University Walk On Tryouts

Hey i was wondering in university for a division one school do they all have walk on tryouts every year no matter how stacked the team is? Would a guy get in as a pitcher based on pure stuff? I was wondering because my friend can throw his fastball in the 90-91 range and tops out at around 92 do you think if he doesn’t have great control now they would select him as a walk on?

[quote=“newbiethrower”]Hey i was wondering in university for a division one school do they all have walk on tryouts every year no matter how stacked the team is? Would a guy get in as a pitcher based on pure stuff? I was wondering because my friend can throw his fastball in the 90-91 range and tops out at around 92 do you think if he doesn’t have great control now they would select him as a walk on?[/quote]maybe, probably not as a freshman, not sure though

I guess it would depend on the program and what they have that year.

If they didn’t sign as many pitchers as they had planed for that graduation year maybe.

Lots of variables.

If said friend worked with a pitching coach some over the winter and picked up some decent control, then for sophmore year he would potentially have a good chance, unless they are just loaded with pitching.

91 is solid. But if your at an absolute powerhouse school I don’t know, but at a small D1 school yours odds are better to a degree.
Some of the biggest schools really don’t have to do much in terms of recruiting. Players are lining up to play for amount of scholarship that translates to book money.

Specifically for whether or not they have tryouts, and then the dates, check the schools sports website, I’ve noticed it posted on some different schools.

A lot of times also, you just got to call the coach and see when walk on tryouts are too.

With a 90-92mph fastball, no-one wanted to pick him up?

Well he didn’t play in a league that anyone watched so you are suggesting that he email the coach and ask and tell the coach what he has to offer?

Not what he has to offer, but just ask when walk on tryouts are. But remember that he has to be enrolled in at least 12 credit hours before he can try out for a D1 team and for them to accept him.

You cant hide 92…me thinks there is more to this story.