Up and Over Drill

As ive stated in several other threads im coming off of Tommy John and thought im regaining my velocity and control im not where i need to be. I only top out several times through the game whereas i used to be able to consistantly jump up the velocity on 2-2 counts and such things as that.

A pitching coach that saw me pitch on more than several occasions in high school noticed some flas in my pitching notably not hitting a good balance point and sometimes slinging the ball.

My question is, he gave me a drill he thought might help at least to stop slinging and to just start coming through the ball and straight towards the plate because i tend to fall of to 3rd base (left handed). It is the up and over drill that i know Tom House teaches. For those of you who arent sure its when you start off the back of the mound and cross over your feet then as you release the ball you have moved forward so you are on the rubber just as pitching. He said if i didnt like attempting this on the mound i could just do it on flat ground especially. He specified its not just long toss but really trying to get behind the ball and come through it and finish ing hard. Sorry this is so long, anyone have any thoughts?

[quote=“alanshadow22”]A pitching coach that saw me pitch on more than several occasions in high school noticed some flas in my pitching notably not hitting a good balance point and sometimes slinging the ball.[/quote]What does he mean by “slinging the ball”. To me, this could be a good thing, so I must be picturing it wrongly.

[quote=“alanshadow22”]…really trying to get behind the ball and come through it and finishing hard.[/quote]Another question. What does “get behind the ball” mean?

[quote=“alanshadow22”]… you start off the back of the mound and cross over your feet then as you release the ball you have moved forward so you are on the rubber just as pitching.[/quote]What I’d like to know is what any of this has to do with pitching. You don’t do this when on the mound so practicing it will not transfer to the mound. Do you have video of yourself pitching, off a mound?

First off i do not have a video yet sorry. Ill try to explain what i mean anyways.

Saying i sling the ball i assume he means that i rotate way too much and completely fall off towards third base. I know every pitcher is different but what i think he meant is look at Roger Clemens granted im no where near what Roger is but he goes straight at the plate with very little wasted motion. This coach is saying that it looks as if im just spinning when i throw the ball and was hoping this drill would get me behind the ball. Behind the ball i mean going straight towards the plate and following through down or through the ball rather than sling it and just spin off the mound. For an image of this, im left handed and anyone can push bunt towards first base and i have no chance of fielding it. Thanks for responding.

Without seeing video, it’s very difficult to help out. I’ll make a wild stab at it though. Usually, “spinners” have very short strides, little forward trunk flexion and lots of shoulder rotation. One suggestion is to lengthen the stride by driving the front hip at the target longer, rotating the shoulders very late, and flexing forward at the waist toward release and beyond. Search for some of Roger’s latest posts and you’ll find his thoughts on the upper body motion. I think the biggest thing is the length of your stride.

Boy, am I fishing here or what??? :shock: You might post video that proves all of that wrong. :smiley:

Thanks i appreciate it, ill look into it, that could very well be the problem.

Gotta be careful with this one. If, by “balance point”, the coach wanted to to “stay back” and “stop at the top”, then that was bad advice. Pitchers need to get it going and eliminate any extra time they have in their delivery - like the extra time that allows them to spin out. You want your timing such that you can only get to the squared up position at release.

Now, if all the coach meant was that you weren’t maintaining balance, then that was ok. In this case, you need to pay attention to what your head is doing. It shouldn’t move up or down, back (toward 2nd base), or side to side. It should only move towards the target. I teach my kids to picture their head as a bowling ball in a gutter.

It sounds to me like the drill the coach gave you are “step behinds” - not “cross overs”. Step behinds are more general in nature - their only emphasis might be in building up momentum quickly. I have my kids do them for warm-ups. But they are not specifically geared towards balance problems. It really sounds to me like you had too much head movement, were rotating the shoulders too soon and too much, falling off to the side, and all of this was creating the appearance that your were slinging the ball and not staying behind it and throwing through it. If this is a correct guess, then I really think you need to work on minimizing head movement, getting the upper arms into an opposite and equal position at foot strike, and getting down the hill a little quicker so you don’t have time to open up too soon or too much. Work on the head first - it’s a big factor in the rest of the delivery.

Thanks Roger also, the last part you said is very true without me even bringing that up. I do have lots of head movement and perhaps that is what he meant by some of the things he told me. I appreciate it.