Updated Video: 15-year old LHP

Greetings, all…

Here are some updated videos of my son. Any help would be appreciated.

This first one is from about 10 months ago (as a Freshman). I posted this before:

Here are a couple from tonight…(as a Sophomore).

Solid mechanics you have. Although I think you should keep your weight longer on your back leg just before you plant your front foot.

wow we have the exact leg double tap thing… i am not totally sure what causes it or if it makes us lose velo

Thanks, Mikaa…funny, he’s been hearing that from his pitching coach for weeks!!!

Drewski…what does that mean?

Thanks, guys.

like how your back leg collapses then hits the ground again before you finish… it doesnt drag like normal

I just looked at your video. I’m sorry I don’t fully get “collapse”. Do you mean that the back leg knee bends and the foot seperates from the rubber and then later drags?

Drewski…

I think I get it. Check out this video from laflippin of Cole Hamels. I think you mean that his back leg is not bent when you say “collapse”. I noticed that my son does almost “kneel down” when he delivers. I noticed the same thing at 2 seconds in on your video, here:

If I have this right, what’s the problem? Does it rob velocity? Also, what’s the remedy for collapsing the back leg?

I also noticed that my son (and you, to some extent), also pulls his head to the third base side. I don’t know if that is related or not.

ya you can see easily how my lower body drops just prior release instead of exploding through my front leg…

idk about head tilt to 3b… i think its just the tilt of the shoulders in my video at least

i also think if you look my foot slides during knee lift that could be causing lack of stability during leg extension

also it could be a hip flexor strength issue… when you extend your hip flexor it has the same elastic energy as anything else when you rotate your hips… could be not strong enough to contract and bring the leg around forcefully

idk just guesstimations… if anyone has answers please post

I’d advice you both to look at slowmotion videos from Laflippin on Youtube. Especially this one from Justin Verlander, look at his lower body and specifically to his weight transfer. Unlike you, Gettingthere, his weight is transferred at the very last moment (28 sec in the vid). Compare your video frame by frame to Verlanders’ mechanics.

I hope this somehow can be used as a great example as it is for me.

–video–

[quote=“gettingthere”]Greetings, all…
Here are some updated videos of my son. Any help would be appreciated.
This first one is from about 10 months ago (as a Freshman). I posted this before:

Here are a couple from tonight…(as a Sophomore).

It appears to me that his back leg is collapsing.
He probably should try to stabilize it during his delivery.

stabilize once you have the leg triple extended?

Good video, Mikea. I noticed that Gettingthere Son is almost “falling over” upon foot plant. In other words, it looks a bit like he is running down hill. I’m assuming that is a weight transfer issue. We have started doing the towel drill daily. I’m not very good as seeing things real time like many of you. I need video and I need your help. However, I find the drill very helpful for feedback. When he doesn’t hit the target with the towel, I can “reflect” on what I saw and, often, it’s a couple of things. First, he’s not on a line (he falls off to third base; he’s a lefty) or he will “pull” with his glove arm and open up much too soon (and not have the extension to reach the target). Much to work on but the collapsing of the back leg really has me stumped. Keep the advice coming. Drewski…we downloaded some hip flexsor strenghtening drills. He’s going to incorporate them into his lower body routine.

Thanks, all.

I looked at your side view over and over again. The thing which catches my eye is your upper body is moving too fast. Your hands break too early which causes your lower body to rush. Look at the video posted earlier of Verlander. See when he breaks his hands- your hands break at the moment you’re at the peek of your leg lift. Instead, break your hands during the slide step and be ready with your hands when your front foot is planted.

I THINK this is the solution to the collapsed back leg. Suggestions to this are welcome.

What is the leg triple?
The back leg of a pitcher must be stabilized so that he can move directly toward the plate.
A lot of pitchers (mostly Little League, etc.)
collapse their back leg during their delivery.
This causes them to lose velocity since their body is not moving
straight toward the plate.
When a pitcher collapses his back leg,
his weight shifts to the back part of his body.
A pitcher’s weight should be evenly distributed over his front foot.
Not too much on the toes, not too much on the back of his foot.
Collapsing the back leg removes the weight from the pitcher’s front foot,
and causes his momentum to move backwards,
which causes the pitcher to ultimately lose velocity.

ok

when i throw medicine balls my back leg goes through the target, before coming around, i assume you cant collapse and throw a medicine ball efficently or powerfully

so i think youre right i should transfer my wieght to my front leg better

Here’s gettingthere Jr…updated mechanics…any better?

This is from tonight. Sun was tough, so hope these came out o.k.

http://www.youtube.com/user/gettingthere1000#p/u/5/rJ2BR5dneD0

http://www.youtube.com/user/gettingthere1000#p/u/4/RQScYuszKzs

as

Sorry…your message didn’t come through.

I know there are all sorts of drills nowadays, but let me tell you what I used to do when I was a little snip. I would get a catcher, and we would go to an unused playing field, and I would take the mound (which was 15 inches high in those days) while the catcher would set up behind the plate with the mitt and sometimes a mask. We would play a little game we called “ball and strike”; the catcher would position his mitt in various spots, high, low, inside, outside, every which way but standing on his head :lol:, and I would concentrate on getting the ball smakc-dab into the pocket of the mitt—actually throwing through the target, not so much at it. I was one of those exasperating sidearmers, and when I would work from the full windup, which was most of the time, I would practice with both the long-arm and then later the slort-arm delivery as well. I really concentrated on the delivery, because I certainly didn’t want to fall off the mound or anything like that. It was a good workout and a lot of fun, and I did this with all my pitches, at different speeds—and the crossfire, which I had picked up at age 13 and had fallen so in love with it that I used it extensively.
There really is nothing like having a real live catcher to work with, expecially because he can see what you’re doing and can spot some anomaly that needs to be addressed. 8)