Underrated pitchers

Who is the most underrated pitcher in all of baseball?

My bid is Tim Hudson

That’s hard to say. The popularity of the pitcher is most often shaped by the media and especially in different regions. For instance, I always thought Roy Halladay was underrated, but that’s because nobody here in Illinois watches Jays’ games, and our media doesn’t care either.

Tim Hudson is definitely underrated though. His winning percentage is certainly impressive.

However, probably the most underrated are found in Kansas City, between Grienke, Meche, and Bannister. Then you have Brett Myers who should never have been a closer. Maybe Roy Oswalt, despite his annually decreasing statistics.

they are over shadowed by others
tim hudson - john smoltz, chipper, tom glavine
roy halladay - bad team
greinke, meche - bad team
edinson volquez - bad team(rangers)

[quote=“kelvinp”]they are over shadowed by others
roy halladay - bad team
edinson volquez - bad team(rangers)[/quote]

I don’t think Edinson Volquez is underrated, this is really his first full year in the bigs. The most starts he’s ever had in the majors is 8. Besides he’s inline to be the Starter for the NL in the All-Star Game, and possibly the NL Cy Young.

when he played with the rangers he was
not enough pt

[quote=“kelvinp”]when he played with the rangers he was
not enough pt[/quote]

That’s just it, he didn’t play. Also, his stats were nowhere near the numbers he’s putting up now. That’s besides the point, he’s having a great year this year and he’s my pick for the NL Cy Young.

Also here’s his numbers from 05 to now:
2005 Texas Rangers 0-4 14.21 12.2ip 11k
2006 Texas Rangers 1-6 7.29 33.1ip 15k
2007 Texas Rangers 2-1 4.50 34.0ip 29k

Also, IMO the most underrated pitcher in MLB is Rich Harden. Career 36-18 with 3.42 ERA. If he ever solves his health issues he WILL be on the best pitchers in the game.

[quote=“Indianbball”][quote=“kelvinp”]they are over shadowed by others
roy halladay - bad team
edinson volquez - bad team(rangers)[/quote]

I don’t think Edinson Volquez is underrated, this is really his first full year in the bigs. The most starts he’s ever had in the majors is 8. Besides he’s inline to be the Starter for the NL in the All-Star Game, and possibly the NL Cy Young.[/quote]

I agree in that I don’t think Volquez’s underrated anymore but I think he’s been underrated. A lot of scouting reports were calling him a poor mans Pedro for the longest time, but only one report I had read on him, including my personal report after I saw a very impressive video of him in '05 (no I’m not a scout lol by report I mean what I thought about him), thought that he was being underrated, that the Pedro remark might be on point, but the poor mans part may be a little off. Turns out that that just might turn out to be the case. (Just to add, I’m not saying he’s as good as Pedro yet, I am aware he is young and a lot can happen. I had to add that because I could see that comment causing someone to respond to this and yell at me. =P) Than again just to comment for the other side of this argument, this is the 1st year that I’ve seen him perform so consistently, which could be the reason why he wasn’t rated so highly, but the potential was always there.

My votes for most underrated are any of the Toronto pitchers, Marcum, Litsch, or McGowan; McGowan not as much because I think more people know how good he is, but they’re all really good pitchers. I also agree with Brian Bannister, he seems to always get the job done. Being from NY I’ll tell you that I was not happy when the Mets let him go.

Greinke I think is were Volquez was, potentially great, but has been a bit inconsistent thus far in his career, perhaps the cause of the underrating?

Also I’m not sure if I’d consider Harden as being underrated either. I think most people know how great Harden is, he just hasn’t been able to pitch enough to win anything yet. I don’t think most people would hesitate to say that Harden could be great; wouldn’t he only be underrated if no one thought he was, and he actually was? I know he’s constantly mentioned in the rumor mills because teams know how ridiculously good he is when he pitches, he just scares people off because of the injuries.

i think velocity has a little to do with it
most people wouldn’t say greg maddux is as good as clemens, ryan or johnson

that moyer dude for the phillies is good but no props
it seems as the hype has dropped on low velocity pitchers that get the job done

why did the hype drop on okajima and matsuzaka?

