Unrealistic Goal set by coaches

It’s the end of the Spring season and my coaches told me they wanted me to be pitching upper 70’s and just hitting the 80’s…Im pitching lower 60’s and still can’t pitch a confident breaking ball…I’ meeting up with Ryan Falcon once a week and going to pitch in the Fall season. Do you think this is a realistic goal that I’ll be able to meet, and if it is how can I meet it?

I have seen pitchers add about 5-7 mph per year from 14-17 or 18 yrs old. To add 10 mph in less than that is going to be quite a challege, set your goals high and work with where you end up.

Unrealistic? I don’t think so. Evidently the coaches see something in you that they like and they feel that you can, with hard work and patience, come close to that goal of high 70s.
I have two suggestions. First, if you’re having trouble with the curve ball, consider the slider, which is actually an easier pitch to throw and to control because it’s easier on the arm. You throw it like a curve, but roll your wrist, don’t snap it—think of flipping a pancake or a crepe the way a chef does—and use an offcenter grip, index and middle fingers very close together and the middle finger just touching one seam, with the thumb underneath for support. I’ll bet you’d develop a real monster of a pitch. Second—and I’ve talked a lot about this, because you’d be surprised how many on this website don’t know about it: THE SECRET. That’s what I call it. What it means is, you have to get your whole body into the action—you drive off the lower half of the body, using the legs, the hips and the torso in one continuous motion, and as a result you’ll generate more power behind your pitches—and pick up more velocity into the bargain. Not to mention taking a lot of pressure off the arm and the shoulder, so you’ll throw harder and faster with less effort. (You might find a good pitching coach, perhaps one with high-minors or even major-league experience, to help you with this.)
And above all—as Satchel Paige once said, “Throw strikes. Home plate don’t move.” 8)

How old are you !? And what do you do for workouts that translate to pitching ? No i do not think its unrealistic for anyone of any age to add velocity. Just get into tip top shape and do explosive power and speed workouts and keep throwing ! you can do it.

well I have been getting training once a week from former Texas Rangers pitcher Ryan Falcon.

Don’t be content with once a week training. Ask Ryan what you can do 2 or 3 times a week in addition to working with him.

I talked to him and he gave me some resistance bands that you nail a stud in the wall or a pole that I should use everyday, and just for fun i have been throwing long toss 5 days a week for about 20 minutes or so with a friend who is trying to learn how to play outfield.

i would take it easy on the long toss 5 days is alot. give yourself time to recover. i would go with 3 days a week long toss and a pen.

if you’re 140lbs you probably don’t have much strength training experience…add 20lbs of bodyweight and even without mechanical fixes, which will undoubtedly help as well, you could add 10 mph.

What is the difference between a slider and a cutter, and which one is better to throw for some one with a body build like me

(I am extremly lanky, my arms are extremly long, I am fairly skinny for my height, and I have a lot of lower body stregth, but not a lot of upper body strength)

I see that you’re using both pitches.
Well—the cutter is actually a variation of the fast ball, and you might to well to work up more speed on it. Mariano Rivera throws it in the low 90s, and even if you don’t get it up to that speed you can certainly move it faster. The slider is a breaking pitch, not as sharp-breaking as a curve or as fast as a fast ball but is actually easier to throw and to control—you throw it like a curve but “roll” your wrist, don’t snap it: think of a chef flipping a pancake or a crepe, and use an offcenter grip. It’s up to you to determine which pitch will work better for you.
And do put on some weight. For your height, you’re an absolute skinnymarink! Eat more and do some upper-body strength training of some sort, perhaps with weights. If you can get up to 170 pounds you may find your velocity increasing on all your pitches. And make the most of your changeup—you might try a different one, such as a palm b all (my first changeup, and very effective it was too). Go to it, and let me know how it’s working out. 8)