Update #3 To my 11/12 year old

This is a workout we did after we got some tips to bring his knee up a little higher…

We did a workout on Sat to really work on the top half and stay tight until just befor foot plant, see what you think.

So are you saying that his landing foot is not landing pointed at the plate? I’m a little confused at the drill; is he steping across his body line? could you clarify for me. Thanks

I say leave your sons mechanics alone. After looking at them they are fine and better then 95% of 11 year olds I have seen. He gets better hip/shoulder separation then alot of pitchers good momentum and just looks nice and smooth.

I think you should just let him pitch and keep doing what he is doing.

Of the four pitches thrown in the video, only the two seen from the front can, in my opinion, be used to judge stride direction and foot placement. In the first of those two, the pitchers seems to stride inline with the target but opens his foot up too much. In the second, he points the foot at the target but appears to stride to the throwing arm side. I don’t think that these two data points are enough to base any judgement on except to note that there is some inconsistency (i.e. lack of repeatability).

Now, could this inconsistency come from the side-to-side weight shift right before knee lift? Lack of core strength to stabilize the torso during the big knee lift? Dunno. We really would need to see enough to identify trends. Dusty is in a much better position to do this.

In general, this kid looks very athletic for an 11yo and overall his mechanics look very good. I will say, however, that I don’t care for the way he finishes with his glove behind him. Line drives to the head are serious business and I prefer the glove to be in close vicinity for protection - especially with young kids.

I took a look at his line to the target, the front foot was a little to the inside corner of the plate; he is leaving alot of pitches in so we will look at this issue. Tim

You can address that in one of two ways. One way is to change the direction he strides. This adjustment will push him out of his comfort zone a bit so he might get worse before he gets better.

The other way to address this is to move him on the rubber so is drag line ends on the centerline of the rubber. This requires no other adjustment to his mechanics so he should not have to get worse before getting better.

Do what Roger said second in that post. Move him until his drag line is on the center line. This should also fix his head position.
I would also prefer that his glove stabilized somewhere in front of his torso above his belly button and stayed there. More consistency in that.
Get him doing some kind of core strengthing activities as well. If he wants to lift his leg that high he’s going to need a lot of strength to balance himself.

[quote=“NPA Pitcher”]Do what Roger said second in that post. Try moving him until his drag line is on the center line. This should also fix his head position.
I would also prefer that his glove stabilized somewhere in front of his torso above his belly button and stayed there. More consistency in that.
Get him doing some kind of core strengthing activities as well. If he wants to lift his leg that high he’s going to need a lot of strength to balance himself.[/quote]

Wont his head position be the same, he will just be moved over a bit? How does moving over affect how the posturing of the body itself?

tmcgregor,
would you say justin is on a pretty intense core workout?

mr tim will get a new video clip of justin throwing in a week or so. we worked on the things coach xj suggested last week over the weekend and justin looks pretty good. the primary thing we focused on is getting tighter more forceful rotation just before the front foot comes down. justin did say that it made his abs sore (which is just what we want), and holding the rotation of the hips a little longer as he moves toward the plate. next time we’ll work on getting a little more movement out of the shoulder blades but it’s hard to work on more than one or two things at a time. coach xj’s stuff is very good if you haven’t tried it. rotational throwing for numbies is a must have reference. i use it constantly.

[quote=“Spencer”][quote=“NPA Pitcher”]Do what Roger said second in that post. Try moving him until his drag line is on the center line. This should also fix his head position.
Get him doing some kind of core strengthing activities as well. If he wants to lift his leg that high he’s going to need a lot of strength to balance himself.[/quote]

Wont his head position be the same, he will just be moved over a bit? How does moving over affect how the posturing of the body itself?[/quote]

I see what you are saying. If that is true, then there is a totally different problem. For example, his glove is pulling his head off to the glove side. That is a part of the problem, but he needs to be moved over anyhow.
Think about this: If you’re drag line ends on the arm side of the center line then you are throwing across your body. To make up for this, your mind tries to balance you by moving the head (and sometimes the torso as well if it’s extreme) off to the glove side. Think equlibrium. (Did i say equlibrium earlier in my post? I can’t remember :lol: )

[quote=“Spencer”][quote=“NPA Pitcher”]Do what Roger said second in that post. Try moving him until his drag line is on the center line. This should also fix his head position.

Wont his head position be the same, he will just be moved over a bit? How does moving over affect how the posturing of the body itself?[/quote]
It boils down to what the body can do or has to do to get squared up to the target at release point. Pitchers who stride closed and throw back across their body often lean at the waist to the glove side. This represents a late posture change. Moving to the glove side of the rubber reduces what it take for such a pitcher to get squared up thereby reducing or eliminating the late posture change.

"“J” does dustys ab/shoulder/hip work out and I’ll tell you what outstanding he did the whole thing from start to finish. With the little adjustment we did on Sat I have know idea how hard he is throwing because the bushnell gun we use is all over the place, but it is all coming together. I will post a new clip on Wed. Tim

Does anyone know how much off the bushnell gun is?

tim,
looking better. continue to tighten up and increase the rotation after he gets his foot down. that looks better to me. anxious to see what coach xj has to say.

this kid is an animal. i tried to kill him saturday and he just kept fighting. i would hate to be a 12 yr old looking at him 46-50 ft away. after he goes through the strengthening of his hips and core, there is no telling how hard he will throw. that is why i asked about the strength and conditioning of younger players on another thread.

it’s tough to have good mechanics when you do not have adequate core strength and flexibility.

my guy started throwing again yesterday. he is a carbon copy of justin, just a little bigger.

Does anyone have anymore input for us it is getting close to season so we want to get to it as soon as posible. Tim