Umpiring

How many of you umpire/used to umpire? I umpired at my Little League between the ages of 9-16 and it was great! I made a ton of cash by enjoying my favorite past time! It was not uncommon to make $40 a game during the normal season by umpiring 8 or 9 year olds, or during the fall I was able to make $200 on a Saturday by umpiring 9 year old travel. Excellent money!

Unfortunately, I gave it up. As I started getting into the 10, 11, and 12 yr old travel, the coaches were unbearable. I told myself I would only umpire when I enjoy it, and unfortunately, some coaches made it no fun for me.

EDIT: Not sure if I should have posted this in the “Rules” board. I figured umps, rules, what the heck LOL.
Feel free to move it if it belongs in a better spot.

Corsairkid,

Perhaps the most uncomfortable part of my time spent coaching 16U baseball was the grief opposing coaches would give the umpires. Some of these umpires were good, some bad but the conduct of the other coaches was unbelievable. I’m mean really, what are we teaching the guys on the team when we throw tantrums over a call that for the most part did not determine the outcome of the game. And even when it did, I preferred to tell my guys to win it anyway. I spent alot of time breaking up arguements and fights at my job; I didn’t need to do it in my spare time.

One thing I always impressed on my son and I enforced it was…don’t ever blame the results of your performance on an umpire. If you have to pitch to a strike zone the size of your fist then make the adjustment and quit laying the blame on the ump, or the weather or the mound or your defense or…

The truth is when you accepted money for umpiring…you became a professional umpire and you should be treated with due respect. When I was little league age, my cousin who was in his twenties umpired in our league. We were the sons of steel workers and we knew the consequences of disrespect. Anyway, I recall one of the opposing coaches disagreeing with my cousin over a call and he hauled off and got him in the eye with a sucker punch. My dad, who was also my coach and a pretty tough mill hunkie “got even” later on. No police needed, thank you very much.

[quote=“Dino”]Corsairkid,

Perhaps the most uncomfortable part of my time spent coaching 16U baseball was the grief opposing coaches would give the umpires. Some of these umpires were good, some bad but the conduct of the other coaches was unbelievable. I’m mean really, what are we teaching the guys on the team when we throw tantrums over a call that for the most part did not determine the outcome of the game. And even when it did, I preferred to tell my guys to win it anyway. I spent alot of time breaking up arguements and fights at my job; I didn’t need to do it in my spare time.

One thing I always impressed on my son and I enforced it was…don’t ever blame the results of your performance on an umpire. If you have to pitch to a strike zone the size of your fist then make the adjustment and quit laying the blame on the ump, or the weather or the mound or your defense or…

The truth is when you accepted money for umpiring…you became a professional umpire and you should be treated with due respect. When I was little league age, my cousin who was in his twenties umpired in our league. We were the sons of steel workers and we knew the consequences of disrespect. Anyway, I recall one of the opposing coaches disagreeing with my cousin over a call and he hauled off and got him in the eye with a sucker punch. My dad, who was also my coach and a pretty tough mill hunkie “got even” later on. No police needed, thank you very much.[/quote]
My last game I ever umpired, the one that threw me over the edge, was during a 9 year old fall ball game.

The two head coaches apparently knew each other, because they were joking around with each other the entire game. This included mocking my calls, and disrespecting me as an umpire. After the 4th inning, I called both coaches to home plate. I said “I will not tolerate any more mockery of myself, or the game of baseball. One more word out of either of you and you are both ejected, and you both forfeit.”

As I walked to the backstop to get some water, I heard one of the coaches say to his “buddy”, “Who does this punk think he is?! He needs to learn some respect!”

I had had enough at this point. I went to home plate. Yelled “Time Out!”. I then said “You’re gone, and you’re gone” (directed at the 2 coaches). I then walked off the field and found the tournament director who then forfeited both teams.

Later on, the TD said that he had had problems in the past with these 2 coaches. I had 0 fun that day, and I refuse to umpire again.

:bigtup:

I posted it in the “Call It” topic about my brother (who was 15) and was getting harrassed when he had made the correct call, by some guy who claims to have played college baseball but I doubt it. I was watching the game and hadn’t seen exately what happened but the ball started foul then rolled fair down the first base line. This guy was probably 5’10" or so a little chunky but didn’t look very strong. My dad is 6’3" 240 pounds and he started to stand up, I’m like relax this is kind of entertaining. A couple seconds later the guy sat back down but he was just a volunteer coach and the main coach who was sort of a pushover didn’t really stop the guy from arguing.

But had appologized to my brother for the assistant coaches actions and said he talked to him and it would never happen again.

Then this same guy had to umpire a game (I wasn’t there) and heard it was just horrible to watch and he missed a thousand calls. The league manager sometimes forgets to get umpires for the league, its only under 10 or 11. But he forgot the next game and as I was there I was talking to the main coach after I said if there wasn’t an ump I could do it and he was like good, thank god, the assistant umped last game and it did not go very well I’d love for you to umpire. I even had a mom come up to me and ask if I was going to ump and when I said yes, she was like good we don’t need the assistant to ump he was horrible. Hehe. :lol:

So I umped with no problems and claimed my money with the league organizer, I ump sometimes but usually my brother and his friend do it.

I umpired last summer for the first time and talk about pressure! Some parents and coaches are crazy! Especially the Minor kids. To me the younger you ump. the harder it was. I ended up stopping because it began to get uncomfortable and unenjoyable. But i might try it out again this summer to make some cash.