Upcoming game Friday

Ok im starting this post righ now since I have time to.

Things on Friday’s start im going to really focus on.

Not being as wild in my delivery and more balanced and controlled
Try to pick up the target better
throw more change-ups with fastball arm speed

The balanced and controled part is going to be a big difference in mechaincs for me when I post the video. Im also going to work on staying closed.

To all the people who have been trying to help me with my mechaincs i will try my hardest to get a video up after fridays game.
And i think that i will have better mechaincs and you will like what you see.

Im going to have to get use not being so herkey jerkey in my delivery and more controled so i might open up soon or be a little off till i have 2 starts with the better mechaincs.

Ok I pitched today Friday i had a No hitter into the 5th and then my defence took a break and didn’t hustle and catch some balls. So I gave up alot of runs that weren’t my fault.

I think I did ok and was more balanced and controled and didn’t lean back as much I think Im going to keep my mechaincs like this unless anyone can see something wrong.

I’m pitching a bullpen sunday so I need help asap because im trying to improve the best I can.

take a look what do you think?

Frame by Frame

Full speed im going to upload right now ok

So what does every one think i need to improve on? I’m going to hopefully have a bullpen tomorrow but it might rain so idk

[quote=“RIstar”]… didn’t lean back as much I think Im going to keep my mechaincs like this unless anyone can see something wrong.

I’m pitching a bullpen sunday so I need help asap because im trying to improve the best I can.[/quote]RIstar. A number of us have given you advice about your leaning back but you seem to not want to change that. If this is so important that you refuse to change, which seems to be the case, I at least can’t make any more suggestions. That one is just too big but you’re married to it for some reason. My own opinion is that it’s holding you back and causing you to be very low and causing your release point to be pulled back. I also think it’s doing the opposite of what you believe it’s doing regarding explosiveness. As I said in an earlier post on this, I believe the explosiveness you may have is the lean back and this is making you think you’re explosive but it’s misplaced explosiveness. Just my opinion.

It was only my second start after the 1st video it’s hard to cut all the leaning out. I tryed to cut alot of it out and I think it was a little better then the first time.

Isn’t when I land im upright and not leaning back? How would the leaning back a little affect my release point when When im not leaning back at foot plant? It’s just a question it doesn’t mean im not going to try to fix the lean.

It’s not that i don’t want to change it it’s that im trying but it’s going to talk time. I thought last game that i did cut down on the leaning and I was more upright then the 1st start I had.

You seem to be really defending this leaning back idea. Our concern about this isn’t your position at landing but that it imparts a downward motion and actually inhibits the generation of forward momentum.

On top of this, I believe it, along with Dick Mills’ recommendation to keep the back heel down until landing, is inhibiting your hip rotation into landing. In your frame by frame clip, check out your position at landing and compare it to every pro clip in our library. You won’t find many who have the heel still down at landing. The vast majority would have the back foot pretty much turned over by this point. This is a matter related to effective hip rotation into landing. Dick used to vehemently insist that NOTHING rotates until landing but he finally admitted that the hips actually do rotate before landing.

I believe you really need to rotate better into landing. The back foot needs to rotate before you land, not after. Combine this with better momentum toward the plate and you’ll have something.

ok so all I need to work on better is to get the ankle to turn over better and that’s it. and keep on working on better momentum with my body then i will have good mechanics.

q’s about the turning of the foot?
would that give me greater hip/shoulder seperation? And do I already have good shoulder/hip seperation and about how much degree would it be right at the moment.

What can I do to help me turn the foot better? i just looked at the frame by frame and i know what you mean how it doesnt turn over till late but how can i get it to turn over? Need help have bullpen on sunday would like to work on it.
Thank you Dm59

I’d say you have less separation than you should and this is a direct result of the back heel being still on the ground at landing.

You ask if you get the heel turned over and better momentum, would you have “good mechanics”. We’d of course have to see it and then there’s the result. Also, who’s to say what “good mechanics” are? What you’re getting here is, of course, opinion. So, who’s opinion should you believe? That’s the tough part. I’ve been trying to point out some mechanics items that you’ll see in hard throwing, MLB pitchers. There are several others here who can give you their “opinions”.

Does anyone know what i should think about to help me turn the back foot over better?

Wrong. You shouldn’t be thinking about the back foot.

Persoally, I don’t see any difference between these new video clips and your previous clips. But I didn’t really expect to. You haven’t had enough time to practice the suggestions you received from the previous clips. And I don’t think you should be expecting to make changes as drastic as what was suggested in such a short amount of time.

