Unsupervised weight room workouts

Some of you will begin weight room workouts at school in preparation for the season. And that’s a good thing. What’s not a good thing are some of the following:

Unsupervised lifting
Challenging one another to see who can lift the most
Dead-lift contests.
Bench lifts without spotters on BOTH SIDES OF THE BAR.
Operating exercise machines that your not all that sure about their operation.
Workouts after coming off of illness or injury without a specific workout plan.
Workouts without a diet table (schedule) to accompany your goals.
A specific workout goal – specific muscle groups and endurance charting.
Workouts without regular hydration (water) periods.
Workouts without regular rest periods, REGUALR REST PERIODS.
Skipping hot showers after workouts and not keeping covered after shower.

Coach B.

Thank you, Coach B. Do you think I could message you about some questions I have, and help that I need?

Great post Baker, very true.

Can you please clarify what this means?
"Skipping hot showers after workouts and not keeping covered after shower. "

[quote=“Corsairkid”]Can you please clarify what this means?
"Skipping hot showers after workouts and not keeping covered after shower. "[/quote]
i think it was a joke…?

[quote=“the_K_king#2”][quote=“Corsairkid”]Can you please clarify what this means?
"Skipping hot showers after workouts and not keeping covered after shower. "[/quote]
i think it was a joke…?[/quote]
LOL after reading it again, I think you are right. I ALWAYS walk into the locker room and see an old man walking around completely naked. Not cool!

[quote=“Corsairkid”][quote=“the_K_king#2”][quote=“Corsairkid”]Can you please clarify what this means?
LOL after reading it again, I think you are right. I ALWAYS walk into the locker room and see an old man walking around completely naked. Not cool![/quote]
haha. i feel your pain :lol:

[quote=“the_K_king#2”][quote=“Corsairkid”]Can you please clarify what this means?

No I don’t think so.

Hot showers are great to get the blood flowing through the body as the heat acts as a vascodilator.

Not covering up after a shower could lead to catching a cold.

Maybe…?

kjeezey
You have a good take on hot showers and covering after.

Hot showers with their warm damp heat relaxes the muscels and offers a great opportunity just to unwind, settle down and refresh. After a workout at a practice session or a game, a hot shower with a body gel or your regular bar of soap removes body oil and sweat too. In addition, standing under a warm shower head and letting the warm water impact your shoulders, arms, and back feels really great after an appearance that had you really working.
CAUTION: if your going to use one of those pulsating shower heads, NEVER, NEVER allow those pulsating shower heads continuously hit you in the chest. That pounding is not good for the heart - or so I’ve been told.

When you exit the shower, dry off good with a large bath towel, take another bath towel and wrap around your waist, drap another bath towel around your shoulders and relax. When your completely dry, talcum powder yourself, especially between the toes and cup area. Don’t skip this part. If you have a terri cloth bathrobe - all the better. In addtion, a relaxing period for about an half an hour does you good after a hot shower and talcum.

Don’t go outside without covering up with a sweatshirt with a hood. Now in the heat of summer this is just not practical, so use a little common sense. Don’t put your baseball cap back on with your sweat and oil still on the sweat ban. Bring a clean hat.

Try and think this way:
From the chin on down you’ve got some pretty important equipment that needs attention constantly. From the chin on up, that’s the front office that makes all the decisions to take care of the important equipment.

Coach B.

I ALWAYS walk into the locker room and see an old man walking around completely naked. Not cool!

I had to laugh and respond to this one.

A coach I shared space with knew Earl Weaver very well and he came into the club house before a game and said to me " I’ll fix those guys good this time". What he was alluding to was the small group of writers from the local paper and a couple of local TV sports guys that use to make every effort to make his life miserable when we lost a game or didn’t do well. One reporter in particular use to be a pain the @#!!.

That day we really got drilled - it wasn’t pretty. Down the walkway came the clan - recorders in hand, boxes of gear strap’d around their shoulders.
And they all headed right for his office. But this time he had the door closed. One of the crew got up the nerve to knock on the door …" come on in boys".

About ten seconds later out they came with the most discussed look on their faces, along with " oh my God" … “you’re nuts”… " that’s pathetic!"…

I poked my head into his office and their he was… sitting on a stool, naked as a jay bird, eating celery. That was just too much information for me to know.

It seems that he was talking with Weaver one afternoon and the conversation got around to obnoxious reporters. So, Weaver said to him, … " try this one on for size…"

Ever since that moment, that guy was one step away from a straightjacket.

Coach B.

Coach B that is hilarious. I can’t say that our coach walks around the locker room naked…that would be pretty strange…and probably illegal. But at my gym, it is usually my luck that my locker is right next to the old naked man’s locker…

Some coaches can be a real work of art – and can get a guy into more situations than a comic book.

One afternoon he walks into the head coach’s office where myself and a couple of other coaches were summoned, and he places a coupon for an athletic club and an introductory offer for a free trial membership.

So, later on that afternoon we head over to the athletic club and decide to take in a steam bath. – after all its free. We see some other patrons coming from an area with towels wrapped around them and sweating like crazy. The four of us crowd into this very small steam bath, close the door and sit. After a few minutes - and no steam, our squirrelly coach leaves and comes back with a large cup of water, then proceeds to dump it on the rocks and stuff in the middle of the room. The rocks cracked, the metal bottom holding the rocks starts to ripple and buckle. We bolted out of the steam room only to find out we were in a sauna. I guess you don’t dump water in a place like that.

Coach B.

[quote=“Coach Baker”]kjeezey
CAUTION: if your going to use one of those pulsating shower heads, NEVER, NEVER allow those pulsating shower heads continuously hit you in the chest. That pounding is not good for the heart - or so I’ve been told.

Coach B.[/quote]

Seriously??? How hard do those things shoot freaking water…? I certainly hope that an organ protected by a cage of rock hard bones, thick muscle, and a layer of skin cannot be harmed by pulsating water?

[quote=“FSTBLLTHRWER”][quote=“Coach Baker”]kjeezey

Coach B.[/quote]

Seriously??? How hard do those things shoot freaking water…? I certainly hope that an organ protected by a cage of rock hard bones, thick muscle, and a layer of skin cannot be harmed by pulsating water?[/quote]

That’s interesting. Can it possibly cause an arrhythmia? I’ve never heard that before. Hmm…