Umpires

in the PSAL barely anyone shows respect for the umpires, players, coaches, or parents. Its kind of sad

[quote=“Coach Baker”]The last couple of seasons I’ve watched some high school games (New England and Mid Atlantic) and I was impressed with the talent of both the plate and the field umpires. Very skilled and will versed in the applied rules.(MLB/Fed) Although there have been some unusual calls - but, all in all there seems to be a respectable core for the Standards of our Game.

I’ve also seen coaches with a good sense of “respect” more often than not at the high school level, for the person in BLUE. They pass on that quality to their players - in particular their pitchers.

In the leagues/divisions that your involved with, what’s been your experience(s)? I know sometimes a “call” can be frustrating at times.[/quote]
I can’t believe this was posted last summer! Where have I been?

The umpires I have encountered have been a real mixed bag. My son played in the u14 last summer and I found umpiring ranging from expert in Koufax regular season and playoffs to dads-with-pads in some of the tournaments. There are also a lot of tournaments that use one plate ump that is paid and then a field ump from one of the host organizations’ older teams, sometimes as young as 16 yo’s umping for 14’s.

With the advent of indoor practice facilities and specialized coaching, there has been an explosion of baseball in the Pacific Northwest. The quality of baseball and the coaching has really jumped up a few notches, while the officiating hasn’t kept pace. Sometimes its tough to get an ump, or we get one where we need two because the available umps are spread pretty thin. Overall, I am pleased with the job the professionals do, especially in the balls and strikes department. There is still too much squeezing of the strike zone when the pitcher is dominating, and it seems a most difficult thing for the umps to recognize a breaking-ball strike especially early in the season. But they do their best and for the most part call an even and fair game.

Some interesting perspective
http://www.valleysportsledger.com/columnists/ump82.html][u]here[/u
from an actual umpire.

An umpire on the circuit that our club was on had this habit of getting his point across by using his index finger and jabbing it back and forth just inches from a coach’s chest. It really irritated me to no end and I when it happened – regardless of which coach, I had to use every once of restraint. However, to be fair, some of the guys in our league deserved that kind of treatment – especially the wise guys on our roster. I know…I know, it’s not professional for the representative of baseball to act like that, but I couldn’t help muttering to myself “ some day ----some day,— he’ll get his.”
Arriving early to the park with the baseballs we had to supply found Blue waiting for me in the clubhouse, tin of mud open, ready to rub-up a few dozen. It was in the first inning that a pitch of ours went into the dirt and our catcher made a blocking move and turned his ankle. He blasted out a scream and curled up into a ball holding his foot. Our trainer went running out and tended to him while I sheepishly strolled near the mound trying to sneak in a visit without being noticed – but no luck, out came Blue locked and loaded to give me the….…well you know. Just then I noticed an elderly lady near the plate asking how the boy was. She was an off duty nurse from the bleachers, all decked out in her white uniform. The umpire while making his way out to the mound to tell me I was being charged with a visit, saw my glances behind him because the nurse was following him to say the boy was really hurt and should see a doctor. The ump must have thought our skipper was going to cut him off so without looking first – Blue whirled around … fist and finger a jabbing away with a “… now look here!!!”. To his surprise the nurse in her nice clean whites walked right into the mud covered finger … oh, dead center about eight inches down from the chin. He stepped back totally a gasp, she came to a screeching halt and a deafening “Oooooooooo” sound. sprang from the bleachers. There on her clinically clean whites was his finger print and in a not so nice place.
After the game, I passed blue in the hallway of the stadium and I just couldn’t help myself …I just had to say……”you little devil you.”
I waited all that season to have that umpire again behind the plate or on the field – but no such luck.
Coach B.

Great story. Too bad the nurse wasn’t a little younger, though. Then you could say you had been “saved by the belle”

Hose

Hose, I think you better keep your day job. I’m not sure the comedy circuit is ready for you yet. :wink:

:lol:

[quote]Great story. Too bad the nurse wasn’t a little younger, though. Then you could say you had been “saved by the belle”
[/quote]