Type of Pitchers

Would you rather be a pitcher that can throw a fastball at high speeds, for your age, and have a decent, but not great, second pitch.

Or

A pitcher that throws a average-slow fastball but also be able to throw a great curve and changeup

I am a power pitcher power pitcher, as in high speed fastball with an ok secondary pitches. And i would rather be a power pitcher and blow fastballs past them :slight_smile:

I am a power pitch but im finese and i hit spots and and change speeds

In this ocassion i would be a average fastball throwin.

Like glavine

The fastball’s most important.

I would rather be a hard thrower. and then later in life when my arm slows down i can be finessfull

Trevor Hoffman hasn’t thrown a fastball above 88 mph in the last 6 years & he has a change up. Not bad for a guy who has 500 career saves.

I’ll take whatever gets the job done.

power pitcher

i can’t throw hard and can’t get a curveball to break. i just throw change-ups after change-ups and change-arm angles

Well, I throw an average fastball but, for the most part, I’m a knuckleballer so by no means am I a power pitcher.

theres no better feeling than throwing a ball right by someone and watching them look back into the mitt wondering where the ball is for a split second

but then agian, keeping them off balance and out in front on a good change/curve is a great feeling too

I love seeing people hack at the knuckler and look back at me like “WTF?”. haha!

Do I have any choice in the matter? (chuckle chuckle) I was a finesse pitcher, pure and simple, not much speed but loads of snake-jazz and good control to go with it—and even when I picked up a so-called fast ball, 81 miles an hour (and I was told that for a finesse pitcher that WAS a fast ball) I didn’t use it much except to set up the hitters for my breaking stuff. 8) :slight_smile: :baseballpitcher:

Even though I don’t throw hard like I said I’m mainly a knuckleballer which is what got me into pitching I would like to be able to throw harder because I get a lot of crap for not having a fastball like our other pitchers and I think it’s why my coach didn’t have me pitch this year.

Oh, Pustulio, come on! You mean to tell me that your coach wouldn’t let you pitch this year because you don’t have a fast ball? Let me tell you something—there have been many coaches and managers through the years who wouldn’t give a pitcher a second look because he didn’t have a fast ball. There have been major league scouts who wouldn’t even consider a pitcher because he didn’t have a fast ball. And where did it get them?
Let me give you an example. Ed Lopat. He probably would have never made it to the majors because he didn’t have a fast ball. It was a good thing that a former umpire, Billy Evans, who had become the president of the AA Southern Association, persuaded the Chicago White Sox to take a chance on him. The Sox gave Lopat a thirty-day trial, and because he was getting the batters out they decided to keep him. The result? Four years as a good pitcher with a lousy team (and believe me, the White Sox stank on hot ice in the mid-1940s), and then he was traded to the Yankees and spent seven and a half years being a very good pitcher with a great team, 1948 to the middle of 1955.
And here’s the irony of the whole thing. The Cleveland Indians, whose deadly nemesis he was (40-13 lifetime), could have had him. They could have purchased his contract from the Southern Association’s AA team for a few thousand—but they chose to listen to their scouts who said this guy would never make it to the majors because he didn’t have a fast ball. And that decision came back to haunt them for almost twelve years.
So, O Master of the Knuckleball, don’t worry about it. There is plenty of room for us finesse pitchers. 8) :wink: :slight_smile:

I’m a power pitcher and I would rather be a power pitcher.

it should be a combination of both

randy johnson
nolan ryan
roger clemens

I am not a power pitcher but im like pustulio and i throw the knuck and i would rather throw the knuck than be a power pitcher anyday.

[quote=“Zita Carno”]
So, O Master of the Knuckleball, don’t worry about it. There is plenty of room for us finesse pitchers. 8) :wink: :)[/quote]

While you’re at it, Zita, why don’t you tell them about Jersey Joe Johnstone, another guy without a fastball?

Hose

And what about a guy named Stu Miller, who pitched in the National League in the 50s and 60s—he had three speeds, slow, slower and dead stop.
And farther back, the St. Louis Cardinals had a pitcher named Harry (The Cat) Brecheen, one of the great snake-jazzers of the era.
And there was a guy named Murry Dickson, who pitched for several teams including the Yankees—he too didn’t have much speed, but he had good breaking stuff.
I would be remiss if I didn’t mention, of course, Ed Lopat, who threw everything but the kitchen sink—and I came to think that he threw that as well. I never asked him about it, but I do believe he knew about certain things like the shuuto and the gyroball long before the Japanese guys even dreamed of them.
And don’t forget Hoyt Wilhelm—now there was a knuckleballer!
So, we finesse pitchers are in good company. :slight_smile: 8) :baseballpitcher:

He’s the one they modeled that Bugs Bunny cartoon on, isn’t he?

[quote=“Zita Carno”]
I would be remiss if I didn’t mention, of course, Ed Lopat, who threw everything but the kitchen sink—and I came to think that he threw that as well. [/quote]

He threw the eephus, I’m told

[quote=“Zita Carno”]
So, we finesse pitchers are in good company.[/quote] :slight_smile: 8) :baseballpitcher:

I never could throw a decent breaking ball, but everything else I threw had a ton of movement. I could throw big gas…but in the end it was my change up that was my out pitch. There came a time when most of the guys I pitched against could hit a fastball, even a very good one if you got it up a little. But that change killed 'em.

Hose