Two-Seam Too-Young?

Hi,

My 12 year old lefty boy is in his third and last year of Little League Majors. Big for age, great four-seam FB, OK change-up.

He has been trying the two-seam FB as a third pitch. But in three years of Majors, the only two home runs he has given up are off his two-seam FB. Come to think of it, also, most of the hits off him have been off his two-seam FB. I call the pitches so I know this!

Seems to me like his two-seam FB is just a slightly slower, straighter fastball that is easier to see as it lacks the “blur” of the 4 seam. I have heard and read that the two-seam FB is hard to throw effectively from Little League distances (46’) because there is not enough distance to get the movement needed on it for it to be effective.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

From observing my son in LL, movement on the 2 seam FB at Little League distance depends on velocity. Once the velocity hits mid-60s and definitely low 70s, the break comes to late; therefore, acting like a straight fastball. By mid-70s, 60’ distance is best as it allows for the late movement. My son’s FB cut in on THE hitters best when the velocity was less than 62+/-. We’ve noticed the same at Williamsburg. The hard throwers have no movement on the GBP.

Thanks West2East. My son throws hard, so perhaps we need to wait on the 2 seam FB until he backs up to 60’.

Yep, I agree with West. He’s probably throwing it through the break. Wait til he moves back to 60’ 6" and reassess the pitch.

Hi,

My son is 11 and throws low to mid 50’s. He’s always preferred a two seam grip, he feels he has more control with this compared to a 4 seam. Last few months there’s been a noticeable change in movement with his 2 seam FB, and with a small change in grip he can get the ball either to sink or to run in on a RHB. I think if he threw much harder the ball would probably break too late, and any slower he wouldn’t get enough spin on it to create movement.

[quote=“Andersb”]Hi,

My son is 11 and throws low to mid 50’s. He’s always preferred a two seam grip, he feels he has more control with this compared to a 4 seam. Last few months there’s been a noticeable change in movement with his 2 seam FB, and with a small change in grip he can get the ball either to sink or to run in on a RHB. I think if he threw much harder the ball would probably break too late, and any slower he wouldn’t get enough spin on it to create movement.[/quote]
How did he change his grip?