But, back to your question. You need to be getting those hips going much sooner. In your frame-by-frame it is clear that your hips don’t start forward until you’ve lifted your knee and it is half-way back down. That’s actually very late. If you’re really trying to do what Mills teaches, it ain’t happening. Unfortunately, like DM said, it’s going to be difficult for you to achieve that until you eliminate the backward lean. The back foot will turn over and pull away from the rubber once you start building some momentum. Think about building momentum and the back foot will take care of itself.

im really having a hard time getting the hips going sooner and it feels like im off balance and not in control what can I do to change all of this and i don’t understand how i should be moving my hip forward when i left my leg its very hard for me to do.

Need some better explaining if you could please

Practice, practice, practice. It will take time to get comfortable with this.

There is a drill you can do. House calls it the “Hershiser Drill” because of the way Hershiser use to lead with the front hip. Stand next to a chain link fence so your glove-side shoulder is facing the fence. Your throwing-arm-side foot should be about 8"-10" away from the fence. Simply lift your knee and push your front hip into the fence. You’re basically striding into the fence. If you do this correctly, your hip should be the first part of your body to contact the fence. Do a bunch of these. As you get comfortable with this, you can move a little bit further away from the fence but not a lot.

Dare I suggest a “drill”? I know Mills is not big on drills but I think it is warranted in your case because you are trying to make a big change in your mechanics. Dare I suggest the “towel drill”? I know what Mills says about the towel drill. But, again, I think it would help you make the big change you need to make. You could abandon the drill later on after you’ve made the change. The towel drill would allow you to go through the throwing motion without worrying about throwing the ball and you could do lots of them without overtaxing the arm. Plus, the feedback of hitting the target will confirm that you’re getting your release point out front where it should be. You just need to make sure you’re gettng out front because you got your hips going and built some momentum instead of lunging or overextending. The target needs to be held at a distance of your stride plus 5 heal-to-toe steps and at your eye level at release.

i was looking at Roger Clemens mechaincs and he doesn’t get his hip going why is that. To gain momentum do you have to get the hip going like the way you explain it or is there another way. I tryed doing that drill againest a wall for a while then tryed doing my delivery and i have no control of my body is there another way how does roger do it and gain momentum and ground?

just noticed my problem its my leg lift and how I lift my leg. I would have to change the leg lift some how to be able to get the hip going sooner. I have a similer leg lift to ROGER CLEMENS so thats why I can’t get the hip going because the way I lift the leg.

Idk what to do?

How can I geet the same momentum without doing the movement at leg lift since I would have to change my leg lift.

I’m going to very slightly disagree with Roger here (doesn’t happen often). Not about the mechanics but about how to get there. You all know about my recommendations re: reverse progressions. I suggest that the hip into the fence drill is fine to get the feeling of what causes the front hip to get going. Where I have another idea is the towel drill. I’m not going to get into a big discussion about the drill. I’m just going to say that I don’t think throwing the ball is a bad thing. You’re doing well with that and I think you can handle it. My suggestion is a different “drill” that Roger has recommended to some others. It’s the one where you stand at the rubber, as in pitching from the stretch, but you cross your front foot over and behind the posting foot. Fire your hip sideways and then free up that foot and pitch. Finishing with the throw, rather than stopping or using a towel, puts what you’re doing into specific context, which I believe is a very good thing.

You mentioned not feeling balanced and in control. That’s the point, you’re not “balanced”. Your centre of gravity is not over the supporting foot. If you didn’t get your front foot going, you’d fall. This is an element of how momentum is built up toward the plate. You’ll adjust with practice and get used to it. Watch Tim Lincecum. He’s an extreme example but he does prove that you can do it.

As for the back foot, I kind of agree with Roger. The core firing is the real point here and focussing there is effective but I suggest that sometimes the knee can “hang” out toward 3rd, inhibiting hip rotation. My recommendation is to think about rotating the entire back leg, along with the core. Spin the enitire thing. The foot will turn over and the toe will drag as a result.

Good call on the cross-over drill, DM. Can’t believe I completely forgot about that drill. :oops:

BTW, there is a cross-over version of the towel drill. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“Roger”]BTW, there is a cross-over version of the towel drill. :P[/quote] :shock: :shock:

Had a bullpen to day

Hit down and in and down and away on the black

Change-up worked very well

Mechaincs:

Didn’t video tape them but it’s going to take work with the back foot.

I have a couple of questions why Roger Clemens, Dan haren, Dice-K and alot of pitchers that have good velocity don’t get there hip going sooner and they still can be very good?

Lots of physical talent and lots of practice. There are lots of pro pitchers that have what could be labeled flaws. But they have the physical gifts to make accomodations for those flaws. And they’ve been doing it for a long time.