Tyler Berkimer Pitching Analysis

My 10 year old son just started pitching this year, so he only has a couple of months under his belt. He throws about 55 - 60% strikes with above average velocity compared to the other pitchers in his league. Any tips are greatly appreciated.

He’s off to a good start.
Two things:

1. Lift and thrust – instead of pausing and then having to initiate movement from the top of the lift, he should begin forward movement during his leg lift with the goal of getting his hips as far ahead of the rubber as possible by the top of his lift. Currently, he is straight up over the rubber at the top. Some coaches prescribe to not starting forward until at the top of the lift. I’m not one of them. I believe it makes it more difficult to time the portion of your delivery that is between hand break and foot strike and also robs a lot of velocity in youth pitchers.
  2. Hammer down–follow through with trunk flexion. He currently finishes very high. He should keep is back straight and be bent forward at the waist over his landing leg. At the end of his follow through, his shoulders should be at approximately waist level and his back should be flat.

I like a lot of what I see in the delivery right now including that he’s pitching from the stretch even though he doesn’t have to. I think these two things will help him have a more aggressive and high-powered delivery.

Thanks @CoachPaul. The finding of the balance point at the top of the leg lift is taught by our local high school coach, but what you state about lift and thrust makes sense. We will work on both aspects, and I’ll post videos as he progresses.

I call a balance point a static point or a zero momentum point, and there really should not be a static / stopped point in the pitching motion once it starts.
I believe in balance throughout the delivery, but it’s a dynamic balance that stays with you from first movement through the end of your follow through with the center of balance always on the target line. Does that mean that you should be able to stop and hold any position throughout the delivery? Of course not. That would be impossible. Yet another reason why balanced at the top of the lift as a check point in the delivery makes absolutely no sense to me.
I am at a total loss why that specific moment in a pitching delivery has become supremely important to have balance. To me, it’s no more important than any other point in the delivery.