balls

so which method would you believe is safer on the arm , i have 10oz and 12 oz weighted balls

just messing around with 1lb weighted balls or dumbbells is a good way to hurt yourself. There ARE effective weighted ball programs out there, but they are structured, slowly progressed and tend to use balls in the 4-6 oz range primarily. I suggest looking into finding a structured weighted ball program rather than just messing around with your heavy ball.

Lanky,
What are your thoughts on the NPA’s new velocity program (using weighted balls from 2oz to 2lbs)? Steve Delabar used it and ended up throwing 97 from it. To my knowledge though, they don’t actually throw the 2lb ball but rather hold onto it, much like tennis players hold onto their racket and rarely suffer shoulder injuries (elbow is a different story)

They start talking about the program around 3:30 then again at 8:30

without having seen the entire program, all I can tell you is there are a ton of similarities between what was shown on the video and programs like Paul Nyman’s BWBK training, Ron Wolforth’s training methods and even some Mike Marshall shoulder strengthening/pronation drills. Cressey also prescribes similar decelerator drills to some of his athletes.

I can’t comment much further on it except to say I’m interested to see how exactly it differs from the other weighted ball techniques I’ve experienced, and I’m considering tinkering with some of these techniques over the summer with my friend Dan Blewett at his Warbird Training Academy in Bloomington, Illinois.

I have always felt like the true power of weighted balls is not just strengthening the shoulder and cueing intent, but providing very useful motor feedback to help iron out inefficiencies in arm action or other areas of the player’s mechanics. If you haven’t thrown a weighted ball it may be hard to understand what I mean, but the added weight almost forces you to stay looser, longer and more fluid with your arm. Pauses or blips in the arm action feel much bigger and more noticeable with a 6, 7 or 8 oz ball. Coupled with an effective pitching coach to help point out obvious mechanical flaws, the weighted balls do much of the teaching on their own…the key is using weights that aren’t going to cause injury and that will preserve the appropriate biomechanics of the throw.

You could also look into this program by Kyle Boddy.

Since we’re talking about the NPA thing too…

To get the positive side of the NPA program, I’d ask Roger on this site.

I agree with jimster, check out that program, I have it and it looks great, just waiting until I’m out of season before starting it.

kyleb,
Great read, thank you for sharing