Unusual circle change up break for righty

as the title says, I am a right handed pitcher but instead of my change up breaking down and in to a right handed batter, mine has an extremely late down and away break. I throw a normal circle change up but I might know why this break is different. When I i release my change up, I throw it to where when i release it, my knuckles are facing the right (Suppination?). I have been throwing this pitch for about a month and have not had any pain in my elbow or shoulder. I was wondering if this break for a change up was normal or if this will hurt my arm in the long run.
Thanks, Alex.

It sounds like you aren’t throwing the pitch right. I hold mine with my middle and ring fingers across the seams, so like a two seam fastball. I have my pointer and ring finger on the sides and my thumb under. I pronate my hand as i release it. I feel like you should feel your middle finger creating the spin.

I throw the pitch with the same grip as you. I guess its because I suppinate when i throw it.

Actively supinating a pitch into release point is hard on the elbow. The correct way to throw a supinated pitch is to preset the angle before the arm accelerates forward and maintain that angle through release point. (And, of course, you need to limit how many supinated pitches you throw.)

Change-ups are normally thrown with pronation.

I may have mentioned this before—my incredible pitching coach once told me that just about any pitch could be turned into a nice changeup. He told me that you have to throw all your stuff with the same motion as for a fastball, and so you do the changeup with your grip—tighten or loosen it, or hold the ball further back in your hand or further forward. I remember when I was having trouble with the circle change, because my hand wasn’t quite big enough to complete the circle, so he suggested I use the backwards “c”—and a more offcenter grip. That worked for me very nicely. I used an easier version of the wrist action of my curve ball, and I got some nice breaks on those pitches.
A favorite of mine was the so-called “slip” pitch—actually a slider thrown with a knuckleball grip—and what it used to do to the hitters! :slight_smile:

I would say that you are most likely putting too much pressure on the right side of the ball, and that’s pretty obvious if the ball is moving similar to how a cut fastball would break. Try moving your middle finger a little further on the left side of the ball. I had an issue similar until I made the middle finger adjustment, and now my change up breaks down and in too a right-handed batter.

Thanks for everybodys input. I’d also like to add that I don’t break my wrist like a curve. It’s like a karate chop type motion. I also think I have a lot more control with this pitch.

do what’s workin for you.

Using a karate chop action sounds like a curve ball to me? That is one of the ways i throw a curve ball, not a change up.

Buwhite, that’s exactly how I threw my curve ball—with a sharp karate-chop wrist snap—and I used to get a very nasty break with it. I did the same with my knuckle-curve, and that baby would drop like a stone as it reached the plate, and the batters would swing and miss it by a mile!
Now—I think I mentioned this before: at one point I was having trouble with my circle change. My pitching coach took one look and said that my hand wasn’t quite large enough to form the complete circle or “OK” sign, and that I should go to the backwards “c”—and use a more offcenter grip. I tried it, and voila! I had my circle change! The secret is to throw the thing just like a fast ball. 8)

?If I am right the poster was asking about his change up and why it had movement like a curve ball well…there it is, a change up should be thrown like a fastball just with a different and softer grip. Same arm action, same everything.

Bingo!!! I have long stated that you have to throw every pitch, and I mean EVERY pitch, with the same arm motion and the same arm speed as for a fast ball. Pitchers will run into trouble when they try to do otherwise. 8)

yep! That is a curveball. Only difference with any pitch you throw is the position of your wrist and forearm angle. Grip doesn’t matter as much as people think it does, all has to do with wrist position for movement on the ball. You are throwing a curveball.