UA Mouthpiece - NPA Shilling

This is an absolute joke of a product, and I’m ashamed of the NPA (not that I have a really good view of them anyway):

http://www.nationalpitching.com/equipment.asp

The idea that you need to spend $60 on a mouthguard to throw 2-3 MPH faster (BTW, they didn’t release this research to the public - we just have to take their word on it) is ludicrous. Yes, a mouthguard/mouthpiece can increase fastball velocity and improve the performance of other explosive movements through various physiological responses. But you can get a $2 one that works just as well as a $60 ripoff.

This is embarrassing. They should be ashamed of themselves, but money probably trumps all.

wow…that is even more of a joke than all of those balance and energy bracelets. what a waste…

I wouldn’t go THAT far. :wink:

The bracelets are a giant joke. The mouthpiece is legitimate; they definitely do help. But you don’t need to spend $60 on one. $2 for a cheapo one at Big 5 Sports (or whatever store you have) works just as well.

i would never believe that a MOUTHPIECE has any capabilities of making you throw harder

[quote=“kyleb”]This is an absolute joke of a product, and I’m ashamed of the NPA (not that I have a really good view of them anyway):

The idea that you need to spend $60 on a mouthguard to throw 2-3 MPH faster (BTW, they didn’t release this research to the public - we just have to take their word on it) is ludicrous. Yes, a mouthguard/mouthpiece can increase fastball velocity and improve the performance of other explosive movements through various physiological responses. But you can get a $2 one that works just as well as a $60 ripoff.

This is embarrassing. They should be ashamed of themselves, but money probably trumps all.[/quote]
I’d be inclined to put that product in the same category as the balance and energy bracelets and neckbands. But I know nothing about the claimed science behind the product so I really can’t pass judgement. Where are you seeing a claim of 2-3 mph? And why no disdain for UnderArmour who manufactures the thing?

yeah. i’m pretty surprised that under armour of all companies would make something like this.

[quote=“Roger”][quote=“kyleb”]This is an absolute joke of a product, and I’m ashamed of the NPA (not that I have a really good view of them anyway):

This is embarrassing. They should be ashamed of themselves, but money probably trumps all.[/quote]
I’d be inclined to put that product in the same category as the balance and energy bracelets and neckbands. But I know nothing about the claimed science behind the product so I really can’t pass judgement. Where are you seeing a claim of 2-3 mph? And why no disdain for UnderArmour who manufactures the thing?[/quote]

Roger, watch the video. Tom House says pitchers gain 2-3 MPH on their fastball as a result of the mouthpiece.

And Under Armour is obviously ridiculous! I thought I’d save my digital ink on talking about them. :slight_smile:

Money is the root of all evil 8)

Hmmm… Somehow I missed the video. I’ll take another look…

Ok, found and watched a video on UnderArmour’s site that explained how it works. They claim that the mouthpiece angles the jaw apart to reduce clenching and increase air flow. Seems to me the clenching will still happen but at a different angle.

Also found and watched the video on the NPA site. I know nothing about cortisol but if I had to guess I would say that any benefit from reduced production of cortisol would likely be realized by athletes over the course of a performance as fatigue sets in. Long distance runners might benefit more than baseball players. The video on the NPA site does make it sound like you’ll increase 2mph the instant you put the mouthpiece in your mouth. Sounds too good to be true.

Next time I get to talk to House I’ll have to ask him about the science behind this product.

Roger:

I believe in the science behind it. It’s well-known that a mouthpiece can help with fast-twitch movements. It does not require a $60 product to obtain these benefits. A $2 mouthguard from your local sporting goods store does the trick just as well, regardless of what UA says.

Note to The Undiscovered: The correct quotation is “The love of money is the root of all evil.” 8)