Uncle Roy

I was blessed enough to get to see the last 3 innings on the MLB channel…the man is going to do this again…Last night there was no way anyone was hitting him…his location, his speed…the movement…Yow! He even went to 3-2 several times and just threw the perfect pitch each time to record the out…It was a wonder to watch…

This link takes you to a nearly 6 minute vid of the hi-lites…great things to learn…

http://philadelphia.phillies.mlb.com/news/wrap.jsp?ymd=20100529&content_id=10589132&vkey=wrapup2005&fext=.jsp&team=away&gid=2010_05_29_phimlb_flomlb_1

[quote]Refined ‘Doc’ Halladay Was Bound to Deliver Perfection3

5/30/2010 1:50 AM ET By Anthony L. Gargano

Anthony L. Gargano

Down in baseball’s sleepiest port, under the cloak of a holiday weekend, with the hometown’s focus on the Flyers, yes, squarely on Stanley, especially after the ballclub’s forgettable week, Roy Halladay bullied history. And doesn’t history happen that way?

In another time, without sacred scrolls running at the bottom of flatscreens and instant alerts and programming break-ins, Halladay’s perfect game against the Marlins is Wilt Chamberlain’s 100-point night in Hershey. It becomes great sports lore in Philadelphia, with scores swearing they watched live, and everyone else wondering if such perfection really happened because it happened in Florida, invoking the conundrum of the falling tree in the forest.

Alas, there’s proof, if only because sooner or later, the best pitcher in baseball had to throw a perfect game.

Baseball justice says so.

Halladay came close to a no-hitter once before, way back on Sept. 27, 1998, when he was just a young Blue Jay making the second start of what would be a dominating career. He recorded 26 consecutive outs without allowing a hit that night against the Tigers, only to be cursed by Bobby Higginson’s cruel first-pitch swat into the seats.

Share When he gets past the first inning unscathed and has the kind of hard, diving stuff he did on this night, Halladay always seems on the verge of throwing one. But leave it to Halladay to finally do it on an obscure evening, with so many eyes diverted elsewhere. It’s the story of his career, dominating baseball from a hockey town.

The best pitcher in baseball has always been underrated. If he’s anywhere but Toronto, pitching for a below-average team in the same division with the Yankees and the Red Sox, Halladay becomes legendary. He’s the clean Clemens, the sober Doc, offering the anticipation of Stephen Strasburg every time he pitches. And if he’s anywhere but Toronto, the home fans would have Tea-Partied their tickets before letting him go to Philadelphia.

At 9:23 p.m., the evening of May 29, Ronny Paulino grounded that spinner to third and Halladay became the 20th pitcher in the history of the game to throw a perfect game and the second this month. And while young Dallas Braden was such a great story, accented sweetly by his grandmother, Halladay’s accomplishment rings wholly authentic, a sort of foregone conclusion, an exclamation point to a career of dominance thus far in darkness. Hopefully, the rest of Baseball America will see now what those AL hitters saw for all of those years.

It’s probably unfair to whisk him into the spotlight since he hates it more than allowing a baserunner. He’s not chatty, and he rarely holds court with the writers, the way the greats do, happily explaining the mysteries of pitching. Down at spring training in Clearwater, Fla., he barely spoke to anyone, except maybe to the early-morning guard at the Carpenter Complex.

Kyle Kendrick, one of the young Phils’ pitchers, tried to shadow him, copying his unrelenting work ethic, until Halladay swept in earlier and earlier. It was still dark out when he’d arrive, Kendrick said.

It’s why someone close to the Phillies’ Ruben Amaro described Halladay as the general manager’s white whale until he finally landed him this offseason, eliciting great guff from a fan base that had fallen for Cliff Lee.

To date, Halladay has had one bad start, last Sunday against the Red Sox in which he allowed six earned runs and eight hits in 5 2/3 innings and struck out just one – only the second time in his career he struck out just one while pitching at least five innings. Many theorized that he was overworked, coming off a 130-pitch performance against the Pirates in which manager Charlie Manuel in a controversial move left his horse in for a complete game, despite the Phillies losing the game.

After the Boston game, Manuel was asked whether he thought Halladay’s poor performance stemmed from being overworked.

“Didn’t have a damn thing to do with it,” he said.

Halladay concurred. The poster child for the purging of the pitch count said then it was mechanical.

Saturday night, he said it again: “I was getting side to side. I wasn’t keeping my momentum back to front, keeping me off line going to home plate. I just felt comfortable tonight. When you make an adjustment and feel good about it, sometimes that’s half the battle.”

For the record, he threw 115 pitches in perfection, a whopping 72 for strikes. He struck out 11, third-most whiffs during a perfect game in history. Sandy Koufax had 14 strikeouts in 1965 and Randy Johnson later had 13.

Against the Marlins, he was vintage Halladay, with perfect location and that perpetual movement of his pitches. That’s what makes him so great, the dancing stuff, that slight dip that makes it nearly impossible for a hitter to make solid contact and get good lift.

Hanley Ramirez had the best swing against him, sending a ball to Shane Victorino in front of the center-field fence.

“We played great defense,” Halladay said. “In order do something like that, you need a lot of luck, a little bit of execution and good defense.”

He then toasted his catcher, Carlos Ruiz, offering up half the credit.

“We were aware of it,” he said. “You’re always aware (of a perfect game) from the first inning on. But I don’t think you’re ever really thinking of throwing a no-hitter until the eighth or ninth. Once I got two outs in that ninth inning, I felt like I had a chance to make some pitches and get it.”

Even in history, he’s understated.

The understated, the underrated Doc. Leave it to Halladay to do history the way everyone else does lunch.[/quote]

Fantastic performance.

I just read that he got right back to work this morning like nothing happened. Truly an example all players can follow: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5234017

Stu