My bet for Underated is Matt Cain. Nobody knows how good this guy really is unless you are a giants fan or have seen him pitch throughout his early career. His wins loss total does not even tell half the story. Also I think Mussina is very underrated.

matt cain is over shadowed by lincecum and once good barry zito

i dont know why mussina is underated
the whole yankees staff is except rivera
wang, mussina, chamberlain

Jair Jurrjens
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=4816]Justin Duchscherer
of the Athletics and [url=http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=28854[/url] of the Braves… WHO???

Duchscherer is currently leading MLB with a
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/pitching?league=mlb][u]1.91 ERA[/u
in his first season as a full-time starter. His fastball tops out at 86 and throws a cutter in the low 80’s. Also has a nasty 12-6 curve, actually it’s a “dropball”, that’s usually in the high 60’s–Barry Zito-esque you could say. Also can command a circle change, but he doesn’t need to use it much.

Jurrjens is leading all MLB
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/pitching?sort=ERA&split=0&league=mlb&season=2008&seasonType=2&type=reg&ageMin=17&ageMax=51&hand=a&pos=rookie&minip=0][u]rookie starters[/u
with a 2.94 ERA. Fastball in the low 90’s, tops out at 94. Two-seam with sink and four-seam with tail. Best pitch is arguably his circle change. Induces lots of groundballs with his pitches. Also throws a slider, but doesn’t use it much. He’s only 22!

Honorable mentions go to Joe Saunders of the Angels, John Danks and Gavin Floyd of the White Sox, and Ryan Dempster of the Cubs.

both of them are beast
jurrjens is the best in the staff now that smoltz is out
tied with hudson

Duchscherer is not gonna get credit cause his fastball is not fast
like maddux he is good but wont be stated with the elites

as a big a’s fan ima half to say “THE DUKE” is the most under rated pitcher
he has the lowest ERA in the bigs, n a nasty cutter

My vote would be Tim Lincecum. Now, I know that he’s getting major props today because he’s 10-1 with a 2.38, but this is after everyone in the world passed on him until his senior year, dissing him ad nauseum for his mechanics, size, and the fact that his dad was his pitching coach. “Not major league material” was the buzz. Now everyone is eating their words.

Hose

lincecumsnot overrated
he gets talked about alot
the giants are just not doing good

how about carlos zambrano

[quote=“kelvinp”]
why did the hype drop on okajima and matsuzaka?[/quote]

Sports Illustrated wrote a 3 page article about matsuzaka when he first was aquired by the sox, the 52 million dollar contract had something to do with it. In japan this kid also threw back to back 150 pitch outings regularly, never iced his arm, threw 300 foot long toss everyday, it was crazy. then when he got here it was ok this kid isnt as good as everyone though he was. and everyone moved to tim lincecum. also with beckett and lester’s no no he is not in the any big accomplishment club.

What a lot of people seem to forget about Okajima and Matsuzaka is that they came over from Japan where the ball is smaller and the pitching distance isn’t quite what it is here. Of course those guys were lights-out there, but it’s another story here, and apparently they haven’t been quite able to make the adjustment.
As for some other pitchers for whom the “hype” has dropped, that’s simply because they’re not those big overpowering guys. Rather, they’re finesse pitchers—“snake jazz” pitchers if you will—with not much speed, but they win more than their share of games not only because they have a lot of good stuff but also because they have the control and the command. For instance, Jamie Moyer. I always enjoy watching him pitch because he can outthink the batters—he’s a pitcher, not just a thrower, and never mind his age. He could keep going until he’s 50, more power to him. As a matter of fact, I rather prefer this type of pitcher to the thrower who can fire his fast ball at 100 miles and hour but can’t find the plate! 8)

[quote=“kelvinp”]lincecumsnot overrated
he gets talked about alot
the giants are just not doing good

how about carlos zambrano[/quote]
Uhh, Did you read what he wrote at all?

my bad
i misread it

but how about carlos zambrano
he doesn’t get talked about alot

my bad
i misread it

but how about carlos zambrano