Under Water conditioning?

Ive heard of hitters swinging bats under water for resistance training to increase bat speed. Do you think it would work the same way for a pitcher trying to become stronger/faster? (hope you have reverse bouyancy) :slight_smile:

In my opinion…I’m not sure you increase speed in anything (running, hitting, throwing ) by doing it slower.

i remember hearing that Pedro Martinez did swimming for some conditioning but im not that sure about it.

[quote=“terprhp”]In my opinion…I’m not sure you increase speed in anything (running, hitting, throwing ) by doing it slower.[/quote]I agree.

Most of the swimming programs you hear about major-league pitchers doing are “regeneration” swim routines. They’re essentially low impact movements to increase bloodflow (and typically performed on light, recovery days). IMG Baseball Academies and the International Performance Institute (both in Bradenton, Fla.) have their athletes do this. However, it’s not to train mechanics, or perform conditioning, but rather to rest and relax.