Updated Mechanics-Looking for advice

Right now I’m throwing low 80’s. I’m hoping with some help you guys can see some things I can do to get some more velocity.

[quote=“NY3Etrain”]Right now I’m throwing low 80’s. I’m hoping with some help you guys can see some things I can do to get some more velocity.
[/quote]
Just two things that I saw right away when watching this.

1. You are using your lower half, but not nearly as explosively as you could. You really want to create explosive driving force when you pitch, and that comes when you learn to use your legs better. Focus on leading with the hips in an explosive way.

2. Landing. I am not sure if it was the mound you were on, but you were landing on your heel and flying open. I had the exact same issue, and every once in awhile it creeps back into my mechanics out of habit. You lose velocity from opening up early and over stress your shoulder.

Thanks CSO!
I watched it in slow-motion and I wasn’t landing on my heel, but I was flying open to early with my landing leg. It’s a habit I haven’t fixed yet unfortunately. I don’t know why I do it and I understand it can cause a drop in velocity. What did you do to fix flying open with your landing leg?

My teammate actually said the same thing about my lower half that you just mentioned. I’ll try to get more of an explosive lower half in my next bullpen.

[quote=“NY3Etrain”]Thanks CSO!
I watched it in slow-motion and I wasn’t landing on my heel, but I was flying open to early with my landing leg. It’s a habit I haven’t fixed yet unfortunately. I don’t know why I do it and I understand it can cause a drop in velocity. What did you do to fix flying open with your landing leg?

My teammate actually said the same thing about my lower half that you just mentioned. I’ll try to get more of an explosive lower half in my next bullpen.[/quote]
Well, look at the image here
http://www.thecompletepitcher.com/pitching_faults.htm
. Instead of the head being the issue though, I was opening up like this, and my head and shoulders I would pull towards first since my heel landing caused me to pull off towards first. The way that I fixed it is that I actually worked from the stretch and focused on coming set, with a slight bend in my back so I was more balanced in my body. It sounds weird but it reminds me to stay balanced. Also, a lot of repetition is what is going to help also. I throw with the same guy here at my college, a tricky left of ours that I always let him know what I am working on, and after throwing every time, I discuss with him what I felt and what he saw. For you, you may want to try pointing your toes downward so you don’t land on your heel.

As for the explosive lower half, it is just something you have to focus on. To lead more with your hips, do the Hershiser drill.

Most often, how you finish is a product of how you start:

Look at your starting position - the staggered feet as well as the back foot angled back and sitting half on the rubber and half off. Instead, place your back foot flat in front of the rubber. Keep your feet exactly parallel to the rubber and level (no stagger). The severe angle and the stagger are the reasons why you spin off after landing - you actually place your landing foot in the right direction when you first land, but you spin because all of your energy is not directed toward the target.

Another thing with the back foot - the fact that you have the foot half on/half off the rubber causes you to not “stay connected” with the mound for as long as possible; you want to keep that entire back foot planted (rooted) to the ground as long as possible - push the entire foot down and back.

Another key change you should consider making is hand break - you are breaking your hands much too early; you are way up at the chest - you should lower your hands in synch with the lowering of your leg and break your hands at your belt/belly button area. This will create better timing with later arm action.

There are a few other things, but from this camera angle those are the biggies. It does appear that you actually land a bit too closed (to the right of the mid-line instead of on or just to the left of the mid-line), but tough to tell at this angle.

[quote=“structuredoc”]Most often, how you finish is a product of how you start:

Look at your starting position - the staggered feet as well as the back foot angled back and sitting half on the rubber and half off. Instead, place your back foot flat in front of the rubber. Keep your feet exactly parallel to the rubber and level (no stagger). The severe angle and the stagger are the reasons why you spin off after landing - you actually place your landing foot in the right direction when you first land, but you spin because all of your energy is not directed toward the target.

Another thing with the back foot - the fact that you have the foot half on/half off the rubber causes you to not “stay connected” with the mound for as long as possible; you want to keep that entire back foot planted (rooted) to the ground as long as possible - push the entire foot down and back.

Another key change you should consider making is hand break - you are breaking your hands much too early; you are way up at the chest - you should lower your hands in synch with the lowering of your leg and break your hands at your belt/belly button area. This will create better timing with later arm action.

There are a few other things, but from this camera angle those are the biggies. It does appear that you actually land a bit too closed (to the right of the mid-line instead of on or just to the left of the mid-line), but tough to tell at this angle.[/quote]

Thanks structuredoc, I’ll make some adjustments in my next bullpen later this week and post the video.
I did some dry runs off the mound with my foot parallel to the rubber and it felt so much better. I was able to get more of a push. Lets how It goes next session!

Bigger arm circle if you can