u12 recommend innings

Should pitchers in a u12 league pitch their innings consecutively and not re-enter pitching after they pitch. Many coaches pitch a good pitcher for 2 innings and may save him back for a final inning later in the game. I always thought once you are done you should be done to rest the arm. Thoughts?
Thanks

Many leagues prohibit reentry as a pitcher once removed from the mound. Coaches that use this tactic are leaving themselves open for criticism.

Pitchers should never reenter a game to pitch later on, bad coaching a potential risk to the pitcher.

Sounds very similar to some rules we have up here for that age group and I believe higher as well.

I never agreed with it when I was playing.

Looking back I feel as though that played a huge factor in injury problems for some guys that I know as well as developmental issues.

It’s a very very bad rule.

It’s a bad rule. Once the arm cools off, it tough to come back in and pitch effectively. Doesn’t matter if it’s a long inning, rain delay or youth rules which allows kids to reenter. One of the worse things for my son is pitch an inning after his team scores 10 or 12 runs on a cooler day. His arm cools off during the long time between innings and doesn’t warm back up.

[quote=“wbbank”]Should pitchers in a u12 league pitch their innings consecutively and not re-enter pitching after they pitch. Many coaches pitch a good pitcher for 2 innings and may save him back for a final inning later in the game. I always thought once you are done you should be done to rest the arm. Thoughts?
Thanks[/quote]

It’s a rule that’s been around for a very long time, even at the ML level. Is it dangerous? I’d say yes it was, but only if it was something used on a regular basis, and there’s where the rub is. I never saw or heard of it happening in the 7 seasons I was involved in our LLI league, I’ve only seen it twice in almost 15 years being involved in HS ball, and don’t remember seeing it happen at the ML level, ever.

So, when you say “many coaches”, what does that mean, and how many times has it actually happened?

I can’t think of any scenario where a 12U pitcher, or any pitcher, should reenter a game as a pitcher. IMO that’s just bad coaching and potentially harmful to the kids.

I can think of a lot of scenarios for it to happen, but they all involve worrying more about winning or losing a game more than the welfare of the players. :frowning:

I saw it at the varsity level this year…I’ve seen it before in BR and LL but everyone tends to look down on it. It makes me mad…at the person who allows it to remain in the books as something that can be done, year after year. Every year, just about every association reviews the new rule book…it never seems to get altered and I just don’t get it. :noidea: :reallyconfused: